Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Easiest way to add an ipod and more bass to an 04 S type R

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Easiest way to add an ipod and more bass to an 04 S type R

Hi guys. I'm curious what you guys are doing to add an ipod to the stock Alpine system. Also, I'm interested in adding a bit more bass. I'm thinking maybe a bigger amp and a bigger sub in place of the stock gear. What have you guys been doing and how have you been doing it? I previously had an 02 and it was a nightmare to add an ipod and I eventually gave up(I tried adding the PAC aux box but it didn't want to work).

Old 05-19-2010, 12:47 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

For an iPod, the 02 was easy compared to the 04... the 02 used copper wire for audio signals, and it was easy to insert audio from an AUX input at the CD changer's audio connection, just inside the changer...

The 04 uses fiber optic, combining both audio and command signals in a pair of fibers. Unless one can get to the original audio signals somewhere inside the changer, and I haven't seen it done yet, it's not going to be an easy task.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:20 PM

man, that's a bummer. What about using a radio out of a newer S type? Is that an option? If it is, maybe I can find one on ebay or something.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I can't help you with the bass situation, but I'm pretty sure that the Jaguar Audio Connectivity Module (ACM) works with all of the D2B (optical) head units, including the one in my X-Type and the one in your S-Type. You can see what I wrote about it here:

http://www.jimrothe.com/jaguar/acm-bluetooth.html

And you can check out the *brief* little blurb that Jaguar has in the accessories catalog, reproduced online here:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...subcat2=120889

BTW, that price in the online accessories catalog is wrong, as it's for the old (discontinued) version of the ACM. The newer, currently-available part is more expensive.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the ACM in my 05 S-Type R and I have to say it's pretty good. Prior to the ACM I had been using an FM injector directly linked into the antenna input. That was about a third the price of the ACM, but the install was more complicated and the sound quality was quite poor - though better than an over-the-air FM modulator.

If you're serious about getting the best iPod (or other AUX / USB device) audio out of your stock stereo then the ACM is probably the way to go.

It's definitely a DIY project for anyone who's handy with a screwdriver and isn't afraid to get into the dash, so you can save installer fees.

As for bass, I'm not looking to shake my windows loose so this may not answer your question, but I suspect the stock amp is capable of driving a better sub than the one that the car ships with. It might make sense to try a straight sub-swap before getting into amp upgrades.

Hopefully someone who's done this can chime in with results.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:46 AM

Thanks. That looks like my best solution. As for the bass I'll probably use a nice line level converter with a remote bass knob.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:34 PM

so I found out that I currently have the rf modulated xm installed. I'd still prefer an ipod over xm. I'm still trying to figure things out....

I'm going to replace my stock alpine subs with something a tad bigger. I have a 12" in my garage in a ported enclosure that I drove with the stock amp in my old one with decent results.