Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

2000 XJR stereo system

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 XJR stereo system

Good day to all the wonderful members of this amazing forum.

I'm in the process of changing out the entire entertainment system (Premium System with Alpine). I replaced all door speakers with Alpine S-Series 2-way speakers, the two front tweeters with Rockford Fosgate 1" tweeters. I disconnected the rear subwoofer since it was blown. I will remove it when I install my kicker woofer in the trunk with a kicker ZX400.1. I will be pumping the speakers with MTX Thunder 3404 amp.
I've gathered so much info from this forum already.
I've located the built in amplifier on top of the navigation dvd system. That should make the speaker connection a lot easier.
Question:
which ones of the wires are signals from the head unit? Did they use low or high input for the amplifier?
No worries, I'm replacing the head unit with Pioneer Avic-1.

Thank you very much!!!!

Old 07-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Jaggi,

I have a 2002 XJR and just replaced my entire stereo. If I remember correctly, all of the speaker outputs are ran from the factory head unit, via the AI-net cable, to a connector located in the rear footwell on the driver's side. There are two connectors that have all of the wires for your entertainment system. Looking at a wiring diagram for your car, you should be able to distinguish which is has the speaker leads and which speaker each lead goes to. I ended up removing my center console and running the speaker wires from my new head unit directly to the the lower connector in the rear driver's side footwell.

There is also a factory connector connector that connects directly to your factory headunit that should have four wires: two green wires with brown stripe for power, one black wire for ground; one white wire that is for remote turn on.

As I said, I replaced everyting and added an amp, subwoofer, and capacitor and it took me less than a couple hours to install everything.

I hope my instructions arent too difficult. Let me know if you have any questions as I'm sure I could come up with a photo illustrated guide if needed.

Brian

Old 07-12-2011, 02:26 PM

thank you very much for the instruction. This is going to be helpful. The two green/brown wires you mentioned, I'm assuming one if accessories and the other being battery power...correct?
The rear driver side footwell: is that the driver side passenger floor? Under there will be a plug...correct? Are the wires from this plug coming from the factory HU or from the factory amp in the trunk area?
I'll like to tap into the wires coming from the amp (of course by-passing the factory amp since I'm adding my own amp) to the speakers. I think that will make life a little easier.

Thank you so much again.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually both brown/green wires are 12v constant, so you should be able to splice into either of them. I forgot to mention that there's another wire on the same connector at the head unit. It's a little green wire with a black stripe that is your remote antenna wire.

By rear footwell, I meant heelboard. It's mounted just under the front end of the rear seat on the driver's side. Once you pop that off, you'll see the two connectors I was telling you about. One will have the power, ground, remote turn on, and antenna leads. The other will have all of the speaker wires. Be sure to look at a wiring diagram when you're splicing into your speaker wires though. There should be a total of 12 wires on the connector for the speaker leads; 8 wires for the door speakers and 4 wires for the two tweeters in the front post. You should easily be able to identify the four tweeter wires because they're a little smaller than the rest. The wires for the rear tweeters are spliced off the rear speaker leads inside the door

By splicing into the wires in the heelboard, you're bypassing the amp. You'll most likely have to bypass the factory amp if you're using an aftermarket head unit anyway unless you can find a way to splice into the factroy AI-net cable.

I ended up using the alpine power pack KTP-445 to amplify my door speakers. It's pretty much plug and play and doesnt take up much space at all. Matter of fact, mine's mounted directly behind my head unit.

You'll most likely need to remove the rear seat to run your rca wire from your head unit to your trunk. If you have a 6x9 speaker in your rear parcel shelf, you'll probably want to remove the shelf and take it out to allow more bass into the cabin.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Brian

Old 08-22-2011, 09:31 AM

I NEED HELP PLEASE! I took on the task of changing out my entire system as I had planeed to over the past weekend. I had a Pioneer Avic-N1 that I wanted to install. First, the crazy wiring confused me. I needed to look for parking brake wire, VSS (vehicle speed sensor wire). Anyway, I had to abandon the whole project and reinstall the factory unit back so i could have something to listen to for the week.
Here are my issues: I could remove the silver piece by the door footwell so i could run the low input cables thru under the carpet and into the trunk area for my amps. The said silver piece with "Jaguar" on it by the door footwell will not pry up as i was trying to pull it up (that's all I had to do with my previous cars).
Then I thought about going thru the center console...I could not figure out how to remove that. The whole project was a disaster and couldn't get anything done.
What I need help with:
1. how do I remove the center console if I decide to run the cables thru there?
2. how do I remove the door footwell (see image below) if I decide to go thru there?
3. which one of the wires behind the headunit is for the vehicle speed sensor (Orange/yellow wire)? this is for the gps connection.
4. also the parking brake wire that's needed for my connection

Thank you so much.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 XJR stereo system-jaguar_door_footwell.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggi; 09-02-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Default 2000 Jaguar XJR DVD/Navigation System installation

I didn't get to install the new stereo system since I got frustrated with not being able to remove the piece by the door so I could run the rca cables from the head unit to the trunk. Also had a failed water pump I just replaced last week.
I still need help tackling the stereo system. I now know how to remove the factory head unit easily.
Thanks to Brian2891 for his assistance in identifying some of the wiring.
I still need help please:
1. how do I remove the center console if I decide to run the cables thru there?
2. how do I remove the door footwell (see image below) if I decide to go thru there?
3. which one of the wires behind the headunit is for the vehicle speed sensor (Orange/yellow wire)? this is for the gps connection.
4. also the parking brake wire that's needed for my connection.

Please, if you have done this before, HELP ME!!!!

Thank you so much.

Last edited by Jaggi; 01-11-2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: missing subject line
Old 09-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Default XJR Aftermarket stereo installation

Hello all.
I finally got time to install an aftermarket stereo I had removed from a previous car a while ago...it's a Pioneer Avic-N1. I had a premium audio system with a factory amp and a cd changer in the trunk.

I need help indentifying one or two or three wires please:

1. which wire is the steering audio control lead? I bought a PAC SWI-PS steering wheel adapter. It stated a violet/yellow wire from the factory stereo harness. The problem is...I do not have any violet or purple wire at all in the stereo harness. Which wire should it be if there's no violet/yellow wire present?

2. Which of the wires is accessories turn on...white wire?

3. If by any chance anyone knows the wire for the vehicle speed sensor in the factory stereo harness, that shoud really help a great deal.

if you can ony answer one of the above questions, please feel free to do so.

thank you all in advance.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Default Aftermarket Steering Wheel Audio Control Adapter

The steering audio control adapter installation manual had Purple/Yellow wire for my 2000 Jaguar XJR. To my surprise my car didn't have purple/yellow wire at the factory radio harness. However, I was able to trace the purple/yellow wire from the control switch in the steering wheel and found the wire connected to a plug near the top of brake pedal. From this plug, the purple/yellow wire became brown/green wire leading to the factory radio harness.

The wire you need is the small brown/green wire on the yellow factory radio harness. I just thought I could save someone some time by not searching for a wire color that's not on the radio harness.

2000 Jaguar XJR
Premium Audio System (Old System)

New system:
Pioneer Avic N4
All new Kenwood speakers
MTX Thunder 4-Channel Amp
Alpine 1-Channel Amp