Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Bluetooth issues: S-Type and Aftermarket Kenwood Headunit

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth issues: S-Type and Aftermarket Kenwood Headunit

Hi chaps,For the past year or so, I've had a Kenwood DDX8024BT headunit in my S-type:

All the time that I've had it, it's worked perfectly fine as a bluetooth handsfree unit for my iPhone, but for some reason it's never worked properly when I try and stream music to it via bluetooth. The head unit connects fine, and recognises my iPhone. You can start, pause and stop music using the touch screen interface. The problem is intermittent audio dropouts.

They don't seem to follow a set pattern - sometimes you get a whole load of them, one after another, other times you can listen to several songs before they crop up. After several fruitless firmware upgrades to the headunit, and iOS updates to the phone, the head unit has been back to Kenwood to have the bluetooth module inside it replaced. This hasn't helped. I have tried several different phones (Different iPhones, Android based phones & even an iPad) and they all show the same problem when streaming music. As Kenwood state that it streamed fine when it was on the bench at the repair shop, they now believe that there may be a source of interferance in the car itself.

This could be the case, but I don't know where to start looking. The problem manifests istelf regardless of wether the engine is running or not, so if it is interference it's something that's active when the ignition is just set to the accessory position.

Just to help with any possible diagnosis, the car used to have a factory fitted BT handsfree, but both the BT and Motorola Phone Module from the boot have been removed. The head unit is hooked in using a decent quality Jag to ISO adaptor loom, and the steering wheel controls are being handled by an autoleads PC99-X47 interface with the relevent kenwood loom.

Can anyone suggest where I start looking? I'm almost at the point of replacing the damn thing, but TBH, I can't be sure that any other head unit wouldn't exhibit the same behaviour.

Thanks in advance,

Jason.

Last edited by greatoldone; 10-07-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Better ask this question in a kenwood specific forum as probably nobody else has experience with this HU onthis forum.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really asking about potential sources of interference in the Jag, not why the Head Unit is dropping out, as there's nothing else that can be done with it (bar replacing it)

Thanks

Jason

Old 10-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

See if the dropouts occur while your source device is charging. I'm running into an issue with an Android phone that seems to intermittently disconnect and reconnect, in cycles, only when on battery. This points to a power-saving function on the phone. Check for a similar issue, only when not charging, oj yours.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

"on yours."