Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

X-Type phone pairing issues - RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 11:55 PM
Received 10,594 Likes on 6,996 Posts
Default X-Type phone pairing issues - RESOLVED

My 1st time in this section.

Searched and found nothing so far.

My Dec 2009 X Type (Australian car), Vin J63537, has the Bluetooth, good.

Paired my Galaxy S10, SIMPLE.

The owners handbook claims 5 devices can be paired to the car, sweet.

Wife's S10, renamed so the car "thinks" its another phone, will NOT pair while mine is paired.
Unpair mine, hers connects instantly, mine will not. Swap the Unpair, and mine is connected, hers is not.

Unhappy wife, NOT a good thing.

The "chinese" looking symbols on the car display start at 5, then goes to 3, then 1, back to 4, etc etc, but the number of symbols appears to have little affect on the pairing, or does it?

Any clues what this OLD guy is doing wrong, or will the system only pair ONE device, hope not.

FORGOT, I do that now.

While the Unpaired phone/s are open, the "Jaguar" is being recognised as an "available device", so my brain tells me, the car is "seeing" the phones, and the phones are "seeing" the car, it just appears in will only pair to one device, bugga.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GGG; 02-21-2020 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Add "RESOLVED" to thread title
Old 02-19-2020, 02:48 AM
GGG
Received 16,869 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
My 1st time in this section. .....
Grant,

You're a long way from home in this section.

My 2007 XK was able to pair with up to 5 phones so I expected your later 2010 X-Type will be similar. According to the 2009 X-Type Owner's Handbook that I have, this is correct. However, it then goes on to add:

If a different Bluetooth mobile phone is to be used with the vehicle, it must be paired manually, as described previously. This phone will then become the highest priority phone, which the system will look for each time the starter switch is turned on.

This "highest priority" is something different and may be the reason for your difficulties. With my XK, whichever paired phone I had in my pocket at the time would automatically connect to the vehicle but it sounds like the X-Type doesn't have this same facility. Your tests of pairing/unpairing would seem to confirm this limitation. If correct, it makes being able to pair up to 5 phones a rather useless feature.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 03:14 AM

Thanks Graham,

Maaaaate., I had to double charge the GPS to get here, trust me.

Son arrived, Techno smart #rse.

He agrees with you, and his Kia (I know) takes up to 5 also. When he and his wife are in that car it recognises both their phones, and if one is using the car system, the other is just a cell phone, which makes sense even to me.

We added my cell to the Kia, and it recognised it no issues.

The X accepted his phone, ONLY after I unpaired my phone, so we are back to a misprint me thinks.

Thanks again.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:57 AM
GGG

I'm devastated to hear your son drives a Kia. You must be bitterly disappointed.

One last BT thought - the proximity of you first paired phone whilst you are attempting to connect with the second paired phone. Again from the 2009 Owner's Handbook:

CONNECTION STRATEGY
Whilst the vehicle has the capability to pair up to five mobile phones, only one phone can be connected at any one time. Once the starter switch is turned on, the vehicle will attempt to connect to the previously connected phone. If it is not available, it will attempt to connect to the next previously connected phone. The system will continue to search until a paired phone is connected.
Note: Searching for connection to the mobile phone will cease once a phone has been detected and connected to the system. If a new phone is paired and connected to the system, this will also cease the search as it will become the most recently connected phone.

The XK still detects and connects to my phone if I leave it in my office thirty yards and several thick stone walls away. If you get the first phone far enough way to definitely be out of bluetooth range and therefore "not available", it should connect to the second paired phone provided it is in range.

Graham

Grant Francis (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 05:15 AM

Thanks Graham,

Kia be what he has, and the S3 is stored for now, so not totally out of the will, yet.

That pairing, and bluetooth range makes SO much sense, and the ability to only actually "connect" one phone at a time, also makes sense.

Old 02-21-2020, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
I'm devastated to hear your son drives a Kia. You must be bitterly disappointed.

One last BT thought - the proximity of you first paired phone whilst you are attempting to connect with the second paired phone. Again from the 2009 Owner's Handbook:

CONNECTION STRATEGY
Whilst the vehicle has the capability to pair up to five mobile phones, only one phone can be connected at any one time. Once the starter switch is turned on, the vehicle will attempt to connect to the previously connected phone. If it is not available, it will attempt to connect to the next previously connected phone. The system will continue to search until a paired phone is connected.
Note: Searching for connection to the mobile phone will cease once a phone has been detected and connected to the system. If a new phone is paired and connected to the system, this will also cease the search as it will become the most recently connected phone.

The XK still detects and connects to my phone if I leave it in my office thirty yards and several thick stone walls away. If you get the first phone far enough way to definitely be out of bluetooth range and therefore "not available", it should connect to the second paired phone provided it is in range.

Graham
OK, many beers later and I have solved the problem, which is NOT a problem at all.

Graham nailed it.

With my phone recognised by the car, all others are showing as "available", but NOT able to be connected.

Make my phone "invisible" and the Wifes is connected instantly.

So the Dinosaur system can only use one phone at a time, Good on ya KIA, you won that one.

Something to look at when I look at the next Jag. Like USB Audio, not in the X Type LE, Bugga.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 02-21-2020 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Spelling still sucks.
GGG (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 03:31 AM
GGG

Grant,

Good to hear the successful result. I've added "RESOLVED" to your thread title to give hope to anyone else following the same tortuous path.

Graham

Grant Francis (02-21-2020)