Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

X-type CD players

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X-type CD players

Hey guys. What's difference between the "regular" CD player and the CD player that comes with the "Premium" Alpine Audio System? I know the "Premium" system has more power, but is it from a separate amplifier or is it inside the deck?

Is the premium deck made by Alpine? Who is the regular deck made by?

I'd like to upgrade my stereo (deck and amplification) to the premium system. Only the deck and amplification though. I'll be using MB Quart components in the front doors, and MB Quart Coaxials in the rear doors. To take the place of the two small subs that would normally be in the rear deck, I plan on running those two channels to a single dual voice coil JL Audio 12W6 (the old school one).

Do I just need the premium deck, or is there a seperate amp that goes with it???

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: X-type CD players

So do you plan on getting a different cd player or aftermarket to stick up in there? The premium (i'm pretty sure) is just different and more speakers and they generally have a cd changer but mainly a separate amp to power the speakers. This amp is small...from what I've heard the premium sound is quite lacking...I would think the radio itself is similar to what every car has...You already get all of your car audio equipment yet? My supplier have me a real good deal on the esa213's but they are 5.25 (mb quart) they are like $45 for a pair....I get the 6.5's for about $65...but if you replacing your door speakers and adding a sub for bass I'd seriously just go with a set of those 5.25's...why aren't you wanting to put them front and rear?

Old 11-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't plan on replacing the stock CD player if it's the same as the premium one. And I've actually decided on using a JBL MS-8 or a Rockford Fosgate 3SIXTY.2 to convert the speaker level outs to RCA.

I will be replacing all the stock speakers with MB Quart. Bass will be courtesy of JL Audio.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well if you want some mb quarts let me know which ones you were looking for and I'll see what I can get them for...I don't understand why everyone loves jl so much? I just heard a set of w6's hooked up to a stock fj cruiser's radio and the guy spent like 2 grand on the subs amp and converting it and it sounds clean but it seriously disappointed me. I told my father in law to come over and listen to some real sub like the kicker, ma audio, hifonics, kenwood and rockford and I totally felt like an idiot because the guys system didn't sound that good at all. The box he had was a specially made one from jl I didn't want to look into it further as I thought it sounded a little weak for what it was...a set of kicker cvrs pounded harder and were super clear that I had hooked up to...I don't know maybe I'm wrong but the money you spend on that jl stuff doesn't seem worth it to me...jbl is nice though! Which 3sixty are you going to buy? Crutchfield keeps sending me info on all the latest and the cheaper .1 system got horrible reviews from a couple of people...the .2 system got really good reveiws but it also cost $600!!! Before you sink that kind of money into it I'd buy a double din head unit and get a way better sound quality and radio in general. If your worried about losing your steering controls never fear! I just installed a pac swix it integrates the steering wheel controls with the wireless remote from the aftermarket radio. Cost of that was $50 bucks and it wasn't bad to program at all. Pac supplies you with the wire you have to tap into under the steering wheel and programming was super easy. I know you can find a avic d3 by pioneer that has navigation for under $800 i get them for like $750 so you should be able to find them online very easily! Its more than the rockford 3sixty.2 but not by much plus your getting navigation and a tv screen even if you never use it!

Old 12-04-2007, 12:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys. What's difference between the "regular" CD player and the CD player that comes with the "Premium" Alpine Audio System? I know the "Premium" system has more power, but is it from a separate amplifier or is it inside the deck?
the headunit is the same. the premium system has a tweeter in each rear door and a small sub box under the rear deck with houses a single 6.5" sub, with a passive"sub" and asmall amp as well. the additional sound it provides is minimal at best.

Is the premium deck made by Alpine? Who is the regular deck made by?
see above

I'd like to upgrade my stereo (deck and amplification) to the premium system. Only the deck and amplification though.
not really worth the time and effort. same headunit, costly to add the entire rear system and wiring. cheaper to just add an inline rca out and run the line to the trunk for your sub amp.

I'll be using MB Quart components in the front doors, and MB Quart Coaxials in the rear doors. To take the place of the two small subs that would normally be in the rear deck, I plan on running those two channels to a single dual voice coil JL Audio 12W6 (the old school one).
mb quart makes some fine speakers, and it is no secret that i am a big JL fan. if done correctly they can do some serious pounding. i had two 10w0 subs (150rms to each)that blew away countless 12" and bigger 2-sub systems. a correctly built box can make all the difference. since you are taking the time and effort to replace the mids and tweets you may as well get a 4 channel amp and power them correctly while you are at it. in the end i think you will be much happier.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the premium sound package in my x type. It's all alpine. 4 door speakers, tweeters in each of the doors, 2 8inch subs in the upperpart of the trunk and amp. also, i have a 6 cd changer in the trunk, and a tape player up in the dash along with the acm. im hoping to add that nav system soon though