Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

The New Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool The New Sound System

So i did post a while back about a new system i was putting into the X.
Things have changed slightly since i had some discussions with phd12volt, and realize that the previous ideas would require too much work with noise cancelations and such
I have attached a 3d drawing of the sub and amp rack.
Equipment:
Infinity Kappa FOUR (125WrmsX4)
Infinity Kappa ONE (800WrmsX1@2ohm)
(2) DIYMA 12 (inverted)
Pioneer PRS-C720 (front doors, running active off the Kappa FOUR)
Pioneer TS-D1602R (rear doors, running of the factory head unit)
Audio Control LC7 line level controller
Audio Control 2XS 2way cross over (used to run the front speakers active)

I am going to start the build on the enclosure/amp rack this weekend
The cutout on the front of the enclosure is going to be for an acrylic Jaguar Logo that will be backlite with some green LED's

I have already started to install some dynamat extreme in the trunk and rear parcel shelf due to some extreme rattling (i installed both the subs so i could break them in prior to the "big" install )

I will also do a large write up when this is all done

Let me know what you guys think.

Attached Thumbnails The New Sound System-6-12-2009-10-12-36-am.jpg  
Old 06-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

looks like a ported enclosure, where and how are you mounting the enclosure??? port going to fire up through the rear deck?? open trunk see subs?? just curious.

and dont blame me, i was just letting you know about problems ive had to work around in the past.

and i like this design much better anyway!!!!!

Old 06-15-2009, 02:42 PM

The enclosure is sealed (.85cuft/sub)
The opening you see was left there for a backlit Jaguar Logo i have been working on. Just needed to leave it there for the measurements.

The subs are firing down, so the magnets will face the rear parcel shelf. This will sit against the back seat in the trunk.

I have finished the box and now just have to prep it for paint. wood primer then a semi-gloss black finish.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

now please dont take this the wrong way, okay??

When mounting the subs with the way i see you doing it, they would work this way, IF and only if they were at the rear most portion of the vehicle. If you take the enclosure and point the magnets at the rear of the car, you will notice a major increase in bass response. This is due to the fact that you are "creating" a longer path length for the lower frequencies. The major difference you will "hear" will be extendend lower frequency response if the subs dont originate directly under the rear deck. Try it before permently mounting it. If you look at my pics in my account here, you will see my old GTI with the subs like you are describing it, but notice the location of the woofers in relation to the rear most portion of the vehicle. And yes i know it is a hatchback, but it works the same way. I wish you were closer so i could explain it in more detail. I like the fact that you are thinking beyond just a standard box thrown in the trunk, that says alot. And i like the fact that your at least pondering things that people say. I absolutely want to help you get the most sound for your money, hence why im trying to get you to look at other obstacles that may effect you.

here is what im talking about:

Last edited by phd12volt; 06-16-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:01 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by phd12volt
now please dont take this the wrong way, okay??

When mounting the subs with the way i see you doing it, they would work this way, IF and only if they were at the rear most portion of the vehicle. If you take the enclosure and point the magnets at the rear of the car, you will notice a major increase in bass response. This is due to the fact that you are "creating" a longer path length for the lower frequencies. The major difference you will "hear" will be extendend lower frequency response if the subs dont originate directly under the rear deck. Try it before permently mounting it. If you look at my pics in my account here, you will see my old GTI with the subs like you are describing it, but notice the location of the woofers in relation to the rear most portion of the vehicle. And yes i know it is a hatchback, but it works the same way. I wish you were closer so i could explain it in more detail. I like the fact that you are thinking beyond just a standard box thrown in the trunk, that says alot. And i like the fact that your at least pondering things that people say. I absolutely want to help you get the most sound for your money, hence why im trying to get you to look at other obstacles that may effect you.

here is what im talking about:

Def agree and understand what you are saying. A few key factors have decided my sub placement. The biggest is i still want to maintain some useable trunk space. Also when i did the sound damping install, i did a few things that will help out with this. On the rear deck lid there are 2 6.5" cut outs for the factory sub. i did not cover them and also when i installed the foam under the rear parcel shelf liner (top rduce rattle) i cut those holes out.... basicall the trunk is ported to the inside of the car. I also did a ton of reasearch on the subs themselfs to make sure the fit my "style". I am not looking for loud as much as i want accuracy. Also that is why i chose to go with 2 12"s instead of just one. This way location will not be as critical.

Thanks for the input.