Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

6 by 8 speaker upgrades? What are you guys using?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 6 by 8 speaker upgrades? What are you guys using?

Hi there. I'm thinking of upgrading my speakers in my 2004 s type with the alpine premium system. What are you guys upgrading to? I can get 6 by 8 kenwood and pioneer speakers for next to nothing. I could spend a little more and upgrade to an oversize 6 3/4" kenwood component set (p705).

What have you guys upgraded to and how did the stuff turn out? Should I just go for the components so that I can mount the tweeters higher in the door?

Old 08-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I put new speakers in my car, not really as an upgrade but as a necessary adjustment. My old speakers were 13+ years old, and I replaced them with Alpine. Overall, the car already had a very nice speaker set up, so I opted for the straight swap of sizes, and didn't bother with anything extra.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by qwiketz
Hi there. I'm thinking of upgrading my speakers in my 2004 s type with the alpine premium system. What are you guys upgrading to? I can get 6 by 8 kenwood and pioneer speakers for next to nothing. I could spend a little more and upgrade to an oversize 6 3/4" kenwood component set (p705).

What have you guys upgraded to and how did the stuff turn out? Should I just go for the components so that I can mount the tweeters higher in the door?

Hope QWIKETZ response since its a late reply.... I used 6 1/2 speakers and i would recommend these sizes, I would go for component speakers which I went for which are MB quarts QSD216 with an JL audio amp. It will sound like a Home theater in there, also installed some equalizers and had a in dash also with 2 kicker L7 subs with a MTX audio Mono block amp.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:05 PM

thanks for the response. I'm also looking at swapping in some 6 1/2" components. I'll be sticking with the stock amp for now; my next stereo mod is to add the aux box for ipod hookup.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by qwiketz
thanks for the response. I'm also looking at swapping in some 6 1/2" components. I'll be sticking with the stock amp for now; my next stereo mod is to add the aux box for ipod hookup.
Do you know what kind of components your getting? just make sure you separate the tweeter from the woofer itself, you'll get better sound quality. Im planning to install my old system i old on the old jag to the new jag. 2 kicker solobarics L7 with MTX audio amp. Also a interface to play my ipod since my 6cd changer doeant play MP3's and also my componets which the tweeter is going to be installed on the A pillars. let us know any updates man, i like to hear from others about system and what not

Old 10-20-2010, 12:17 PM

I was planning on using a used set of kenwood p708's off a buddy of mine. They're shallow mounting depth, have a tuneable crossover and have the mounting plates for 6/8 openings. I'm thinking about it but it's on the back burner for now. I have the alpine navigation in my 2004 so it's a little more complex and expensive to add mp3's and ipod connection.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

The Alpine system in the STR uses 6.5's natively.

They come from the factory mounted in a 6x8 adapter.

Take a look at the pic.

George

Attached Thumbnails 6 by 8 speaker upgrades?  What are you guys using?-xaap091.jpg   6 by 8 speaker upgrades?  What are you guys using?-xaap091a.jpg  
Old 11-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have had real good results with both the Rockford Fosgate, Power Series 6x8 speakers and the image Dynamics CTX57. Throw in some dynamat and it really does come alive.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:18 PM

I am not a big fan of my system inside my STR. But do plan to dynomat extreme the doors and part of the floor for less noise reduction which it did help when I did to my old jag. Planning on buying 6.5 components in the front only and an amp. Thing is I would like to buy another pair of A-pillars where the tweeters will be mounted which I will do the fiberglassing which is easy. I suggest to get an amp since you mention your going to use your stock amp. It wont sound the same, ive tried it myself

Old 11-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Alpines That George has recommended offer a true bolt up no hassle alternative. There is a reason that the Kenwoods and Pioneers are so cheap. Most brands offer a premium speaker line but you will pay for top shelf goods unless you hawk the closeout superstores for new "old stock" on a daily basis.
Buyer beware, the lure of inexpensive Chinese manufacturing has pretty much destroyed all Asian (Japanese) credibility in the consumer electronics market and is slowly infiltrating some of the better known European brands.
As a rule, round speakers, bigger voice coils, vented pole pieces and rubber surrounds last longer and sound better. But then again what do I know, I'm still running old school Orion and Alpine amps in some of my rides and would be running my old head units but they won't play WMA files.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by old wrench
The Alpines That George has recommended offer a true bolt up no hassle alternative. There is a reason that the Kenwoods and Pioneers are so cheap. Most brands offer a premium speaker line but you will pay for top shelf goods unless you hawk the closeout superstores for new "old stock" on a daily basis.
Buyer beware, the lure of inexpensive Chinese manufacturing has pretty much destroyed all Asian (Japanese) credibility in the consumer electronics market and is slowly infiltrating some of the better known European brands.
As a rule, round speakers, bigger voice coils, vented pole pieces and rubber surrounds last longer and sound better. But then again what do I know, I'm still running old school Orion and Alpine amps in some of my rides and would be running my old head units but they won't play WMA files.
I did Old School 5/25" MB Quart Components in my front doors, with the musicomp crossovers. Running Old school soundstream amps, and an older JL 12w3v2 in a sealed box int the trunk. Sounds great for an everyday system. It's not going to win any competitions or set any SPL records any time soon, but it fits the bill for everyday listening.

George

Old 02-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Component Speakers 6.5"

Does anyone know if there is room for 6.5" component woofers in stock door location?

Old 02-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mikewv100
Does anyone know if there is room for 6.5" component woofers in stock door location?
Yes sir, that's what the Alpine stereo uses stock. You need a 6x8 to 6.5" adapter plate to mount it, but if you have the Alpine stereo they are already there.

Take care,

George

Old 09-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any body know if 08 XKR has a ipod hookup