Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

??HELP?? Trying to Buy DOUBLE DIN CD/DVD/NAV stereo!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ??HELP?? Trying to Buy DOUBLE DIN CD/DVD/NAV stereo!

Okay just to get the part numbers right which one is the one to get? It looks to be on the Nexxia website that there are a few harnesses available. The antenna adaptor I'm assuming you mean is PC5-100? Will this allow me to still use the steering wheel controls?

Old 06-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK here's the deal, the parrot link you supplied (this link here) appears to be the harness needed to add an aftermarket radio but I'd call them and actually talk to someone about it (I thought that was the harness but it also states Parrot which is for phone.) Tell them what you are trying to do and see what happens. If it is in fact a real harness that is what you need and it is available in the states from what I found. The only other thing that you will need is to find an antenna harness which allows you to retain am/fm reception to the radio while using the factory antenna plug.

To retain your steering wheel controls the device you'll need is a PAC SWI-PS. They are around 50 bucks and work well. I installed a swix into a jeep and had to program all the controls but with the swips it's made for most of the radios manufactured. Installation was easy for me with the swix and the install on a swips is easier. With purchasing it you can contact PAC directly if you have any problems installing it into your vehicle.

I don't know how long it takes to ship but if your wanting it for the 4th of july you better get going to ensure you get it. If you go to nexxia and order they have different options for shipping times but it will cost you. I'd try the company that you linked with that harness and try their first.

From nexxia though here's what you need according to their site:

Harness-Non amplified: PC2-81-4

Antenna Adapter

PC5-100

They have a steering wheel interface for the car as well but I'd just buy the PAC but if you wanted you could buy that from them.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:16 PM

LOL yeah I know that's half the reason I'm buzzing with so many questions!!! Ideally I want to have this all ordered by the end of the day. Since I'm staying on campus I'm going to try and order it all today and have it overnighted to my cousin's job since I'll be in ATL for the weekend. I'll call them now to find out!

Old 06-26-2008, 02:21 PM

I just spoke with them and they say as long as it's non amplified, it's the right one so it's a go!! And the antenna adapter, was Nexxia the only place that had it? Ideally I want to order one that I can get in the states so I don't have to wait 3 months to get it in! I'm in the process of ordering the harness now. I'll order the PAC SWI-PS as well so I don't have to do it again down the road.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

I haven't been able to find any other form of antenna adapter. I noticed earlier that on the nexxia site it states Jaguar/Chrysler. I have a bunch of harnesses and dash kits laying around and found one of the antenna adapters I had laying around and what do ya know! The schosche antenna adapter part no. UAA from walmart has an adapter that looks a lot like the one on nexxia. Here is what I found...

Considering the cost of that adapter I'd go buy one and try it out and see. If I get a chance I'll go rip my radio out of the jag and check but right now I don't have time.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:57 PM

Sweet deal!!! I'll pick that up from Walmart today. I'll try to ask if there's anything I can do to fabricate a harness while I'm there too- otherwise I'll be ordering the one from the UK and playing the waiting game.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

How come I thought that harness you called on was good to go...the parrot one?

Old 06-26-2008, 06:13 PM

They said something about the Parrott one only being for Bluetooth. The guy who messaged me back could be wrong, but that's the way he implied things to me (not sure what that means because it appears as if everything on the site was for people interested in nav units).

Worse comes to worse, I'll have to scrap the idea on the DNX7120 and settle for a DNX5120 and have it all done by the shop for $1100-$1200 ish. That's the price they originally quoted me so I'm gonna try and weasel my way into not being charged extra since that's what they originally quoted me.

Also, this unit won't work for the double din because of the bar. It was an interesting attempt though. [X(]
http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_f...s/FP-14-01.jpg

Old 06-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

BTW that one will work you just have to cut the bar out.

Cut from nexxia's site...
Facia adaptor allow you to install a car radio of your choice with out altering your cars existing appearance. Can also be used to install a double din unit, click below for universal cage.

I'd hate to see you get that unit installed when I see them online in the 600's...1100/1200 installed is freaking high!

Old 06-26-2008, 07:29 PM

LOL well I'm glad you took the time out to let me know!!! I may be settling for the DNX5120 (its cheaper, plus it seems noone else on here has it so it'll put another spin on the options available ), then get the dash kit, and the Wiring Harness from Nexxia tomorrow. As far as the Antenna Adapter, either will work, though I may just see if I can toss that in from Nexxia since Walmart is a 30 minute drive from where I'm currently situated (LOL with the gas prices it'll make up the difference). I'll worry about doing the steering wheel controls at a later date, I just want to make sure everything is working and functioning how I want it to on the unit first and foremost.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:55 AM

Update, it is $133.94 for the double din mounting kit, antenna adapter, and wiring harness for the '03 S Type from Nexxia. Since I haven't ordered it yet, I don't have the price on the shipping just yet since I haven't ordered it OFFICIALLY yet. I plan to do that tomorrow more than likely, after I speak with my cousin's shop.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

Your cousin own's a shop? Why don't you have him make a harness and custom dash kit? But yeah I just hate to see people get raked over the coals on this stuff when it is something simple and easy...if we had no parts available I'd say don't attempt it but since the tools and parts are easily attainable there's no reason not to! BTW any local shop should have the kit and target/walmart/meijer or whatever store you are near would more than likely have the antenna adapter. Shoot if you weren't ordering yours today you could paypal me the money and I'd send it to ya before you order the nexxia one!

Old 06-28-2008, 10:16 AM

Oh sorry, when I said my cousin's shop I meant that thats the shop he frequently uses for his parts etc. Well I know the Antenna Adapter I can get from anywhere, but it was moreso the face plate and the wiring harness that has me leary. The shop said they couldn't tell me anything on the wiring harness until they ripped it apart so I figured it'd just be easier to pay the $20 for the one from Nexxia that way I could be sure. As far as the dash kit was concerned I'm still a little leary because the double din kit doesn't state that it'll work for the Jag (because it doesn't have the surround section like the single din). I think I'd be better off getting a single din and having it modified to fit. Which if that's the case I think I can get a metra kit from the states and save more on cost and shipping.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:23 AM

By any chance do you know what the difference between the DNX5120 and the DNX7120 is? I noticed it said something about the number of RCA sets, but I'm not sure how that all is going to affect me in the long run.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

The huge difference (and IMO the best thing is) with the 2 would be that the 7120 has a larger screen (6.95) and no cd/dvd slot on the front which IMO adds a lot of look when you have the clean look w/out being able to see the slot til you drop it. The other difference is (as with garmin navi units) you can add icons to the navigation so you could add a shape of a jag instead of the usual stuff preloaded on navi units. The 7120 also has xm weather and traffic alert system if you wanted it. Although I just found out the price difference them is disgusting![:'(]

But if you have the money to upgrade to the 7120 you might as well upgrade to the 8120 which has bluetooth built in. Personally the 7120 looks better than the 5120 but that price difference is quite substantial! Not worth it IMO but if you feel it is you might as well get the 8120 as I found it to be only about a 100 bucks more (online stores though.)

Old 06-28-2008, 07:31 PM

Well budget isn't a HUGE deal persay (the week after I get everything done my next paycheck should be coming in), I just don't know that I want to drop a full 1000 into my headunit just yet. I manged to find the 7120 for 829, that's theonly real reasonIonsidered getting it. As far as the 8120 I haven't found it for less tha 1250 so I don't think I'll go that far over just to have the opportunity to say that I can use bluetooth (considering I can just get a bluetooth adapter for 50-100). I just have to see where I'm shipping it to now LOL.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:55 PM

Okay folks, it's official! I just ordered the DNX7120 (899), the wiring harness, and a Metra Dash Kit (which I'll be having custom modded to fit the double din instead of the single din). I'll pick up the Antenna Adapter when I get to VA for install from Walmart. As far as the rewiring for the dash controlls, I'll be ordering the part at a later date (along with bluetooth adapter). I'll take photos of the install this weekend!

Old 06-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

Good to hear keep us updated!

Old 06-29-2008, 09:01 PM

Will do!!! The nav should be in by tuesday, and the dash kit (I went with a Metra that my buddy said he could modify to fit a double din) will be in on Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. I'm not quite sure that the wiring harness will be in just yet (since it's coming from the UK), so I may have to find something to do about that in the lines of custom installing. The antenna adapter I followed your advice and just got one from Walmart- if it doesn't work no biggie I rarely listen to the radio anyway so I can wait to get a new one.

As for the steering wheel adapter to keep steering wheel controls- I'll be doing that later, along with the bluetooth upgrade (I didn't want to invest ALL of my funds, in case I need to shell out a few more $$$ to make it all work LOL). Once my next check comes in though, I'll either look into doing those last mods (depending on how I live without them) or go ahead and do something with the brakes and lighting. Wheels are hopefully going to be done towards the end of summer or start of the fall.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:27 AM

Update 1:

Nexxia just emailed me today- they cancelled my order!!! They said they didn't do shipping outside of the UK to addresses other than the billing address (basically I can't ship to VA where I'm doing the install because my card is registered at my parents home address). [>:] So now it won't be able to come in on time.

Aquill1
Does your offer still stand on a wiring harness? I don't want to get into town with no wiring! LOL

Update 2:
I got a call from Amazon yesterday, and apparently they haven't even processed my order because they "needed to verify that I was making the order" and not some schmuck who had stolen my card. I called in some automated number to leave a message, but it still only reflects that I've paid them $1 and not the $937 for my order.

Quick Reply: ??HELP?? Trying to Buy DOUBLE DIN CD/DVD/NAV stereo!