Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

After market amp and speakers in ’07 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default can I upgrade only the amp and speakers in ’07 XKR?

I’m planning to do an after market audio upgrade on my ’07 XKR, professionally installed . I’ve searched the forum and internet pretty extensively but couldn’t find assurances of the following:
1. Is it possible to replace the amp without altering the head unit electronics? (anyone know where the amp is located?)
2. What are the dimensions of the midrange speakers in the door? The grill measures 5.25”, but I’ve read conflicting messages wrt 5.25” –vs- 6.5” speakers. (..and the speaker depth?)
3. Is it possible to replace the sub? How does someone get to it?

I’m keeping the head unit for sure, but intend to upgrade the amplifier (to Alpine PDX-5) and speakers (to JL or Polk separates front; 2-ways back seat - which is why I need the dimensions). If the audio installer permits, I’ll take and post photos for others on the same pursuit.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by bart_redline99; 11-29-2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: hoping that better clarity in the title will yield a reply
Old 12-10-2010, 07:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some speaker info
http://www.metraonline.com/fit.aspx

I have a pdx-5 they are great amps. As for the stock amp im not sure if anything else car related runs threw it.
Chris

Old 12-11-2010, 09:51 AM

Excellent - thank you, Chris. That completes the picture. As for the sub and amp - they are mounted together into a single enclosure. The amp is bolted into a cutout in that enclosure, on the front, left side. The entire enclosure itself is located in the driver-side footwell, behind a false panel where your left foot rests.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about the amp. But if you want to keep your stock head unit you have to get an IEC adapter I believe it's called if I remember right. Only about 7-10 bucks at Best Buy

Old 03-12-2011, 10:38 PM

..correction and update.

Correction: the amp/sub enclosure is on the passenger side footwell, not the driver's side (the training manual from the dealer was based on a righthand drive Jag).

I have the speaker/amp/DSP components ready (the DSP is so I can leave the head unit as is and flatten all the outputs before running through the amp). I'm probably looking at July/August for the professional install and will include before/during/after photos for those interested in pursuing the same path. I'll also include a low-/medium-/high-budget summary to solving the audio, based on what I've learned along the way. Can't wait!!

Old 04-09-2011, 03:50 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default I will try this too..

Bart,

How is your project progressing?

I'm embarking on the same journey.

I could find no information on the internet about the factory system or sizes of stock drivers. Heck, even Crutchfield has no suggestions. Finally, like you I accessed the factory documentation that addresses how to take the car apart and shows the location of the equipment including the factory amp and sub and has all the electrical schematics.

At the moment the back seat and passenger door panel is out of my 07 XKR and I've removed the aluminum panel that protects the amp/sub in the passenger floorboard. As you can tell, the factory sub is kind of pathetic and how it makes any sound buried under the aluminum plate and carpet is beyond me.

I've decided not to replace the factory rear speakers and will fade them out so I only have a front stage in my system. For those curious, the rear are the same 6"+ driver found in the door. While the mounting depth in the rear is marginal, the opening and depth in the doors is excellent and will accommodate all but the deepest midbass drivers. The cutout is 5.5 inches and the depth is 3"+.

I was going to mount Dynaudio 2 ways but was concerned about the size of the Dyna tweeter, so I'm mounting Hertz Hi-Energy HSK 165 2 way system with the tweeter in the factory location.
As there are no preouts on the factory headunit you have to either use an amp that accepts hi-level outputs from the factory amp (speaker level) or get an interface to convert the signals to low-level. An additional problem is that the amp splits the full range signal in two to provide the sub output. Many of the interfaces will 'sum' this signal to provide you with a full range signal. This is particularly important as the sub out of the factory amp is unlikely going to be at the same crossover point you want for your subwoofer.

I'm also going the interface route so I can gain an auxiliary for my iPhone without paying for the Jaguar ACM. Also, the interface I'm using will tune out any factory equalization and then time align and cross the drivers over actively. Yes.. this is the expensive route. My local dealer dissuaded me from using either the JL Audio Cleansweep or the Alpine PXE-H660, both he sells.

I'm still up in the air on mounting a sub. I'm relatively sure it will be a JL 10w6 but I don't know if I will do a stealth mount or just use a box. The amp will be a JL Audio HD 900/5 channel unit.

I will post some pictures of the stuff I pulled apart.and some more percise measuremnts in the next day or two. If you have questions let me know.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:54 PM

GN4HIR,

Excellent! Great to see your note – I was beginning to wonder whether I’m the only one in pursuit of improving the audio fidelity in the XK/XKR. I’ve made most of my decisions, including the agreement w/ my wife to have the installation be my birthday present in July. I’ve already selected and purchased the speakers, sub, and amp. For others reading this, there’s a Pareto of changes you can implement - from very reasonable cost to higher cost. The discussion we’re having below is the higher cost route, and will yield an exceptional-sounding audio system, but we’ll detail alternatives at a later point -- the changes you can make, in succession of increasing cost, to improve the audio in the XK/XKR (or anything like it).

Kudos to you! You’ve definitely gone further, given that you’re into the door panels and sub enclosure. I’m afraid to touch anything. Otherwise, I think we’re on similar tracks. As you indicated, information is very scarce. The only reference I could find indicated that the door speakers have only a 2” mounting depth. Your confirmation of 3+” is huge. For anyone else considering this, it opens things up to include most 5.25” separates for the front speakers, and there some great ones at great prices. Unfortunately (in the context of price not quality) the only quality slim-mount speakers I could find were the Focal VRS Polyglass, so I bought them and I’m going to stay with them.

Here’s what I’m doing and why:
• Head unit / Interior: No Change. I don’t want to alter the head unit or the interior look of the car in any way.
• Front Speakers: Door dampening – the Jag is very quiet, but there’s a lot of flex and resonance in the interior door panels and exterior skin when the speakers are pushed. I’m going to have the door panels sound dampened. Speakers - separates (Focal VRS 130) mounted in the factory door panel and tweeter location. No change in the center/dash speaker; not sure whether it will be used or not.
• Rear Speakers: No Change. As you’ve stated, the front speakers form the soundstage. Rear are filler
• Audio Interface / iPod integration / DSP: I’m going with the Audison Bit One DSP (Audison seems to be a division of Hertz audio – a great outfit and great choice for speakers). This is definitely the most expensive component in the system but my rationale for a good interface/DSP is similar to yours – it’s what allows me to: 1) use the head unit unaltered; 2) flatten factory output after the head unit and before the amp; then to tune/refine the sound; 3) and will integrate the iPod
• Amp: A small, powerful 5-channel amp. ..great choice on the JL amp, btw. I’ll be using the Alpine PDX-5.
• Sub: I was on the fence until I read your post; now I may be leaning to the enclosure, given how you described the sub mount. I bought an 8” sub (Focal 21 V2). The installer quoted a well-integrated custom enclosure to sit in the ‘shoulder’ in the trunk, above the left rear wheel.
Great post. Be careful. Have fun. Keep me/us posted. Good Luck!

Old 04-10-2011, 05:56 PM

We are on the same track.. the Focal are a good choice, excellent speaker.

I too got the BitOne, I'm going to put it in myself and try to program it.. if I get too confused I will pay the local shop to plug into it and check my programming. I've loaded the software on my office computer and played with the parameter setting a little, it is very cool as you can select cross over points, 12db/24db, crossover shape etc. I'm going to cut into the factory harness after the amp and take the L/R Front and Sub signal back to the BitOne.

The 8" sub in the corner of the vehicle is a nice plan, you can still get to the spare and you don't lose much room. A suggestion, put it on the right (passenger) side. I didn't know this at first but there is a place to connect the + cable for jump starting the car and you access it through the plastic vent on the rear driver side. The installer I spoke with really wants me to pitch my spare tire and let him have the spare tire well for a JL 10w6. I know if I do it I will blow a tire! I will start with a Box.

While dampning can help and sure can't hurt the door.. I will say it is pretty solid. Behind the leather/fiberglass? door panel is an aluminum moulded inner liner on the door that does not seem to resonate much. No doubt that if I had some Dynamat around I'd add some.

The Alpine 5 channel is also a good choice, that was my initial choice and then I decided to go with a bit more power. Plus, once the BitOne decision was made I decided any chance of saving money was lost.

I will get some pictures up of the torn apart car up as soon as possible.

The following users liked this post:
bart_redline99 (04-11-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Default Link to album with pictures.

Ok, I've not tried a link to a public album on PhotoBucket..

Pics of the 007 XKR Stereo

Jaguar XKR Audio pictures by jiwilliams - Photobucket

bart_redline99 (07-30-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 08:45 PM

WOW! OK, we're definitely on the same page - except that you have more skill and courage than me. You're doing great work -- be careful.

Seriously, the photos and comments already provide great insight. When I started this, I was just hoping to find some specs; this is way more than I hoped for and EXACTLY what I and others need. ..good man.

The doors look solid; I may be drinking the Kool-aid a bit on the sound dampening; and it's not cheap ...I'm going to give that more thought. Seeing the sub covered by a metal plate increases the likelihood that I'll go with an enclosure and not bury a nice sub under the floorboard. Thanks for the tip on the left/right side. From what I've read about the BitOne, it's a great piece of equipment, as you're probably finding out. re: cutting into the factory harness after the amp.. You may already be doing this, but I'm pretty sure the shop that will be doing my install (and who sell Hertz/Audison) are planning to put the BitOne between the head unit and the amp, run all inputs into the BitOne to flatten/tune them, then to the amplifier, then to all the speakers, but with the front being the primary soundstage.

stay the course - be careful - have fun - keep posting - and thanks!

Old 05-21-2011, 02:01 AM

Pretty much all finished with my project and I have a couple of points for others out there.

I left the factory rear speakers alone. Good move! Now, even if I'm using my iPhone adapter to run Pandora directly into my BitOne and then to the aftermarket amp, when the phone rings, the bluetooth of the factory headunit routes the audio through the factory amp and to the rear factory speakers. If I had not left the rear alone, I would have lost that functionality.

Behind the rear driver side vented trunk panel (access to tail light) is a factory auxillary power and ground wire with two positive connections, one that is always on and one that is tied to the ignition. I was able to use the one tied to the ignition to signal my BitOne processor to turn on.

I have found the Hertz speakers to be very balanced in their sound. They are not overly bright and even when driven pretty hard do not sound like they are under stress.

bart_redline99 (05-30-2011)
Old 05-30-2011, 03:54 PM

GN4HIR,

Well done - kudos for a great, high end install. And thanks for sharing it to the benefit of others. Your reward (in addition to the admiration of peers) is the satisfaction you feel every time an audio system like that comes to life.

Enjoy!

Old 01-14-2012, 11:03 PM

To show where things ended up -- I did a YouTube video that explains/shows what was done and how. The sound system sounds great, especially at live-level volume.

Thanks again to GN4HIR and others for great inputs.

2007 XKR Audio Upgrade OEM Integration

Tiepolo (09-01-2023)
Old 04-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

One option might be to source the parts needed to turn your system into the Bowers & Wilkins version. I spoke to a B&W rep at a Jag event recently and he confirmed its the same head unit, just different power amp and speakers.
I'm probably not as much of an audiophile as you, but I'm pretty choosy and I love its sound, and the few people I've given a ride to in my 08 XKR have all said that its audio system sounds amazing.

Last edited by JustNiz; 04-23-2012 at 05:10 PM.
bart_redline99 (05-12-2012)