PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds Want to Sell / Trade or buy for free? Then this is your section. NO COMMERCIAL posts. PLEASE COMPLETE THE PREFIX OPTION WHEN MAKING A POST FOR BEST RESULTS Please note: Any /all transactions are made entirely at members own risk, the forum cannot and will not be held responsible for any disputes arising.
Mark this thread as Unsold

FS[Western US]: Pampered 1997 XJ6 Vanden Plas

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 11:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pampered 1997 XJ6 Vanden Plas

The copy below was written for other used car sites; some of the comments on the Jag will be like preaching to the choir here... Tons more pictures at:

twgin's Library | Photobucket

With sadness in our hearts, we are selling our 1997 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas.

This car was purchased by us about 3 to 4 years ago with about 65K miles. It is now about to hit 80K. It was in very good condition when we purchased it and is in even better shape now. It has been into the dealer twice in that span for oil changes and overall inspections. The only other mechanical work I have paid for was to fix a leak in the rear differential and get the transmission flushed. Other than that I have done all my own work/maintenance on the car (oil change less than 50 miles ago).

In my opinion the 1997 X6 VDP was the pinnacle of the Jaguar sedans. Earlier models are infamous for quality issues; Ford purchased Jaguar in 1990 and by 1997 had largely succeeded in solving the quality and reliability issues of the marque. The 1997 model was a bit of a throwback styling wise, replacing the mid decade square headlights with more classic round headlights and curved hood lines. After 1997 the 4.0 liter six cylinder went away, the car was downsized for fuel economy, etc. etc. For looks, quality, style and comfort, the 1997 XJ6 was hard to beat. For my money it is one of the most beautiful sedans ever made.

I have fixed all the normal XJ6 stuff: mirror was reconditioned, intermittent wiper fixed (rubbed wire under the dash), clock reconditioned so that the display is nice and clear, new OEM style carpets, various louvers, trunk electrical and manual release, etc. The radio works well enough, strong stations are received loud and clear but the radio does not have strong reception of weaker signals, the antenna works fine. I haven’t put a cassette tape in in a long time. The CD changer works but is sometimes unreliable. Included is a second stock radio that I intended to get re worked and installed in hopes of better performance. I never got around to it, this second radio is included with the car.

The air conditioner works very well, blows very cold air (OK, everyone wants to say “icy”, so it blows icy air), responds to the temp setting, etc. Transmission shifts smoothly. Tires have lots of tread left, car drives beautifully around town and on the freeway. The mechanic at the dealer tells me that the brake pads etc. are mid life.

There are no electrical problems with the car; everything works: seat adjust, seat memory, sunroof, all buttons, all turn signals and lights, trip computer, cruise control, wipers, trunk release, rear passenger seat controls, clock, remote (1 remote with car, extra key, and valet key), fog lamps. Car throws no codes, the Innova scanner pictured in the photos goes with the car.

As you can see from the pictures the interior is immaculate. The seats have been cleaned and treated with Hide Food a few times. There are some blemishes in the leather here and there but overall everything in the interior is in excellent condition: seats, doors, headliner, dash, etc. All of the vents and power outlets work as do the fold down rear seat “tables”.

Also seen in the pictures, the body and paint is in very good condition. There are no dings in the body, although in the right light some small door dings can be seen if peering down the side of the car. All of the chrome is present and polishes nicely. No rust on the car at all. The paint is 8 out of 10. I’m not an expert on rating paint so take that for what it is worth. On the trunk lid are some spots that have resisted all attempts to polish them out. There are small paint blems on the rest of the car but perhaps only 1 per panel or so; they have to be looked for to be seen.

The car is 17 years old and has 80,000 miles; it is not perfect but it is very, very good. Between relatively low milage and overall excellent condition this is one of the nicer XJ6 examples out there. Note that it is a long wheel base car with tons of rear legroom (not all of the XJ6’s out there are LWB and this make a huge difference to the back seaters !).

I would hesitate to use one of these as a daily driver but my wife has been doing just that for the past school year with no issues. It has been a very reliable car for us. I enjoy travelling; I can deliver this car anywhere within 1000 miles of Central California for gas, $200, and a ticket home !

Asking $8,500 for this car. Any other pictures or information required, please do not hesitate to ask !

Attached Thumbnails Pampered 1997 XJ6 Vanden Plas-dsc_5206.jpg   Pampered 1997 XJ6 Vanden Plas-dsc_5191.jpg   Pampered 1997 XJ6 Vanden Plas-dsc_5163.jpg   Pampered 1997 XJ6 Vanden Plas-dsc_5154.jpg   Pampered 1997 XJ6 Vanden Plas-dsc_5143.jpg  

Old 06-14-2014, 09:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump

Old 06-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow what a stunning car. I only wish I was in the market. This one will go quick though!