Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

XK8 Deck Replacement, NAV & New Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

thanks skubeedoo (pronouncing it as I typed that)...lol, i get it!

Check out post 74, I give credit where credit is due, and even give you the links to where you can order both parts. Cheaper than having a custom one made, and probably more precise too in its size/dimensions/texture.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Veteran member

Here's my final result (ignore the missing trac/htd seats/fog buttons, they're being 'upgraded')

Here is the old (TOP) vs the new fascia/radio surround from the older XJ (BOTTOM)

Don't worry, the faceplate of the JVC has multiple tilt settings, so the recessed nature doesn't affect functionality.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

GREAT Job h20boy. I want to do something very similar on my 2002 XKR. The Garman GVN 53 with the XM/Traffic module seems to be the best option; I have located both on Amazon.com. I do not plan on replacing the stock radio at this time and would like to add the switch that you installed so that you could switch back to the OEM nav system; I like the clock when I'm not running the navigation system. The only other thing I want is a Bluetooth Hands Free system for my cell phone, with the ability to play media from my phone if possible. I'm still researching this but may go with a Motorola system (605?).
Besides the write-up in this thread, do you have any documentation, perhaps a pdf, on how you did all of this. I plan on having a shop do this for me; I know it is beyond my capabilities and would like to give them detailed instructions. If not, I'll just do what I can with what you have posted.
Thanks,

Mark

Old 08-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

h20boy, I found your write-ups, thanks. I have a couple of questions however:

1. What Kuda mount did you get. IO followed the linmk but did not the nice mount that you show in the photos?

2. I have not completely reviewed all of the documents but I scanned them and did not see anything about the switch you installed to allow you continued access to the OEM Nav unit. Could you point me to where this is? Thanks.

I plan on doing this same mod on my XKR in December (too busy until then).

Mark

Old 09-01-2011, 11:09 PM
Veteran member

the kuda mount is here, just ignore the black phone + cradle on top of their actual mount.

as for the PAC VCI-x, you can get it here from Amazon. Remember do not get the X2 version, its brightness level is MUCH lower than the X and you'll be very disappointed, not to mention unable to see it during the day. WhiteXKR did a very long, detailed writeup on his isntall with this very unit, in fact, I think he has PDF instructions on his thread. Do a search in the xk8-r subforum with him as the author, and you'll find it pretty quickly.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:29 AM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Where's the amp?

Is the amplifier in the stereo "head" or is it separate? If separate, where is it located?

Old 09-03-2011, 12:00 AM
Veteran member

if you have the premium system, amplifier is in the passenger side of the boot, behind the carpet, atop the CD changer (and navigation unit, if you have one)

The standard system is amplified by the head unit. You have the premium if you have speakers in all three places up front...door, door pillar, and dash.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by H20boy
Vinnie, I have something better, and less expensive. It will require you to purchase two (2) new pieces, but after that, its going to be simple.

First, you need a new console trim piece from an older model 94-97 XJ6, jaguar part number LJA6318AB, I purchased mine from our sponsor Gaudin Jaguar, for $63.52 shipped. This is a replacement trim piece that holds those auxillary button row (hazard, DSC, fog lights, heated seats) and the climate control part. Everything fits into it perfectly.

Second, It just so happens that Nexxia has made a single-DIN facia adapter that fits into this console trim piece EXACTLY, you may have to put a coat of similar black paint on both so they match, or not...they are pretty close to the same. I painted mine a bit. Anyway, $35 shipped from the UK, and now that contour and texture is no longer a worry.

I can't take credit for the discovery, however, another member gave me the tip when he did the same single-din project in his XK8. He started a thread on it also, but can't find it right now.

Anyway, here's a few pics of what the two look like.

The 94-97 console trim

The adapter that just wedges itself in there real tight

And together, they make a great combination.

I'm waiting on the garage temps to fall a bit before I spend a few hours on the exchange of my parts.

Would you happen to know what color black is needed to match the rest of the console?

Old 09-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Veteran member

Satin black is really close, but I actually have a flat that has less sheen I like a little better. Just try it 'original' first, if it doesn't match, then start with a flat black, and move up to a satin if that doesn't have enough shine to it.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Default Nexxia Facia

The Nexxia facia isn't $35, it's $55 delivered in US Dollars.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:33 PM
Veteran member

my invoice from Nexxia must be in pounds then...35 calculates to $55, apologize for the confusion

Old 09-19-2011, 07:54 AM

H20 Boy, no need to apologize, your info is invaluable, you've been incredibly giving on this forum; you sure saved me from incurring massive brain damage. Thanks for your help.

I ordered the face plate and am looking forward to getting started on my project. I'm going with a separate stereo amp and a mono amp in trunk to run the front door/dash speakers and the subs. The front speakers will have 3-way crossovers. I'll use the amp in the head unit, using the rear speakers output, to power the tweeters just above the subs.

It will be nice to get a quality tuner, the stock HK system is awful. It's amazing how bad "upgraded" speaker systems are; they use weak electronics and low performing drivers. Like they say, if you want anything done right, you have to do it yourself.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:48 PM
Veteran member

if you feel like it, take a few pics and describe your project, there are many ways to improve the stock system, yours being very different than mine. After a little tuning, I'm sure it will be very nice indeed. I'd like to see what you do. Good luck w/ it.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the Sound Advice

Many thanks to those sharing their thoughts in this thread. For my 2000 XK8 Conv, I opted for a custom installation of the Kenwood KDC X994 head unit with Sirrius Sat, IPod connection, Bluetooth and steering column-mounted microphone for iPhone calls. Powering it up, I replaced the trunk-mounted Sony CD Changer with a Kenwood 5-Channel Amp (right side of trunk), and recently added a custom install of the JL Audio 10w3 subwoofer to the left side of trunk. The worked was completed by Sound Sensations in Atlanta, and they have devoted a page on their website to my car.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:44 PM
Veteran member

pics of the newly added fascia piece from Nexxia w/ the older XJ6 climate control trim

BTW, I found the BEST match for the black color of the original trim, a good coating of satin black, then while it is still wet, a light dusting of the flat black camoflauge in the can...both picked up at O-Reily's auto parts. Its a dull grey, with a smooth feel.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:25 AM

Before I yank the stereo out, will it mess up the car's computer?

Old 10-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Veteran member

no, only the factory navigation will be affected, if you have it. Will only display the clock/keaper startup screen w/o the factory deck connected.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:00 AM

What did you physically mount your amps to in the trunk?

Old 10-24-2011, 10:24 AM

On a side note, anyone know how to fix a crack in the lacquer on the wood dash?

Old 10-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Veteran member

my installer secured a 1/2" piece of wood between the boot and the gas tank, that allowed everything to be mounted safely. They removed the carpet first, put the wood in there, then re-installed the carpet.

Quick Reply: XK8 Deck Replacement, NAV & New Subwoofer