Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Steering control wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering control wiring

I need help with my 02 x type 3.0. My new radio head unit doesn't give very good instructions for hooking up the steering control unit. I need to know more about the Jag wiring. I have three bare wires coming out of my radio and it says in the manuel that you can use one or more of the wires according to the steering wheel functions. I am thinking one is mute, one is select band, and the other is vol up/down. Anyone have the notion if I"m right or any guess as how to get this done?

The manuel says to connect wire one (yellow and black) if there is only one wire connection for steering wheel. If it has two then connect wire one and wire two (yellow) like Toyota series cars. Wire three(black) has a resitance of 10 ohms if not used. If wire three is connected to wire one it has 1 ohm. Wierd crap for me!

I know you can get wiring boxes to hook up the steering control and I will do that but they all require you to know what connection will be needed by the radio, such as 1/8 plug or other din type plugs. I have no clue which box to get.

Anyone speak this language?

Old 05-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Steering control wiring

My 2000 S uses a Focus connector. thankfully very common. Try that? Call an install shop?

Old 05-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Yah, install shop is 'programming' my new deck to work with the PAC steering wheel controls. I asked that the phone button control the 'source' command, and during DVD/MP3 playback, the side button will advance tracks, in FM/HD Radio mode, it will cycle thru the presets. I am not sure how he does it.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:34 PM

What I found... I know where to locate the adpater that will match the Jag wiring but the other end mates up to the radio, this is the problem. All of the adapters have a specific type plug for each type radio, ex alpine has a 1/8 jack while JVC uses a 4 pin din plug. I need one for a three wire, not sure if a 1/8 plug like the Alpine is three conductor otherwise I would just wire it in.

I guess I will have to ask an install shop like cosworth said. Most around here have told me that the aftermarket radio for a Jag is custom no adapters available. I am thinking they aren't that familiar with the adapters or the car either.

If anyone else has a solution post it.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:33 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

PAC makes one for almost all aftermarket units...Sony, Alpine, JVC, Eclipse...here is a good list of them. I don't know which head unit you got, but it seems doable. Don't know what you mean about no adapters for the jag...I presume you mean these steering wheel control units?

Old 05-29-2008, 10:35 PM

All the install shops I talked to said they couldn't find an adapter for it, even though I found it in about five minutes on-line. They all want to do it custom which means cutting the wires. Not what I want to do.

But I'm still looking for a way to mate my radio to the jag via steering controls

Old 06-07-2008, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nexxia.co.uk

Look up Car Stereo Fittings...

Old 01-11-2012, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Grim001
The manual says to connect wire one (yellow and black) if there is only one wire connection for steering wheel. If it has two then connect wire one and wire two (yellow) like Toyota series cars. Wire three(black) has a resitance of 10 ohms if not used. If wire three is connected to wire one it has 1 ohm. Wierd crap for me!
On my 2005 'base model' X-type I was able to connect pin 18 on the radio harness to the (+) wire on my aftermarket head unit and then grounded the head unit to make it all work. My head unit (chinese no-name) had three wires which were labeled for steering wheel controls (swc). Since my car had only one wire, I simply used the single wire at pin 18 as I mentioned and as seen in the picture.

Name:  2012-01-11.jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  87.8 KB

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I didn't want to create another post when I have been searching for days online for this solution. When I found found the answer I have been coming back to old theads that got close but did not have the solution, for any future searchers. Since this one already had all of the content needed for my response, ta-da here ya go. I am in the process of replacing my entire factory entertainment system (base model) and will hopefully have lots to write up when I'm all done. Perhaps that will go in a new post.