Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Question about Subwoofer replacement on STR

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Question about Subwoofer replacement on STR

Hey guys, when I had bought my STR, the person removed the Subs from the rear deck. I'm not sure but are there suppose to be two 8" subs? or just 1? Lastly whats the best type of 8" subs to replace the OEM one? I heard the OEMs are crap

LEt me know what you guys think of this type of Sub;
Pioneer TS-SW841D
link:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-SW8...5996597&sr=1-1

Old 10-02-2010, 01:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jag79
Hey guys, when I had bought my STR, the person removed the Subs from the rear deck. I'm not sure but are there suppose to be two 8" subs? or just 1? Lastly whats the best type of 8" subs to replace the OEM one? I heard the OEMs are crap

LEt me know what you guys think of this type of Sub;
Pioneer TS-SW841D
link:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-SW8...5996597&sr=1-1
They were actually 6" subs. There is 2 of them in the back deck. There are grills right near the third brake light. Tomorrow I can snap some pics if you would like of what they look like. I know Riski was mentioning the JL audio 6" subs like the link below. There isnt very many companies that make a 6" sub thats not within a component set. I have read good reviews of the JL's and I'm considering them as a future mod.
http://www.amazon.com/JL-AUDIO-4OHM-.../dp/B002QCGI56

Old 10-02-2010, 02:23 AM
Veteran Member
Unhappy

Originally Posted by vance580
They were actually 6" subs. There is 2 of them in the back deck. There are grills right near the third brake light. Tomorrow I can snap some pics if you would like of what they look like. I know Riski was mentioning the JL audio 6" subs like the link below. There isnt very many companies that make a 6" sub thats not within a component set. I have read good reviews of the JL's and I'm considering them as a future mod.
http://www.amazon.com/JL-AUDIO-4OHM-.../dp/B002QCGI56
Thank you for clarifying the size of the subs. I saw the link for the subs but do they sell them as a pair or individually on amazon? If you can take sme snaps of your subs with the wires connected to it I would greatly appreciate it. When my trunk is open I see only see 2 circular cut outs but not sure where the wires are hidden.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

It looks from my pics that the wiring is ran on top of the parcel shelf. So it looks like you will have to remove the parcel shelf to see if you still have the wiring to the amp. I would maybe see if you can get a finger in there to feel around and see if the wiring is still there. Otherwise to remove the shelf you have to remove the bottom part of the back seat then unbolt the top part to get access to the bolts to remove the parcel shelf. Thats the standard way to get to it, I've never removed it so dont quote me if there is more involved but I have done plenty of other cars and they all seem to be the same but then again this is a Jaguar.

Attached Thumbnails Question about Subwoofer replacement on STR-dscf8573.jpg   Question about Subwoofer replacement on STR-dscf8575.jpg  

Last edited by vance580; 10-02-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Default Pics of missing Subwoofers

It looks from my pics that the wiring is ran on top of the parcel shelf. So it looks like you will have to remove the parcel shelf to see if you still have the wiring to the amp. I would maybe see if you can get a finger in there to feel around and see if the wiring is still there. Otherwise to remove the shelf you have to remove the bottom part of the back seat then unbolt the top part to get access to the bolts to remove the parcel shelf. Thats the standard way to get to it, I've never removed it so dont quote me if there is more involved but I have done plenty of other cars and they all seem to be the same but then again this is a Jaguar.

...Hey bro thanks again for the pics, I'm kinda confused on what you meant by the parcel shelf? LIke from my pics I took, I'm missing that silver plate cover. Is that what holds the subs in place? If so I'm screwed because I dont have it. Secondly do I have to remove that mesh grill thats behind the back seats from inside the car? When I got my rear window tinted, I couldn't remove it, so I left it alone,and thankfully the window tint guy did a good job going around it, but still I'm baffled on how to remove that, I'm not sure if you are referring to that mesh grill inside being the parcel shelf. About the wires I still have no idea where they are located, I will try to remove that mesh grill inside to get a better idea once I find out how to remove it firstly,lolz..Alright bro thanks again, any ideas from you or anyone else on how to get those 6" JL speakers installed on the STR would be terrific!
Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails Question about Subwoofer replacement on STR-p1000134.jpg   Question about Subwoofer replacement on STR-p1000139.jpg  
Old 10-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Subs

I am a pack rat - and the 6" "alpine" factory subs were soo bad I actually tossed them right into the trash - against my pack rat nature.

I made an oval shaped MDF adapter which uses the factory threaded inserts in the deck to hold it up, and into that 'adapter' I fastened two Hertz 165mm (HCX165) co axials.
I was skeptical at first, but overall these sound pretty good - however I am driving them - AND the factory speakers in the doors with a 4 x 60rms + 1 160 RMS (for the subs) - Hertz EP5 amp.

Lots of people on the forum here have been very helpful in this - and granted I have not taken it nearly as far as they recommended, however time and funds factor in to feel that it is really quite decent - for now.

Pete

Old 10-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jag79
...Hey bro thanks again for the pics, I'm kinda confused on what you meant by the parcel shelf? LIke from my pics I took, I'm missing that silver plate cover. Is that what holds the subs in place? If so I'm screwed because I dont have it. Secondly do I have to remove that mesh grill thats behind the back seats from inside the car? When I got my rear window tinted, I couldn't remove it, so I left it alone,and thankfully the window tint guy did a good job going around it, but still I'm baffled on how to remove that, I'm not sure if you are referring to that mesh grill inside being the parcel shelf. About the wires I still have no idea where they are located, I will try to remove that mesh grill inside to get a better idea once I find out how to remove it firstly,lolz..Alright bro thanks again, any ideas from you or anyone else on how to get those 6" JL speakers installed on the STR would be terrific!
Cheers!
The parcel shelf is just me saying the area you have pictured in your second pic. Its the shelf behind your rear seats where the brake light is. I've removed the carpeted section which is where the top part of the speaker is on a few cars but not the S type. It should be the same. But you have to remove the rear seat which you have to get your knee in the front part of the seat and push it towards the rear to get it to unhitch from the hooks. You have to do that on both sides then you should be able to pull out the seat part. Then you should have access to the bolts that hold the seat backs in place. Once you remove the backs you should have access to the carpeted part of the shelf there. Its looking like someone had some sort of home made box built in place of where the subs were. Its looking like you may have to get to the top and see if your stock wiring is there so you can use the amp and then you can measure out those holes and if they are 6" you can still go the JL route. Those are sold individually also so you would have to buy 2. Hopefully Riski will chime in on the JL's as I havent done the upgrade yet but seeing his post on it he sounded like he was very happy with the setup.

Looking at your pics again it looks like they stacked a piece of wood on the openings of the 6" to make it big enough for 2 8" and then screwed them in from the bottom and just used the 6" opening as a grill into the cabin. So you could also get 2 8" and use the same setup since its already built in there for you. But since the wiring isnt there you will have to wire it in somehow. Hooking up an aftermarket amp to the battery is the easy part its getting the audio signal to the amp that you would have to figure out. I would dig around and see if you might have some wiring hiding under your trunk carpet and maybe you will get lucky and it was left behind.

Last edited by vance580; 10-02-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member

The parcel shelf is just me saying the area you have pictured in your second pic. Its the shelf behind your rear seats where the brake light is. I've removed the carpeted section which is where the top part of the speaker is on a few cars but not the S type. It should be the same. But you have to remove the rear seat which you have to get your knee in the front part of the seat and push it towards the rear to get it to unhitch from the hooks. You have to do that on both sides then you should be able to pull out the seat part. Then you should have access to the bolts that hold the seat backs in place. Once you remove the backs you should have access to the carpeted part of the shelf there. Its looking like someone had some sort of home made box built in place of where the subs were. Its looking like you may have to get to the top and see if your stock wiring is there so you can use the amp and then you can measure out those holes and if they are 6" you can still go the JL route. Those are sold individually also so you would have to buy 2. Hopefully Riski will chime in on the JL's as I havent done the upgrade yet but seeing his post on it he sounded like he was very happy with the setup.

Looking at your pics again it looks like they stacked a piece of wood on the openings of the 6" to make it big enough for 2 8" and then screwed them in from the bottom and just used the 6" opening as a grill into the cabin. So you could also get 2 8" and use the same setup since its already built in there for you. But since the wiring isnt there you will have to wire it in somehow. Hooking up an aftermarket amp to the battery is the easy part its getting the audio signal to the amp that you would have to figure out. I would dig around and see if you might have some wiring hiding under your trunk carpet and maybe you will get lucky and it was left behind.
....Hey I did some searching around the forums and came up with Jason's step by step guide with pics on how to get the rear mesh grill off and get access to the 6" subs. here's the link http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3358987/2

Yeah your right about the bottom board being cut out to the 8" sizes and being screwed in from the bottom to hold it up. I'm going to dig around more tomorrow in the day time and try to remove the mesh grill and look around in there for the wires that connect up to the amp. Thanks again for all your help.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

No problem. Thanks for that link too. I knew it would probably be a little different. I would also check around under the trunk carpet cause if they did that with the speakers they most likely ran something to get the signal to an aftermarket amp. I can't see someone going through all that trouble to then run the wire through your speaker openings then drilling the speaker in up against the wires to use the factory amp.