Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Clean Audio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clean Audio Upgrade

Curious what brand audio you would consider to install into a XJR100 or 2003 XJR.

I want to avoid things like screens, and funky visuals from alot of the makes out there.

I used to have a very clean, and high powered Nakamichi setup (head unit, amp, cd player) years ago in another vehicle ...and I always got compliments on how discreet strong, and understated it was.

The unit itself easily out performed the typical units at local audio competitions - I also had high quality speakers installed - all done myself - and all cost a pretty penny.

I doubt I will install any DVD or display screen technology.

I will be checking out the existing threads for the actual install, and for available space & recommended configurations - so far I've gathered there isn't quite enough room for a double din setup.

Any suggestions would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

After some quick searching elsewhere, it does sound like it's slightly smaller than a double din. That's disappointing, and I really hate the car manufactures for using non-standard sizes, I've run into it with pontiac who liked using 1.5 din.

I've used Clarion headunits in the passed, been fairly happy with them. I got great sound quality from them when paired with Alpine speakers which I tend to use in any car. The clarion units I used had dvd players and touchscreens, but they were single din and the screens would fold and slide back into the dash so they weren't visible. The benefit of having a screen is you can get GPS. With the folding screens like I had, you wouldn't have the appearance of any screen if you don't want it, but it's there when you do.

You'd have to double check the dimensions, but if you could fit this Pioneer double-din and did not want to have a fancy touchscreen, I think this would look very nice. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ers/FH-P8000BT

The following users liked this post:
Chesterama (03-07-2011)
Old 03-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am leaning towards a very clean, and 'retro' setup of a McIntosh head unit, and amp...here's an idea:

Here's a more blown up view of a clean, and slick install.. (same components) ... in another vehicle ofcourse...

These components would look absolutely gorgeous in a XJR100