Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Pionner AVIC-X710BT

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pionner AVIC-X710BT

Has anyone installed the Pioneer AVIC-X710BT in an S-type. I have 2004 S-type without navigation. I'm wondering if there is enough depth for the unit to fit properly.

Thx

Old 01-18-2010, 12:28 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Here is a search I did for you, there's a few posts about the AVIC unit and s-types. See what these may answer for you.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

It's tight but it will fit. I have an AVIC D3 in mine.
You want a metra 99-9501B dash kit.

I am going to put together a guide to swapping the audio in these cars.

George

Old 01-19-2010, 09:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For others to reference...Pioneer Avic Series & X type...

I have a 2004 x type using the same Metra 99-9501 kit with a Avic f90BT. This unit " will not fit " without moding...and then it will stand out of the facia around 1/4"...which for me is acceptable. Waiting for a GPS antenna/cable to arrive to complete the install (pioneer sent the wrong one)....what a nightmare getting this right!

Old 01-20-2010, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fixit4u2
For others to reference...Pioneer Avic Series & X type...

I have a 2004 x type using the same Metra 99-9501 kit with a Avic f90BT. This unit " will not fit " without moding...and then it will stand out of the facia around 1/4"...which for me is acceptable. Waiting for a GPS antenna/cable to arrive to complete the install (pioneer sent the wrong one)....what a nightmare getting this right!
The X-Type and the S-Type are completely different in terms of what's behind the dash.

There's a big heater box behind the dash in the X-Type that Isn't there in the S-Type. The Stype has ample clearance for a double din radio but the factory wiring makes it a bit of a pain. X-type has no wiring clearance issues, but has that heater box, which makes the radio stick out. Personally I think an X-type install would be harder, and very difficult to make look "factory".

Old 01-21-2010, 06:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow... thanks for all the feedback!! What is it about the S-type wiring that makes it so difficult?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CDNJagnut
Wow... thanks for all the feedback!! What is it about the S-type wiring that makes it so difficult?
Well, the S-type's factory center console stack wiring harness has one center wiring loom, that splits into 3 separate sections. The first section goes to the bottom button panel that contains the heated seat swtiches, the hazard, and power lock buttons.

The second section is the actual harness for the CD player / factory head unit.

The third section goes up to the climate control.

Here's the issue, there's plenty of overall length to pull the whole center stack out of the dash. BUT the original Jaguar radio only has a single din radio behind that huge faceplate. When you fill the space with a double din radio, it's really a stretch to get the wires to plug into the bottom switch panel, AND the climate control. Both of these plug into the center of the respective factory panels (bottom switch panel, and climate control) you have to get the factory harness to "straddle" the new double din radio and there just isn't that much length left forward of the split. The first time I got it back into the dash, it ended up pulling the right harness out of the climate control panel. Besides that and there isn't all that much room for all the wiring (add on radio harness, antenna adapter, all the rca plugs, steering wheel controller etc etc) plus the double din headunit. You end up sort of having to cram everything in. Once you get it in it's ok I guess.

Doing a double din in an X-type seems like it would be quite the challenge. The BMW E39 guys do it by cutting a section out of their plastic heater box, and replacing it with a metal panel someone fabricated, which basically notches the heater box, and makes room for the head unit. Personally I think you'd either have to push the unit out, or build up the kit. (Or cut into that heater box).

On my X-type I wanted to get a single din in there Using the two din slot kit, but I wanted to use the top din slot, and it just wasn't happening. I ended up with the pocket in the top din slot and the head unit on the bottom.

Then again the double din units tend to not be as deep as the single din ones. And with a little work and fabrication, anything can be done.

Personally I'd modify and work with the dash kit before I ever cut into the car's heater box.

George

Old 01-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's tight... I tried it yesterday and yes.. you need to manage the cables quite well. Also, I placed the GPS receiver on top of the climate controls and all the excessive cables.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you unplug wires from the bottom switch panel?

How do you unplug the wiring harnesses from the bottom switch panel? All of the other harnesses come off easily by pressing a tab. I'm planning to install the new Alpine INA-W900. I have all of the other necessary parts on the way as well.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just wiggle a bit and it should come off. It wasn't that hard or tricky to remove the wires. Good Luck!