Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Looking to connect...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Looking to connect...

So I went to Al 'n' Eds today. The audio guy there suggested a 3 way (!) relay to connect my iPod/iPhone hardwired and my XM radio...

Does this sound feasible? He is suggesting adding the relay to the CD changer... I can't do bluetooth because there is so much noise in the Los Angeles area...

Julie

Old 12-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

No one can answer this until you tell us which model and year you have. Also, is the stereo still the stock system?

Old 12-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Default Whoops!

Sorry about that... didn;t thnik it was impt.

So the car is a 1999 VDP. Stock stereo with a changer mounted in the back. As I said, the audio guy said he could rig a 3-way relay and toggle switch via the cd player/changer... He first mentioned a 2 way when I told him I wanted an iPod hookup, then when I asked about XM radio he said it could just as easily be a 3 way relay...

Does this sound feasible? I would think sound quality would be slightly diminished, but not appreciably since it is hardwiring...

The toggle may be a bit unsightly, I'd want it as hidden as possible, but the iPod dock could be in the ashtray...

Any other ideas?

Julie

Old 12-31-2010, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by joolz
Sorry about that... didn;t thnik it was impt.

So the car is a 1999 VDP. Stock stereo with a changer mounted in the back. As I said, the audio guy said he could rig a 3-way relay and toggle switch via the cd player/changer... He first mentioned a 2 way when I told him I wanted an iPod hookup, then when I asked about XM radio he said it could just as easily be a 3 way relay...

Does this sound feasible? I would think sound quality would be slightly diminished, but not appreciably since it is hardwiring...

The toggle may be a bit unsightly, I'd want it as hidden as possible, but the iPod dock could be in the ashtray...

Any other ideas?

Julie
Hey Joolz -

Glad to see you over here as well as the Mercedes Forum.

There will be NO sound quality degredation with hardwiring.

Read / Sort through this thread. Everything is there including wiring diagrams.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=11943

Two things if you plan to use an ipod:

First, get a cable / adapter that gives your RCA or 1/8" jack audio out from the bottom Dock connector of the ipod, not one that plugs into the headphone port, sound will be much better and direct line output, not distorted through the headphone amplifier.

You may want to consider some sort of ipod control system, as using selecting stuff on the ipod tends to become cumbersome/ distracting.. The Harman Kardon Drive + Play comes to mind (I had one in a previous vehicle and it worked well). Complete control via an ipod like click wheel, with a screen to show you what's going on:

http://cgi.ebay.com/harman-kardon-dr...item5195e6e080

They also have an Alpine EX-10 that has a color screen and adds bluetooth calling, but you lose the click wheel, and have to do everything via the alpine remote.

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-eX-10-B.../dp/B0012CTIDK

Good luck,

George

Old 12-31-2010, 04:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Couldn't you just daisy-chain a couple of these PIE units in the AI-net between changer and deck?

Old 12-31-2010, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
Couldn't you just daisy-chain a couple of these PIE units in the AI-net between changer and deck?
Correct me if I'm wrong here, I don't have direct experience with the Jaguar Ai-Net Systems, however in the BMW and Mercedes worlds, Ai-Net accessories were not directly compatible with the OEM systems mostly due to proprietary changes to the data bus. BMW moves the wiring around, MB has a CRC protocol to confirm it's an MB branded Alpine changer etc...

Using the Actual Jaguar Changer overcomes this. Btw, you can also hack into the CD Changer cable behind the radio rather than in the trunk.

George

Old 01-01-2011, 03:50 PM

I just don't have enough knowledge to know if his premise works... I am a pure consumer and design snob... that's why I'm driving a Jag! (I also research anything I am about to undertake, that's why I'm on the Merc forums as wel!

Thanks for the input, sounds feasible. @George, thanks, good advice about the lower dock rather than the headphone port.