Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Will an Alpine DVD changer work with a 2000 XJ8 OEM Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will an Alpine DVD changer work with a 2000 XJ8 OEM Head Unit

Has anyone ever tried to add an Alpine DVD changer using the Ai-Net cable?

Old 08-23-2010, 12:14 AM
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, it won't work. The commands Jaguar use on the AiNet bus are different to those used by Alpine.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:19 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Nope, they're the same manufacturer, but speak a different digital language.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Default Aftermarket head units

Oh Lawd! Owning an old Jaguar is like living with a beautiful curvy woman. She can get a way with stuff an ugly woman would never try. I guess I have to replace the beautiful head unit with an ugly high tech unit.

1. Is there an adapter for the steering wheel remote for JVC or Alpine? I work for the company that made that remote. It's an Amp / Tyco Electronics part with the Ford logo on it. I suspect that the same part was used on other vehicles as well... I'm guessing a Ford... .

Links to other images.
http://www.hanabalkhaing.com/jag/steeringremote.jpg

http://www.hanabalkhaing.com/jag/whiteampconnector.jpg

http://www.hanabalkhaing.com/jag/whiteconnectorpins.jpg

http://www.hanabalkhaing.com/jag/wires.jpg

2. Will a JVC head unit control an alpine DVD Changer if both are new. I want the DVD changer because it will hold my entire music collection and I don't have to plug it in or unplug it every time I enter or exit the vehicle.

3. Is there a custom face place that can be used when replacing the head unit with a single DIN head unit? I might just carve one out of wood and try to match the varnish that is already in the car.

I am considering two head units.

Alpine iDA-X305S - Ugly, will control DVD changer, !!!NO CD OR DVD PLAYER INTERNALLY!!!, controls ipod/iphone, streams internet radio from pandora, needs external devices for bluetooth, sat radio, etc.

JVC KD-AVX77 El Kameleon DVD/CD/USB Receiver - Best looking, full width LCD touch screen, looks best with the interior, internal DVD player, (Don't know if it can control the DVD changer), hard drive and ipod/iphone compatible, plays DVD video though the head unit screen, EXTERNAL NAVIGATION COMPATIBLE, built-in bluetooth, built-in audio streaming.

I think the JVC unit would look great if I could make a wood carved cover to go around it with the jaguar leaper in gold or silver embedded in the wood like they are on the wooden gear shift handles. It would be even better with a matching gear shift handle. The LCD unit will also take custom backgrounds... Maybe one with Jaguar on it would make it look almost factory installed. Maybe even one with an actual jaguar!

What do you think?

Old 08-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@Hanabal

It's all about the faceplate I think. If you are creative and can make a really nice one that matches the interior then you may be happy with it. The XJs interior is just so nice in the first place its difficult to do something aftermarket and have it look right.

Some of the features you are looking for (mp3, satellite, bluetooth phone) can be accomplished with the standard system, but DVD playing and navigation are outside the scope (for XJ owners, although it can be done using the stock system on XKs if they have the factory nav screen)

As far as your HU choices, I really like the JVC units because when they are off they just look blank/black. Alpine HUs always look blingy, even when they're not lit up (IMHO)

Anyway, let us know how you get on....

Old 09-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Hanabal
I am considering two head units.

Alpine iDA-X305S - Ugly, will control DVD changer, !!!NO CD OR DVD PLAYER INTERNALLY!!!, controls ipod/iphone, streams internet radio from pandora, needs external devices for bluetooth, sat radio, etc.

What do you think?
I went with exactly this unit. Just got it from Fedex today. I would like to keep the stock Jag CD changer, but the connection cable is older and not compatible with the one on this new Alpine. I am researching the possibility of finding an adapter, but even if it does not exist, oh well, I rarely use CDs anyway except for maybe books on disc.

I decided on the Alpine for their reputation and features in this particular unit. As you pointed out, though it says Bluetooth Ready, that does not mean it comes equipped with Bluetooth. You need to get an adapter, which runs another $123 bucks if you go with the Alpine model as I did in order to use pandora. But it comes with a microphone and a cable to route it to the head unit so the phone buttons on the Alpine will function. Once installed it should be pretty nice but one thing at a time. I've got steering wheel adapter cables that hopefully will work fine, but one advantage to the big (ugly-? I didn't think so) knob is it's easy to control without looking down at the radio.

Not sure why you care about the JVC navigation. If you already have an iPhone or Droid, you probably won't want to bother with a car-based nav unit anyway. I swore off mine almost a year ago and never looked back. The Droid sits in a holder and talks directions to me turn by turn - I never have to look at it. Why anyone would waste 3k on a quickly-obsolete factory installed nav system with phones like these is beyond me. One of these days car companies will get it and start offering docks built into the dashboard for smartphones, but in the meantime they insist on pushing entertainment and nav systems as expensive profit hooks. No thanks.

Anyway, unlike most other companies, Alpine only makes car audio and it shows. The reviews for this unit were overwhelmingly positive. That, and it fits better than I expected into the weird opening of the 1997 radio slot. More to follow upon completion of installation.

Last edited by BurgXK8; 09-08-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:44 AM

I might have a DVD changer for you...

Old 09-15-2010, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Hanabal
I might have a DVD changer for you...
Let me know - will it fit into the stock location?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Default Alpine DVD changer only works with new alpine heads

Not only will it not work with another head, it disables everything else connected to the changer port. It is only good for stand alone rear seat entertainment. I'm not sure what I will use for the rear seat.

I'm not sure about the measurement.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:51 AM

I've learned the stock CD changer is pretty much useless for anything but the original radio, and even most aftermarkets will not link up with newer head units from any manufacturer. But there is a possibility of using an older (2004) AINet compatible Alpine changer with a newer Alpine head unit. I'm looking at a few options, but since Alpine does not make CD changers anymore that leaves old stock new ones at ridiculous prices or taking chances with a used changer. May just say to hell with it.

The way digital media is going, if the same situation is not already true for DVD changers, it probably will be in the near future.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Default Digital Media

I think there may be no changers of any kind in the future. The JVC head unit I just installed can play movies directly from my iPod. It also plays streaming internet radio from Pandora though the bluetooth connection. I have satellite radio as well. I'll probably still hook up the changer to something since it's there. I might try to find a 2000 Vanden Plas interior and convert the picnic trays to fold down monitors or something like that.

This modification turned out to be a nightmare. I spend over $200 finding the right paint that would stand up to in-car heat and look good in the dash. I finally found black gloss engine enamel from duplicolor. It spread on well and is currently drying in my garage. The total audio modification cost is now just under $2500 bucks, but I have over 2800 watts, 12 speakers, etc. It sounds great.

I probably would have been happy with the factory head unit and the dvd changer for mp3s, but I'm grateful for the new sound quality.

I also found out that both 5 1/4 inch and 6.5 inch speakers fit the XJ8. The 5 1/4 fit if inserting from the outside of the door panel with the use of the aftermarket grill. The 6.5 inch speakers fit if you insert them from the inside of the door panel and use the factory grill.

I custom modified the 5 1/4 inch speakers to seal the front rim of the speaker with the door panel so it produces stronger bass.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Hanabal,

Did you manage to source the female end of the yellow plug?

I'm looking to replace my stock radio/ casstte and will need to splice and dice the loom..

Cheer's

Old 12-21-2011, 04:39 AM
Default No female for yellow plug

No. I could not find an adapter and I work for the company that made the OEM connector.