XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

ATF fluid level and question about Drum A

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ATF fluid level and question about Drum A

Does anyone know, when checking the level of the ATF, should the engine be running? When I look at the service manual it says fill till it overflows the fill hole, then start and cycle thru the gears. Then is says lift and check the fluid level by pumping in more until it overflows again, since it doesn't mention shutting off the engine, I'm wondering if it should be still running? This would of course cause a totally different fluid level than if it was off.

Second: What does it sound like if Drum A starts going? Anything like the sound of a overrun clutch making noise?

Old 10-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default engine running 600-750 RPMs

Ive been looking for this answer for sometimes and found this.
My trans didnt make any noises it just had a hard time going into reverse and felt like th e brake was on while I was tring to go backwards. That continued to a slight pause from 3rd to fourth then one day I herd a BANG under neath and the RPMS flew up. I was able to limp it home feeling again like the E-brake was on, high rpms and only a little movement. Now it doesn't even have enough umph to get up on a set of ramps, i had to get a running start at it.
Heres the info I found for my 1998 XJ from this location. check the site to see pics of where the plugs and filler is. http://www.2carpros.com/forum/1998-j...-vt203861.html

ANY TECHS HERE PLEASE VALIDATE THAT THIS IS CORRECT INFO SO NOBODY DAMAGES THEIR CAR. Thanks

REMOVAL

Raise the vehicle for access.
Drain the transmission fluid. NOTE: This procedure will not remove residual fluid from the torque converter. WARNING: TRANSMISSION FLUID MAY CAUSE SEVERE BURNS, ENSURE THAT ALL SAFETY PROCEDURES ARE OBSERVED AND THAT THE RECEPTACLE FOR WASTE HAS SUFFICIENT CAPACITY.

Carefully remove the drain plug and drain the transmission fluid.

Refit the drain plug and tighten to the specified torque figure. Use a new 0-ring.
INSTALLATION

Remove the fluid level / filler plug.
Using a syringe dedicated to transmission fluid only (not used for any other type of oil or fluids), inject transmission fluid until it overflows from the plug orifice. CAUTION: It is essential that only the specified fluid is used. Wait until the flow of fluid has reduced to a trickle.

Fit, but do not tighten the plug.
Prepare PDU (at the base station).
Install the appropriate disk and switch ON.
Select the vehicle specification - ENTER.
From Engineering Tools select Toolbox - ENTER.
From Toolbox select Powertrain - ENTER.
Connect MPA and download cable to PDU and base station.
Select Data logger - ENTER.
Select Transmission - ENTER.
Disconnect download cable.
Connect MPA to PDU.
Connect PDU (at the vehicle).
Connect MPA cable to the vehicle diagnostic socket - ENTER.
Energize the vehicle ignition - ENTER.
From the menu select Transmission oil temperature (TOT) - ENTER.
Check that the fluid temperature is <30°C .
From above.

NOTE: Ensure that the TCM is connected and functioning correctly. Select Park and start the engine.

Cycle the gear selector.
From P to D.
From D to R.
From R to P.
From below.
Adjust the transmission fluid level.

Remove the filler / level plug.

Inject fluid until it overflows from the plug orifice. CAUTION: The fluid temperature MUST NOT exceed 50°C . Wait for the flow of fluid to reduce to a trickle (for at least 1 minute).

Refit the filler / level plug and tighten to the specified torque figure.
Check for leaks and remove spilt fluid.
Shut down and disconnect PDU.REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

I have also included a Technical Service Bulletin on this

V8 Sedan & XK8

DATE
9/97

307-02

MODEL

1997 MY-ON XK8 Range
1998 MY-ON V8 Sedan NA

VIN

001001-ON
812256-ON

Checking Fluid Level -
ZF 5HP 24 E -
Revised Procedure

Issue:

This bulletin provides a more detailed procedure for checking the transmission fluid level.

Action:

To check the transmission fluid level accurately, proceed as follows:

1. Position the vehicle on a level surface and let the vehicle stand for at least 2 minutes.

2. At the PDU base station make the following menu selections: DIAGNOSTICS, TOOLBOX, POWERTRAIN, DATALOGGER. Connect the PDU to the vehicle and ensure that the transmission is not in limp-home mode and that no DTCs are stored.

3. On the PDU, make the following menu selections: DATALOGGER, TRANSMISSION, TOT (transmission oil temperature). Check that the transmission temperature is below 30°C if ambient temperatures allow. Allow to cool if necessary.

NOTE: 30-40°C is the optimum temperature range for checking and filling transmission fluid. The range of 30-50°C is acceptable: Checking with a fluid temperature of 30°C represents the maximum fluid fill. Checking with a fluid temperature of 50°C represent the minimum fluid fill. Once the engine is running, the transmission fluid heats up rapidly.

4. Have the ATF filling: container prepared so you can add fluid immediately after opening the plug. Start the engine with the transmission in the Park position.

5. Verify that the idle speed in between 600-750 RPM.

6. Move the selector lever from the Park position to the Drive range and pause for 3 seconds.

7. Move the selector lever from the Drive range to the Reverse position and pause for 3 seconds.

8. Move the selector lever from the Reverse position to the Park positions.

9. Ensure that the fluid temperature has not risen excessively and immediately raise the vehicle and remove the fluid level/filler plug.

10. Fill with Esso ATF LT 71141 until the fluid begins to overflow from the fluid level/filler plug.

11. Wait at least one minute until the flow of fluid has reduced to a trickle.

12. Reinstall the plug and check the PDU to verify that the fluid temperature has not exceeded 50°C

Old 10-05-2009, 02:54 PM

I have seen these instructions as well, but they never really say specifically that the vehicle should still be running, it is implied, but I have learned that I should always be 100% positive before over/under-filling anything.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:36 AM

I was able to confirm with the independent shop I take my Volvo to (they are a BMW & Volvo indy) that the transmission should be filled while the car is running. The 740 and 540s from 97 to 01 used the 5HP24 as well. When we first filled the fluid the car was not running, but driving it around the block there was an odd noise that sounded like the overrun clutch chattering during the 1-2 shift. Got it back in the garage, cooled it off for hours, followed the shop's instructions to fill while running and sure enough everything works great. We flushed with Mobil 1 ATF, it used 14 quarts to drain, fill, run for a minute and drain/full again four times. The fluid that came out was fairly scary, the new fluid is nice and fresh. Shifts are silky smooth now unlike before.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The sound ours made was like a belt tensioner bearing squealing on start up, then whammo the infamous P1722

Old 05-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone tried the dipstick conversion for a ZF transmission

5HP24 Dip Stick

Old 05-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

I had been wondering about the dipstick add-on as well. Seems like a good investment to me.

But I do wonder about exactly what the tolerance is for over or under filling these transmissions. A drop? A tablespoon? A half cup? (or, for the metric, 1 cc? 10 cc? 100 cc?) All the rigamarole in the factory procedure would make one think it had to be practically to the nearest drop. And since the relative level of fluid in the pan also depends slightly on whether the car is going uphill or downhill, is it "dangerous" for transmission health to go up or down too steep a hill?

I do have a hard time believing it could really be that fussy.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer from Boston
I had been wondering about the dipstick add-on as well. Seems like a good investment to me.

But I do wonder about exactly what the tolerance is for over or under filling these transmissions. A drop? A tablespoon? A half cup? (or, for the metric, 1 cc? 10 cc? 100 cc?) All the rigamarole in the factory procedure would make one think it had to be practically to the nearest drop. And since the relative level of fluid in the pan also depends slightly on whether the car is going uphill or downhill, is it "dangerous" for transmission health to go up or down too steep a hill?

I do have a hard time believing it could really be that fussy.
I'm not sure about fussiness, but I'm interested in the dipstick. Do you know of anyone here running one of those units?