Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

??HELP?? Trying to Buy DOUBLE DIN CD/DVD/NAV stereo!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ??HELP?? Trying to Buy DOUBLE DIN CD/DVD/NAV stereo!

Hmmmm it looks a little bit different, but in general, it looks pretty similar. The dash I have is black though, not silver.

LOL And the chapstick in my ash tray is black. [8D]

Old 06-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had 3 in there...cherry chapstic...black spf chapstic and the best of them all blistex!

Surprised your dash is black...

Old 06-20-2008, 06:29 PM
mep
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: aquill1

I had 3 in there...cherry chapstic...black spf chapstic and the best of them all blistex!

Surprised your dash is black...
Try the Burts's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm - That stuff is awsome![sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 06-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

LOL!

Old 06-20-2008, 08:33 PM

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's black- I could be wrong though. LOL except for when I go on road trips I'm never actuallyin the car so I could just have been color blind!

Old 06-24-2008, 11:34 AM

Yep it's black. I'm going to try to call the soundshop to see prices on custom install today. If it's not too expensive, I may try and get it done for the 4th of July weekend in VA.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:42 PM

Let me (or us) know if you find a shop that will do a custom kit because I need one bad! Thanks in advance!

ORIGINAL: 03 S Type

Yep it's black. I'm going to try to call the soundshop to see prices on custom install today. If it's not too expensive, I may try and get it done for the 4th of July weekend in VA.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:03 PM

Thats what I'm trying to focus on finding now. I'm not even focused on getting the unit right now since it's no use in having a unit that I can't install! If I can't find one I may just go ahead and get my STR wheels and call it a day till someone else finds one LOL.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:23 AM

I just got in touch with a shop in the ATL area that said they'd do it for just under $200 (price includes harness etc.). They offered $1100 installed for a DNX5120, but they didn't have the DNX7120 so I'll be ordering it for about $850-$900 offline. It'll come out at about the same price either way hopefully. Just as long as I'm not there and they jack up the price mid instal!!!

Old 06-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

What dash kit are they using 03? I asked several shops and they all said they'd have to make a dash kit and just the kit would cost 500! I don't know how a shop is going to do the install and supply antenna adapter, dash kit and wiring harness for 200 bucks. I'd be weary about that. Also are they just going to cut wires and hard wire it? Shops charge ya 30 bucks for any cheap harness let alone a jaguar harness, dash kit, antenna adapter and labor of a head unit. Best buy/CC charge over a 100 bucks just to install a unit that has a tv whether it be double din or flip out for american made cars. BTW they raise their prices when you buy elsewhere so my guess is they are making their money on install by raping ya on the head unit. That or just cutting your wires off and hard wiring it. Just be careful because as you said they love raising prices mid install and they do get away with it.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:02 AM

Well I'm still waiting to get back in touch with them about it because I'm not 100% sure if I'm having them do it just yet. I'm pretty sure it's not a shitty shop (my cousin's gone through them a few times). If I don't go through them, Chris "Thermo" from the forums may be doign the custom install for me once I go back to VA and doesn't plan to give me too bad of a price for everything.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

They may not be crappy but I'm saying that's too cheap and not possible for them to install the stuff into a jag. Customer of mine went to have a flipout installed into his newer impala and they wanted 110 without hooking up the video playing ability of the unit. Your talking about having navigation installed into a jag that only has a dash kit that just came out here in the states and no harness on this side of the pond. There's no way a shop is going to install a double din navi into the car for that little of money (I'm not saying your lieing but they can't be telling you the truth. If they are going to make a custom dash kit and harness it costs more than $200 just for their time.

You can install it yourself!

Old 06-26-2008, 10:23 AM

You may be right, because they weren't exactly too specific when I spoke with them about it. They just said that they did a 2000 S Type for about the same price. I tried explaining that they were different, but they weren't really listening. At any rate I think I may be heading back home (to my apt in VA) to have it done. As far as a dash kit and wiring harness, where could I get them? Someone said something about the harness being similar to Ford if you have an 02 or higher.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:42 AM

I'm not sure if this will work, but I found a website that looks as is if offers some sort of kit thats supposed to work on newer Jaguars. If anyone is more knowledgable I'm sure they can say for sure whether or not it will work, but I'd be interested in finding out! I'm hoping to purchase my NAV unit and install soon (I wana do it 4th of July weekend). I want to purchase the other "hard to find" items before I bother worrying about the unit since I already know what I want.
http://www.myinstallkit.com/JAGUAR/2...tion%20Kit.htm

Old 06-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

No, the 2001 and older are ford harnesses (bigdreams05 did his) and the 02 and later (manufacture date of march 2001 or later) are new harnesses from my understanding. The harness the s-type takes is the same as the x-type. Metra makes a dash kit for the 03 newer s-types and is the same as the x-types. The harness you'd need is from nexxia in the UK. Once you have the harness, dash kit and antenna adapter it's just a matter of popping off the top trim panel on the radio/ac panel and removing a couple screws in the ash tray panel. Once those are gone you remove a couple of screws that hold the a/c and radio into the dash and than remove the whole panel it's really easy. Trust me though that place has no idea til they get into it and tell you it's going to be a couple extra hundred and they have to specially make everything! Most smart shops go and look at the car and say yes or no as to the ability of doing the install.

The total for the harness and antenna adapter is:
UK£ 53.75 = 105.79075 US$
Which seems pretty high compared to what it was before. The postage is 18GBP and the harness and antenna adapter are only 34 so they are killing on the shipping and whatever else they add in. Here's a link to the harness and what not...

Old 06-26-2008, 10:53 AM

Here's two other links as well.

http://www.parrotkits.com/donotcut.html#QCJAG-1
http://www.installer.com/cars/by_car.php?carid=3024

Again, I'm not a technicician so I don't know if any of these work or not. I've never taken apart the Jag headunit so I'm not sure what things look like as far as connections.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Hey 03 it says on that kit you linked that the stuff isn't available for that car. The only thing available is the PAC (pacific accessory corporation) sound system interface.

Unfortunately they don't have a wiring harness here in the states that I've been able to find. I don't know why metra makes a dash kit but no wiring harness??? It seems retarded that they make a dash kit but not the rest of the stuff required to make the change??? Here's their site and once again the part number is 99-9500. Here are instructions on the whole radio removal and install...

Old 06-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

That first link 03 is the wiring harness and the second one is the dash kit I've been telling you about.

BTW you can get the metra dash kit for less than 35 from other shops so don't buy that one their price is high. Just go to circuit city and tell them you need to order metra part no. 99-9500 and you'll be all set. Although the dash kit isn't black.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:29 AM

Okay so that gets me the dash kit down (I suppose maybe I can sand it, primer, paint it, and clearcoat it black [:@]). I'm guessing since I'm goign double din and not single din, there is some sort of way to cut intot hat middle section? it seems as if that pocket is going to be too large to fit in the screen. But basically what it's looking like is that there's no harness available, so you soulder the existing wires??? Is that the right idea?

Old 06-26-2008, 11:37 AM

Oh I just saw the other post you have on the wiring harness. They don't have these available in the US? Man I hope that doesn't take too long to come to the states! [:@]

Quick Reply: ??HELP?? Trying to Buy DOUBLE DIN CD/DVD/NAV stereo!