Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

iPhone Connector

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
The following users liked this post:
vsxtype (05-19-2012)
Old 01-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I put a Parrott MKI 9200 in a 2003 S-type, non-premium audio system from the factory. Daughter's car, I don't drive it much, but when I do, I always punch the pwr button on the head unit to "off" to silence the rap and listen strictly to my Droid over bluetooth. She likes having the apple-plug for the iPod, too. In my opinion, the BT phone capability is far and away superior to the factory-installed BT module in my wife's 2005 S-type. Installation was quite simple with the adapter harness. THe key is in whether or not someone makes a harness for your particulare installation.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
I put a Parrott MKI 9200 in a 2003 S-type, non-premium audio system from the factory. Daughter's car, I don't drive it much, but when I do, I always punch the pwr button on the head unit to "off" to silence the rap and listen strictly to my Droid over bluetooth. She likes having the apple-plug for the iPod, too. In my opinion, the BT phone capability is far and away superior to the factory-installed BT module in my wife's 2005 S-type. Installation was quite simple with the adapter harness. THe key is in whether or not someone makes a harness for your particulare installation.
The Parrot kits go between the radio and the speakers and switch the audio between the two right. There's no way to use one as a "line in" setup where it would just plug in to one of the aux inputs on my pioneer nav setup is there?

George

Old 01-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I think you are correct. I don't really know the details of how it works, but am reasonably certain you can't mute all of your audio through a line-in so you wouldn't have full functionality. However, if you just wanted to use it when you have line-in selected, there may be a way. For my installation, the jumper harness had connectors that mirrored the back of the Jag head unit to plug to the car harness, plugs for the head unit, and an ISO connector for the Parrott.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
I think you are correct. I don't really know the details of how it works, but am reasonably certain you can't mute all of your audio through a line-in so you wouldn't have full functionality. However, if you just wanted to use it when you have line-in selected, there may be a way. For my installation, the jumper harness had connectors that mirrored the back of the Jag head unit to plug to the car harness, plugs for the head unit, and an ISO connector for the Parrott.
Yeah, basically what that's doing is going between the speakers and the radio. When the parrot is in use, its powering the speakers directly, irrelevant of what the radio is doing. When the parrot it isn't being used, it's simply connecting the radio back to the speakers.

You can convert the parrot to line in, BUT it wont automatically interrupt the radio when u have a phone call etc...

George

Old 03-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Acm

The official way to support an ipod/iphone is install an ACM.
The ACM is very expensive (Approx $1000 installed)
It will add a USB/Aux and iPod port to your armrest.

You will then be able to select play lists from by choosing the CD Changer and then selecting CD's which correspond to the play lists on the ipod. You will not be able to use the ipod screen on the ipod/iphone as it is disabled and Pandora etc. will not work (it switches back to the ipod when you press play).

HOWEVER - if you install the firmware update for the ACM : as described in the link in the post above - it is for a Mercedes DB2 (completely unoffical) but I guess it is the same device then everything works great, you can use your ipod screen to browse and select music, pandora works etc.

Without this firmware update the ACM is absolute JUNK!

Old 04-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by androulakis
The Parrot kits go between the radio and the speakers and switch the audio between the two right. There's no way to use one as a "line in" setup where it would just plug in to one of the aux inputs on my pioneer nav setup is there?

George
Yes, there is.

Parrot kits can be installed in 2 different ways:
  1. Car Stereo with ISO connectors:
    Most Jaguar X/SType owners install it this way, because we have stock audio system without aux input (I have just installed a mki9100 to my stock non-premium audiosystem using an iso adapter to avoid cutting wires this way, the only problem I see is that I can't use the radio sound controls, such as balance, fader... but the USB, ipod/iphone and line-in options added to my car for music are great).
  2. Car Stereo with line-in:
    Installing it this way you won't use the ISO connectors that come with the kit, you will only use the power wires, the line-out wires (two pair of them if you want stereo) and the mute one. If you don't use the mute wire or your ṕoneer nav setup doesn't have an external mute, your radio won't interrupt automatically when the parrot is working.
    Check this parrot user guide in pdf in page 5 to see it.