Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Going to install a 2nd amp...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Going to install a 2nd amp...

I already ran low level inputs off the subwoofer harness to my mtx 4250D to power my sub. I recently installed some Polk MOMO 6.5 components in all 4 doors. This weekend I would like to install my JL Audio 4/300 to power the momo's. Where is the best place to find the speaker wires. I have tought about the harness for the sub in the trunk but not sure if that is a clean entry point. I can run some speaker wire to behind the dash and catch them coming out of the radio as well. I have torn the car apart looking for the stockamp, I really don't think there is one. The stock system wasn't that loud to begin with. I could easily have a conversation over the radio on 35 -many people have said the amp is in the sub, but I have unplugged the harness to the sub andonly the sub has stopped working. Maybe there is just an amp for the subs?Either way, how have you guys spliced into the X-Type sound system?

Old 09-13-2008, 01:33 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts
Default RE: Going to install a 2nd amp...

Not sure where your x's speaker wires are Christo, sorry. If you want to be sure in one place, pull the console and get to them there.

Be sure you do a good writeup on your install, and let me know how you like the new system...since I practically force-fed you the MOMO's. I hope you like them as much as I do.

Does your x-type have treble, mid and bass controls, or just the first and last?

Old 09-13-2008, 08:32 AM

Hey Matt,

Don't feel bad about thePolks, been a big fan. They sound so good but I need more power to really make them shine. I ran some Pold db's back in the day and have one of those home theaters in a box that sounds so awesome. They make a good product.

Either way I am going to try from behind the console but if there "IS" and amp in place I would like to bypass it - who knows if there are any crossovers throughout the car. I do not have the mid controls, but I can take car of it on the amp.

The polks are currently wired to use 1 channel from the amp and the polk crossowver does the rest. I'm going to set the amp to run rull range at 80-100hz and see what they sound like. Maybe I will take a sound clip with my cell phone - lol!

Old 09-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Veteran member

On both my jag and the old jeep, I had the momos crossed at 80-90 without any problems at high volumes...you should be good.

Did you already ask in the x-type section if your year/model/version had an amplifier and where? Surely somebody around these forums has your car and have dissected it.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:22 PM

Ok, whew it is in, had a lot of work to do but it was worth it and the car is back in 1 piece. I crossed the momo's at 130hz, I will bring it down as I continue to tweak. I have a kicker solobaric woofer doesn't take any **** and can rattle my house when the car is in the garage. So that will cover my lows in this little car... The rears are still the stock aplines, so I have them turned down - funny thing it the JL audio on the lowest setting can kill those speakers. so for now they are disconnected from the amp. I need to get another set of momo's - they can take a beating!

How many watts and what kind of amp did you use to push the momo's in your jeep? Did you run 1 or 2 channels to each speaker? Did you leave your xover in full range or set it to high pass? Just curious...

The x-type section feels that I have an amp somewhere in the car since I have the components in every door. I beg to differ but they know best. I took my converter and put it right behind the radio in the dash. Ran all my wires from the amp to behind the dash and tapped my speakers from there. Ran a set of rca's back to the trunk. Luckily my mtx bass amp has rca outputs, so I split them there and ran 2 sets of rca's to my jl audio - everything seem to be working in harmony so far...

These JL amps really kick but, and I have heard some of their subs, they require a lot of power man, but they slam... In another life JL all the way...

Either way, I am happy with the momo's, sound is crisp and clean especially at high volumes, and now I can rattle my heada little when the volume is all the way up. I can wait to play some Metallica - Seek and Destroy... But I listen to a full range of music especially with Sirius Sat Radio. I listen to death metal all the way to techno... I'm nuts like that...

What kind of music do you listen to? Sorry if I am babbling, too many heineken lights while working - all is well though!

Old 09-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Veteran member

Sounds like it is going well christo, good to hear. A little refreshment during an install makes the whole project easier to deal with and much more fun! you asked about what amps I used in my jeep, it was an Alpine v-power, 90x4 running all four speakers. the jag has a rockford fosgate 100x4, and the gains on it are only at about 1/2. Both vehicles set at high-pass, right about the same frequency - 80-100hz, as each has its own sub to power the lows. Go find yourself another set of MOMOs and your project sounds like it will be finished...all except the tuning and tweaking. For me, that can take weeks of llistening to different types of music. Ever crank it up one night, try to adjust it, then get in the next morning and it soudns totally different and needs adjusted? listening loud destroys the tuning ability for me!

Old 09-14-2008, 08:17 PM

Yeah man, I thought I had it tweaked last night and then this morning it totally sounds different. I guess it is not easy as songs are recorded with different quality. I mostly listen to satellite radio so I will tune it to that however it doesnt seem to be broadcasted in such great quality as terrestrial radio. I definitely have the volume level I desire...

Old 09-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Veteran member

Satellite radio is icky quality once you get spoiled with MP3 quality equal to CDs. I tried both Sirius and XM at one time in the jeep. I currently have HD radio in my new deck, and that even has a compression sound that is annoying to me, and I truly hope that quality will improve over time for satellite and HD radio. One thing I truly enjoy with all of my efforts is the ability to use my 160GB portable hard drive in the car. It fits neatly in my armrest and has a TON of more room for high quality music, video and photos.