Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antenna Mast Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool Antenna Mast Replacement

Good Afternoon...
My antenna moter works, but the mast doesn't move. To replace the mast, do I have to remove the top hydrolic pump and the antenna motor?? Or can I (I've done this on Eldorados) feed the plastic cord down through the mast hole while the moter is in "down" mode...
Thanks Folks
Fred

Old 07-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I replaced mine recently. It would have been easy except for the fact that the plastic cable had broken off in the motor. I removed the motor (no need to remove anything else) and took it apart to retrieve the broken piece of cable. If the cable is stripped of its teeth all you have to do is remove the external finisher and pull out the old antenna mast. Do this as you turn on the radio and the motor is running. You can then replace the mast, motor running as the radio is turned off and teeth facing to the right as you stand behind the car. Replace the outer trim ring and turn the radio on and off an it will settle itself. If the plastic cable is broken off inside the antenna, it will have to be removed.

p.s. If you have to remove the antenna motor coat the drain tube with silicone and it will go into the grommet easily.

Last edited by hlgeorge; 07-27-2009 at 09:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hlgeorge:
Afirstclassguy (12-21-2017), JagLoverX2 (03-05-2011)
Old 07-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you all for your replies and e-mails. I now have schematics and sage advice. Soon as I replace my VVT solinoids I'll tackle the mast.
Thanks again...
Fred

Old 09-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

how do you remove the external finisher.... does it snap on or do you need to do something from inside ????

Old 09-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

With a wrench. (Spanner for you UK guys!) It has two flattened areas on it. Be gentle and take your time. When electrically raising the antenna to remove it, don't be afraid to pull quickly and hard straight up at the end of cycle.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:16 AM
BeO
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Old thread, but I hope you don't mind me continuing on it since the answer might be useful to other XK8/R owners.

A previous owner of my car replaced the whole antenna motor assembly with a regular antenna. It doesn't look good. At all. So what I'm looking for is a complete power antenna unit, which isn't so easy to find in my neck of the woods.

So what I'm curious about is if any 97-06 XK8/R antenna assembly would fit my 98 XKR, and also if it's the same assembly on other Jags around those model years. Can I get an antenna assembly from an XJ for example? Would make it easier to find a replacement in that case

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by BeO
... So what I'm curious about is if any 97-06 XK8/R antenna assembly would fit my 98 XKR, and also if it's the same assembly on other Jags around those model years. Can I get an antenna assembly from an XJ for example? Would make it easier to find a replacement in that case

Thanks in advance!
I think you'll have a lot of options here. Any 12V system that will physically fit (and can be mounted) in the space available could be a candidate. Even something from another brand.

I'm probably forgetting something, but they all seem to work with a bi-directional motor and a clutch mechanism that slips harmlessly when the antenna hits the limit of its travel.

Good luck,

Old 03-02-2011, 02:22 PM
BeO
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis07
I think you'll have a lot of options here. Any 12V system that will physically fit (and can be mounted) in the space available could be a candidate. Even something from another brand.

I'm probably forgetting something, but they all seem to work with a bi-directional motor and a clutch mechanism that slips harmlessly when the antenna hits the limit of its travel.

Good luck,
Yes you're probably right on that one but what I'm really asking is what versions will fit without any kinds of modifications to the mounting brackets or the fitting through the hole in the fender. Could very well be that one size fits all, I have no idea, but I don't want to get an assembly from another car only to find that I'll have to make some serious modifications to it. I lack the tools to do anything like that.

Appreciate the answer though

Old 10-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old thread I know, but I guessed it would be useful to keep this request with the previous related one...

Has anyone fixed the problem where the antenna works, but is set too high?

so basically, power off, my antenna retracts but stops with 2-3 inches of antenna still showing - I can push it down manually the rest of the way, but it does the same thing next time...

it's pretty consistently stopping at the same place, so I'm hoping it's an adjustment thing..

TJ.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

When was the last time that you lubricated the antenna?

Old 10-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Now there's a question...

actually, I haven't yet (although I will now). I actually figured that it was an adjustment because it was pausing at the same bit each time - although I guess that could just as easily be lack of lubrication...

Old 12-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheoJones
Now there's a question...

actually, I haven't yet (although I will now). I actually figured that it was an adjustment because it was pausing at the same bit each time - although I guess that could just as easily be lack of lubrication...
This is happening with mine. After much manipulation and lubrication, I believe it is because the antenna is bent (try rotating it while it is fully extended). I tried gently straightening it but no go. Anyone have a good link for an appropriate replacement for the mast?

Old 12-11-2011, 06:26 AM
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I bought mine at Rock Auto...about $10 plus shipping. Instructions come on the package for installation.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I wonder if they have a non motorized option, maybe even inside the trunk.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:15 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by BeO
Yes you're probably right on that one but what I'm really asking is what versions will fit without any kinds of modifications to the mounting brackets or the fitting through the hole in the fender. Could very well be that one size fits all, I have no idea, but I don't want to get an assembly from another car only to find that I'll have to make some serious modifications to it. I lack the tools to do anything like that.

Appreciate the answer though
If you don't mind the shipping cost from UK to Sweden, Eurojag at Darlington had two early XK8's and one XKR in for breaking when I was down there last week. All three cars were front end damage so the antenna assemblies should be OK if they are still available.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a few options for non-mast antennas. I had one that mounted to the windscreen once. Some people put switches in-line so the antenna only goes up when they want it to.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:29 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

For right now I'm using an extremely low tech solution.

I plugged the antenna cable in to a short piece of coaxil cable leaving it entirely in the trunk.

The reception is remarkable.

Now to seal the opening. Unbelievable how much water gets in through that opening.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jammed antennae

I have a 2007 XK Conv. The antennae retracts to the last post and stops. I'm pretty sure it is suppose to go all the way down! I WD 40 it to death but nothing.
Any idea why and how to fix this before I repalce the whole thing?!
Thanks

Old 12-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

Help it retract by pushing down on it gently at the moment it gets to that point when lowering. Then clean the mast and apply silicone spray as lubricant (don't spray it on - spray it on a cloth or paper towel and apply).

Old 12-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If that doesn't fix it, simply replace the antenna mast. They're on eBay for @ $12. To uninstall, first unscrew and remove the retaining nut, taking care to not scratch the paint. Next, turn on the radio, assisting the antenna to full extension. Before the motor stops, keep pulling on the antenna until it pops out, nylon cable, metal sleeve and all. With the new antenna, feed the metal sleeve all the way down into the hole. At the same time, feed the nylon cable down until it stops, with teeth facing the passenger side. Turn off the radio, gently pushing the nylon cable down for the motor teeth to grab it. Continue feeding the remainder of the antenna until fully retracted. Screw back on the retaining nut, taking care to not overtighten it (or else the antenna will not fully retract during the next down cycle). Cycle the antenna several times, adding a light coat of spray lubricant. Easy peasy.

Last edited by Poppyboy; 12-06-2014 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Typo
The following 4 users liked this post by Poppyboy:
Afirstclassguy (12-21-2017), forneycl (12-13-2014), Jim D (12-07-2014), Koen (01-18-2022)