XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No GPS DVD Update After 2004 ~ Really ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No GPS DVD Update After 2004 ~ Really ?

This is hard to believe as I'm sure Alpine makes this system and is still in business; besides, don't the new Jags have GPS ? DVD's should work in any system, but am told the newer, updated DVD's won't work ? There's no real magic to a standard DVD format, so any comments would be appreciated.

I live in Central VA and A LOT of this is new. Like when I drive through Mechanicsville, the map is BLANK...

Old 10-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

It is staggering to believe that a high-end car like this did not automatically come with complimentary annual or semi-annual updates to the NAV disk. This situation argues again for the stupidity of paying extra to get the NAV option in a car when you would be much better (and less expensively) served by getting an aftermarket NAV like Garmin or TomTom.

Doug

Old 10-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I would venture to say that Alpine is not the one making the maps for the unit. I would send a note expressing your concern and find out who is the provider for the map CD’s. Then let the rest of us know.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

From what I remember, Alpine gave way to Denso units in the 2007s for the XKs, as Denso had already been installed in the s-types and XJs for a couple years prior (not sure exactly when it started). I have no idea why the fallout with Jaguar, but if Alpine wasn't doing hardware anymore, why get (and ultimately pay) their software partner NavTeq to keep providing maps and updates that obviously worked only on the Alpine? I suppose there isn't enough money out there to be had from only the XK8/r owners. It was a business decision that ultimately screwed most of us.

Everyone who has contacted both Alpine and NavTeq have been told to contact the other company. Great, huh?

Old 10-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

So you are saying that NavTeq has no updates available?

Old 10-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Veteran member

Personally I haven't contacted them, but I have listened to a few other members saying they have attempted w/o success.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Now that Jaguar is under new ownership and I must assume new management. People who need the updated GPS software ought to get together and call Jaguar about acquiring updates. This is a support function that should be in place. This says little for the integrity and support that Jaguar boasts so much about. Get on the phone and call!

Old 10-14-2009, 03:19 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
So you are saying that NavTeq has no updates available?
That's correct. I contacted them last year looking for an update and was told they do not offer anything for my 2000 XK8 Alpine system. They told me to contact my local dealer. My local dealer doesn't have a clue about any updates.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

I spoke to Nav tek the other day (1-888-NAV MAPS) and they could supply me with the older DVD that worked in other jags (think he noted the xj8) but he could not guarentee that it would work in the XKR system.

His suggestion was to find one of the newer disk (2004 sounds about the correct year) and try it beofer I spent the $200 on disks as I could not return them.

Costco sells a really nice Garmin for well under $200 so I think I will just opt for that. Really seems a shame but the only other alternative would be to get a new system and while I have not checked, I imagine that is pretty cost prohibitive. So I have areally nice installed NAV system that is pretty much useless.

I think we should start a thread on alternative uses for the NAV system and screen, there must be something else you can do with it! INstall a new dvd player and play movies? Sounds like a good thread suggestion to me!

Kip

Old 10-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by kiphome

I think we should start a thread on alternative uses for the NAV system and screen, there must be something else you can do with it! INstall a new dvd player and play movies? Sounds like a good thread suggestion to me!
That is exactly what I did with mine. It now acts as a screen only for an aftermaret Navigation unit by Garmin, and plays movies from a new head unit. You could put you're own DVD player in the car somewhere, but the access would be a beetch, and the audio connections would be complicated. A new deck removes so many obstacles.

You CAN simply add an aftermarket navigation system and use a remote. Keeps your car 'up to date' and won't reduce the value that much, if at all. Look at the Garmin GVN 53.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So... Are you saying you're using the CURRENT screen in the Jag dash with an alternate (Garmin) unit and plays movies ?

If so, how did you connect it... This I WANT !!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by h20boy
That is exactly what I did with mine. It now acts as a screen only for an aftermaret Navigation unit by Garmin, and plays movies from a new head unit. You could put you're own DVD player in the car somewhere, but the access would be a beetch, and the audio connections would be complicated. A new deck removes so many obstacles.

You CAN simply add an aftermarket navigation system and use a remote. Keeps your car 'up to date' and won't reduce the value that much, if at all. Look at the Garmin GVN 53.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:29 AM

h2oboy, Navteq is the company that supplys maps for your unit and that's the same company that will no longer update the Alpine system maps.

This could become a future problem for you as it is a current problem for those of us that have the Alpine systems in our Jags now.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I will reply back asking about the Alpine updates and see what they say. This obviously was a generic response. The TV add said any updates. I hope to take them on that.

Hello Gus,

Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ.

The last update for your 2008 Jaguar XK was released in December 2008. It is for the Denso factory installed system.

If you would like to order, please feel free to order online at www.navteq.com or call us at the number listed below. We will be more than happy to assist you.

If you need additional assistance, please send us your feedback by replying to this email or by speaking with one of our agents at the number provided below, Monday through Friday.

Kind regards,

NAVTEQ Customer Service

P.O. Box 1588

Orem, UT 84059

nabc_english@navteq.com

Hello [NAME]

Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ. At this time we only distribute Jaguar discs for the continental United States and Canada. Sorry for the inconvenience. If you would like more information on obtaining European maps please contact Jaguar at 800-452-4827.

If you need additional assistance, please send us your feedback by replying to this email or by speaking with one of our agents at the number provided below, Monday through Friday.

Kind regards,

NAVTEQ Customer Service

P.O. Box 1588

Orem, UT 84059

nabc_english@navteq.com

Old 10-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Robscountach
So... Are you saying you're using the CURRENT screen in the Jag dash with an alternate (Garmin) unit and plays movies ?

If so, how did you connect it... This I WANT !!!!!!!!!
And it can stream Satellite radio. I didn't need/want that.

Rob, i'll just forward you to my audio install pages...most of the info is there. I've tried to help a few people offline via email on getting something similar done in their car.

Just think of the screen as simply a display...you can put whatever you want into it.

Here are the links... ONE and TWO

Let me know if you need any advice.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by GreenJewel
h2oboy, Navteq is the company that supplys maps for your unit and that's the same company that will no longer update the Alpine system maps.

This could become a future problem for you as it is a current problem for those of us that have the Alpine systems in our Jags now.
If Navteq supplies maps to Garmin, and Garmin goes under, yah...that'd suck. I hope that Garmin, being one of the biggest personal navigation suppliers out there will be going for awhile.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you shut off your Alpine Nav system, you can indeed copy the 98/99 DVD version (which was originally installed in my 2000 XKR). All you need is a DVD + R disk, and use a bit-by-bit burning software program. Worked like a charm. I'm trying to locate a 2002/03 version, so assume that it could also be duplicated successfully. If you can't find a copy, shoot me an email with your address, and I'll send you a copy - can't stand to see anyone shut off a $2500 (ferchrisakes) system for lack of an orphan software disk. I doubt if Tata will care to interact with Navteq in making an Alpine disk available anytime in the future, so will use my 98/99 disk until I get lost once too often and take a leap off some cliff by accident (think Thelma and Louise).

Dan

Old 10-28-2009, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by h20boy
If Navteq supplies maps to Garmin, and Garmin goes under, yah...that'd suck. I hope that Garmin, being one of the biggest personal navigation suppliers out there will be going for awhile.
Alpine is an old audio company as Garmin is and both are rather large but Navteq did stop supporting Alpine which is still in business.

If Navteq is supporting Denso with updated nav disks, I'm sure it wouldn't be that much extra work to create an Alpine version updated disk at the same time. They have all of the information and the ability to create both system(s) formats.

These units cost an arm and a leg, around the $2000 area as an added option when you buy the car/truck.

The Alpine unit is okay if you're on main roads and when I'm not I still have my TomTom unit that I purchased before I purchased the Jag so I'm not completely up sh*ts creek when in Canada or the back roads of Washington or Oregon allowing my Cat to streach her legs.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:56 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

I am presently working on the update problem!

Old 10-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
I am presently working on the update problem!
If anyone can end up with a solution it would be Gus!

Doug

Old 10-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Veteran member

Go Gus, another crusade began!!!

Quick Reply: No GPS DVD Update After 2004 ~ Really ?