Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Getting More Bass from the Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting More Bass from the Trunk

I've had my system in my car for about 1.5 years now. All Alpine. I have two 12" type R in the trunk and I feel I dont get to hear it all. As you may or may not know, theres no easy access from the back seat into the trunk. Probably no acces at all, I had to run the amp cable through the vents. I know the tank is right behind that frame, immediately behind the back seat, and the tank is held in place by it. Do any of you recommend cutting some slits to let more bass into the car? I was thinking like 4" wide and maybe 20" long, and only 5 slits or so, avoinding where the tank is held. Will this weaken it enough to where a problem might come up in the future ? Like my tank falling off.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Getting More Bass from the Trunk

I wouldn't cut anything! My buddy has had 2 different sets of mtx 12's in his car as well as rockford fosgate and now a set of polk 12's...his bonneville is sealed but does have where the middle console in the rear folds down but to me their is almost no difference between the air moving in just the trunk or through the hole being opened...just my thoughts though...does everything vibrate inside the car like the rear view mirror??? If not you may want to look into something else other than the alpines...what about a bigger amp you try that yet??? Whether the air is moving in your car or not though it shouldnt' matter about air moving the bass should still be enough to fell on your chest or your throat...what kind of head unit do you have and are the rcas hooked into a set of rca's that have low pass filter or not???

Old 08-13-2007, 04:32 AM

The amp is an Alpine MRD-1005 1000w Mono amp. The amp I believe is fine, so are the subs. I ask because I placed the same amp and box in my friends car (Dodge Intrepid) just to try it out. They sound like 40% louder on his. I just thought it was because the only thing between the subs and the inside of his car is some padding from the seats. In my case, the trunk is completly sealed off with steel. It bumps, dont get me wrong, yes the rear view mirror vibrates, its just I feel I'm losing that power. In fact, when I first ran the amp cables to the trunk, the vents that I ran them through had flaps that I removed. That improved the bass. There's also two , I'd say about 5" in diameter, seals right behing the seats, that I removed with a hammer and flat-head screwdriver, that also made a noticeably increase of bass. If I open the trunk to listen to music while I'm camping or doing whatever, I actually need to turn the subs almost all the way down , because its just too much bass.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

hmmmm....than I guess the only other thing I can conclude is that car was probably made so the sound from outside of the car has some good sound deadener...otherwise I'm not too sure because as I said my buddy had lesser subs and my ears popped all of the time whether they were hooked to a 150 watt rms rockford or his last ones he had in his old bonneville the thunder 5500 series which are nice subs...is the car pretty quiet as far as exterior noises?

Old 08-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Same problem here estunum. I too had a sub, allbeit a single 10" infinity, and with the trunk open, it sounded great, in fact, a little too loud. But once the trunk was shut, you could barely even feel it. I think you are doing great with feeling as much as you do right now. It sounds like you have opened up as much air flow as you can between the interior and the trunk. My installer told me Jag did it THAT good, especially for the verts. He also told me that if I wanted really good bass, then I should be ready to give up the back seatsd, because that is the only way I can get it is with a custom enclosure in place of the rear jump seats.

I wish I had your problem though...some is better than none.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:56 AM

The car is very quiet I would say to exterior noices. I think I'll leave alone for a while, or maybe contact the guy (Mel) that I always take the car to. I've removed the flaps to those vents, which I assume is for some type of decompression, removed the seals in the frame, and did not place back any of the sound insulation pads back there. Those things alone have dramatically improved it, but there always that itch in the back of my head that more can be achieved. If Mel can't help me, then I'm gonna have to settle for what I have.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

h20 you might as well give up the back seat on ur xk cuz it ain't like anybody is going back there anyway.

Our xk8 has the stock system, not even alpine, but i think it's ok. With the top down people several car lengths away can still here my music, but that's more sound escaping then it being loud.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah estunum I wish I had your problem of having good noise blocking! My x doesn't block outside noises quite that great...I have a boss 8" bass box that has amp and sub built into this box no bigger than a regular amp..

Old 05-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jaguar did such a great job at making the xk and xj models as road comforting that the interior is sealed off too well to let outside noises in as you are experiencing. Then they added a fuel tank in the middle of the picture just to make it even more difficult to get good sound from stereo addons. im having the same trouble, but trying to figure out what to buy to sound best.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member

Add a couple of these under your seats! LOL! I'm going to put them up inside of my couches when I can get a chance!

But really why not try one or two of these? One under each seat if you can do it???

SSL9.8" X 2.8" X 13.7"

Kenwood14-1/2" width x 3-11/16" height x 8-13/16 depth

Old 05-27-2008, 02:36 PM

I am thinking about mounting one or two of these under the S-type parcel shelf where the metal is cut out for speakers. Push some hertz into thecabin.

I haven't looked under the rear seat or to see the availability under the front seats.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...p;i=023THB200A

There is this one for the trunk as well, facing the cutouts, but I like the slim version for trunk space:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...p;i=023THB210A

Old 05-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

I imagine the ported one is louder. I'd give that one a shot! I'm sure if you didn't like crutchfield would always allow you to return it.