Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

[S-Type] Speaker upgrade using Alpine amp

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default [S-Type] Speaker upgrade using Alpine amp

I have a standard audio system. Initially, I just wanted to drop in 4 aftermarket 6x8 speakers in factory spaces. However, after one guy on UK forum told me he had cables from premium audio tucked away in doors and on parcel shelf, I decided to check this route and found out I have them as well. I have already bought an Alpine amp and optical lead. When connected, my screen shows additional DSP options so it seems to be running ok, without sound of course.
My plan at the moment is to get JL Audio C5-570 components for front doors and C5-570x for the rears. Plus a sub.
Now on to questions:
1. Round speakers are less prone to distortion. Is it then possible to fit 6.5" woofers in front factory spaces using an adapter plate? I don't want to spend to much for rears so will still use coaxial ovals.
2. I have done a research and I can't seem to find any worthy subs that would fit on rear shelf. I reckon I would need to get an amp with speaker inputs and connect a sub to it (most probably placed in the boot). As there are two woofers normally installed on rear shelf and two connectors, do I need to use both of them or just one will be fine to connect to the amp?
Also, another route. Standard amp sends 2x40W RMS to rear shelf. Is it possible to bridge the connectors to make it 1x80RMS and extend the lead to the boot and connect to a sub. I am not looking for huge bass.
3. Will the audio work at all without subs connected? I was also thinking of not connecting a sub if I'm satisfied with the sound.
4. All components come with a crossover, coaxials have one built in, or as it is a case with C5-570 there is a separate box. I understand there is a crossover built in the Alpine amp. Do I leave all the JL Audio crossovers and just connect the speakers to the leads in the doors?

Thank you in advance for all the help.

Last edited by Michal; 06-03-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

JL Audio 6W3's for the rear deck?

Old 06-01-2010, 01:10 PM

Would the standard amp provide enough power to drive it?

Old 06-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Michal
I have a standard audio system. Initially, I just wanted to drop in 4 aftermarket 6x8 speakers in factory spaces. However, after one guy on UK forum told me he had cables from premium audio tucked away in doors and on parcel shelf, I decided to check this route and found out I have them as well. I have already bought an Alpine amp and optical lead. When connected, my screen shows additional DSP options so it seems to be running ok, without sound of course.
My plan at the moment is to get JL Audio C5-570 components for front doors and C5-570x for the rears. Plus a sub.
Now on to questions:
1. Round speakers are less prone to distortion. Is it then possible to fit 6.5" woofers in front factory spaces using an adapter plate? I don't want to spend to much for rears so will still use coaxial ovals.
2. I have done a research and I can't seem to find any worthy subs that would fit on rear shelf. I reckon I would need to get an amp with speaker inputs and connect a sub to it (most probably placed in the boot). As there are two woofers normally installed on rear shelf and two connectors, do I need to use both of them or just one will be fine to connect to the amp?
Also, another route. Standard amp sends 2x40W RMS to rear shelf. Is it possible to bridge the connectors to make it 1x80RMS and extend the lead to the boot and connect to a sub. I am not looking for huge bass.
3. Will the audio work at all without subs connected? I was also thinking for not connecting a sub if I'm satisfied with the sound.
4. All components come with a crossover, coaxials have one built in, or as it is a case with C5-570 there is a separate box. I understand there is a crossover built in the Alpine amp. Do I leave all the JL Audio crossovers and just connect the speakers to the leads in the doors?

Thank you in advance for all the help.
I'll try to take a stab a this.

First, in the factory configuration, the Alpine system uses 6.5" round speakers, just mounted into a 6x8 adapter. No different than you are planning on doing. I mounted MB quart components (5.25's though) using an an adapter plate.

With the alpine amp, you have no choice but to use the internal crossovers, there are no full range outputs. Just leave the JL crossovers out.

Yes the amp will work fine w/out the stock subs. You could also use those outputs to a line level converter to feed a real amp if you wanted a sub in the trunk. No way to bridge the outputs of the alpine amp.

George

Old 06-03-2010, 12:33 PM

Someone told me that the Alpine system send most of bass to subs and if I only use speakers, I will get very little bass. Is that true?

Old 06-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Michal
Someone told me that the Alpine system send most of bass to subs and if I only use speakers, I will get very little bass. Is that true?
No clue... I've never had anyone ADD the alpine amp, I've helped a few people remove it though, but it requires a head unit And amp swap at least.

George

Old 06-12-2010, 07:45 PM

A little update. The system with Alpine amp and whatever number of speakers (at the moment fitted only front door ones) works just fine. Lost of bass. I must recommend C5 series from JL Audio. I was sitting in the car with my jaw on the floor... Nothing short of amazing...

Old 06-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Few questions here:

-So the JL ones were a big upgrade from the stock alpine ones?
-So our speakers are 6.5" round in the 03 and newer cars?
-instead of bridging the amp, how about run one lead to each coil of a dual voice coil subwoofer?
-is there anyway to hack into the stock alpine sub amp's wiring? Can we identify which leads are the rca's and then just hack them and put connectors on them?

Old 06-25-2010, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by qwiketz
Few questions here:

-So the JL ones were a big upgrade from the stock alpine ones?
-So our speakers are 6.5" round in the 03 and newer cars?
-instead of bridging the amp, how about run one lead to each coil of a dual voice coil subwoofer?
-is there anyway to hack into the stock alpine sub amp's wiring? Can we identify which leads are the rca's and then just hack them and put connectors on them?
- I didn't have Alpine, just stock and the difference is night and day. I have never heard Premium Audio in S-Type but if you believe in what others say, it's barely worth calling it Premium...
- No, speakers are 6x8. If you have Alpine system, you will have 5.25" woofer installed on an adaptor plate to fit the standard 6x8 space. Tweeter is installed on top of woofer in plastic holder. It's separate, not coaxial.
- Don't know myself. I will create a thread with my upgrade. I will include a pinout. Will just say for now that all that leaves the amp is high level signals to corresponding speakers. No RCA I'm afraid.