Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

XK8 Deck Replacement, NAV & New Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hola H2OBoy, i hav an 03 xkr w/premium ice and would like to duplicate what you have done...can you send me a breakdown of what you did regarding just the new head unit and tying the garmin into the oem nav display...it would be GREATLY appreciated...my email is chris@rwassociatescrm.com...thx amigo!

Old 10-29-2012, 02:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks you H20boy for all of the great idea on getting a proper GPS unit workable for the XK8/XKR. I want to get the latest technology in-dash set up to replace the screen in my 2003 XKR. I want to have it all; talking turn by turn GPS, bluetooth for my Iphone, XM or Sirius Radio, back up camera and CD?DVD integrated all in one to fit inside the dash where the current GPS unit sits. Any ideas and does anyone know what kind of room you have after removing the factory GPS unit and are the switches on either side of the screen integral to the factory GPS. I was thinking a current Kenwood all-in-one modle. Will one fit in the space vacated by the factory GPS. If anyone has done this or anyone know of a thread to someone who has attempted this, I would like to know. I am pretty handy mechanically but know very little about radio's. That's why I'm thinking all in one where you can plug whatever you want into the back of the unit. And I would probably have someone install the unit.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I've seen two threads where someone replaced the entire screen with another touchscreen unit. Search for threads started by 'Reverend Sam' in the xk8-r area.

The buttons, no matter what you do, will not work for any replacement, no matter how hard you try. I was considering doing a mod to at least keep the on/off button working, but that would require much electrical modification with new parts just to get that function.

Now, others have moved that lower row of aux buttons to the glovebox, and used the entire space created with that vacancy to stuff a double-din unit into its place. The screen can now just be a really big analog clock.

Using WhiteXKR's custom wiring harness and PAC video switch, you can get XM, instant back-up camera activation, and a new GPS system on the screen...but it won't be touchscreen. You must use that remote that comes with the Garmin GVN 53. You also won't have DVD or bluetooth...unless you swap out the deck...so its either all, or a compromise to what you want.

I haven't personally messed with my setup for a couple years, or explored new options, as I am so very content to where it is now with sound quality and features. There may have been other developments in technology that would make integration easier and affordable, so keep asking around good shops in your area for ideas.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Beautiful radio and thanks again for the input I need to get started with my GPS transition/ update.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

With all you want to do, a modern headunit makes sense.

Here are my writeups on upgrades while retaining the OEM headunit though, if you are considering it:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...traffic-49241/

Attached Files
Old 11-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like what you have done here. I now have my car 2003 XKR with an aftermarket installer and we are very challenged with the idea of keeping the factory NAV. Is there any solution to allow this component to operate with another system other than the OEM. Now that my car is in pieces, like you mention yours was, when the keeping of the NAV became scraped. All is see is the costs climbing skyward. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

You can go to a Garmin GVN-53; it is designed to work with the OEM screen, thus preserving to OEM look of the car, while adding more modern options. Beyond that, I don't know of any other options. What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Mark

The following users liked this post:
RKD8000 (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 02:27 PM

I am replacing the OEM head unit with a Sony 4000 BT, or I thought I was, but it will not cooperate with the factory NAV, which I was hoping to keep operational and integrate with this new head unit. No such success. So now I am looking at an entertainment unit that does it all via touch screen and lose having anything in the headunit area (except maybe add in some gauges), similar to what is found here. They even match the wood veneer.

Design XKR

I like this, a touch screen that operates it all. Ideally keeping the factory speakers. Might save a dollar somewhere along the line. Thoughts.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

That was the way I wanted to go but I don't live in the UK, it's beyond my ability, and I couldn't find anyone who do the work for me. You may have more luck in LA. Keep us posted on how you make out.

Mark

Old 11-12-2012, 03:44 PM

I (obviously) do not live in the UK either. I have my car with a local installer that does fabrication. I am not sure if he is up to this challenge, but I think he might be into it. I love what DESIGNXKR has done and now I hope to somehow replicate. My installer may not do the gauge installation, but I am hopeful we can get the rest of it done. Such a pain. I tried telling my guy that I was bringing him a challenge, that I had done quite a bit of research and this may not be easy for them to tackle. He boadted about their abilities and other cars they had done, such as new AMG Mercedes, Lambo, etc., etc. He professed they could do it in two days and now reality has hit them, as it has been about five days and we are no closer, only now my cars ICE guts are hanging out. I provided to the installer the detailed schematics of the entire car, and most specifically the entertainment and NAV systems. We shall see.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:45 PM

I wote DESIGNXKR and asked them to consult with us, so we might replicate their results, since I am not bringing them the vehicle, all things considered. I am sure they understand geography plays a role. I have yet to receive a response from them. Standby. :-)

Old 11-13-2012, 04:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Here are my writeups on upgrades while retaining the OEM headunit
Sure can
Check my nav tread here
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...hscreen-79908/

and here

Nav Upgrade 04 JXR x350, OEM Touchscreen

OEM Touchscreen with replacement NAV computer running Igo Primo
Reverse and side cameras
WDTV player (1tb for movies)
512gb sdd connected to nav for music
Android phone with onscreen touch control

I also have 2 extra AV sources in the back and one free up front.
No external switches, source control switching is done via the touchscreen.
The touch interface is programmed to intercept gestures when recieved it outputs either IR codes (for the wdtv) or control signals for the video interface switch
All programmed via usb

Rear audio unit has been removed in preparation for a new screen going in where the rear audio panel was

Cheers
34by151

Last edited by 34by151; 11-13-2012 at 04:20 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by mjlaris
That was the way I wanted to go but I don't live in the UK, it's beyond my ability, and I couldn't find anyone who do the work for me. You may have more luck in LA. Keep us posted on how you make out.

Mark
DESIGNXKR has not responded to me about their designs which are amazing. Therefore I am moving forward with my 2003 XKR...

I just met with my custom installer and here is our plan as I expect it.

Cost, just under $1K out the door installed.

New SONY 4000BT head unit installed to appear factory.

Steering will controls remain active.

Factory NAV remains active and audible, uses OEM amp, aftermarket speakers (hidden).

To achieve factory NAV audible operation, it gets it own under-dash speakers. Hidden from view. The OEM Nav has a mute wire so the new stereo mutes when the NAV talks. I understand when the NAV talks under the new conditions this may mute a phone call for a few seconds if on a call and using the NAV.

OEM head unit mounted securely and discreetly (hidden) in trunk, but accessible, NAV volume set, unit turned off. This allows retention of the OEM NAV, for now. It will be easy change settings for the OEM NAV and also to move onto to a NAV upgrade later. Being in LA, the urgency to change the NAV is not a prevalent as it might be in other geographic locations. I have found the OEM NAV to be fine in nearly every instance to date.

We were able to separate the OEM NAV and get it to operate without the OEM head unit connected, but not with sound, that is why the old head unit and OEM amp remain in the vehicle, but hidden away. It will operate independent of the new system.

Hands free phone, via Bluetooth through the system.

Power Telescopic OEM Antenna is only up and down with use of AM/FM.

Power telescopic OEM Antenna DOWN with SAT RADIO, CD, USB, AUX, or NAV.

SiriusXM Sat radio installed. SAT RADIO data delivered to the new head-unit, as it is SiriusXM ready.

New Primary amp mounted on the OEM existing equipment rack, w/crossover.

Trunk matching panel to cover all of the OEM and new gear.

Small amp for OEM sub-woofer, mounted near sub.

Sub can be controlled independently on from the new head unit.

Front and back fade works within the car, under the planned setup.

Upgrading other components from this point will be pretty easily done, be it new speakers (which will probably come next) or new navigation at some point.

All buttoned up and pretty!

If all goes according to plan, I should receive the vehicle back tomorrow evening, with new jams ready to rock. More technical details and photos to come. Wish me luck...

Last edited by RKD8000; 11-13-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:18 AM
Veteran member

^ don't forget to follow up with some pics, sounds like you have yourself a good plan! Mounting the OEM head unit in the trunk was an option given to me also, but I didn't want to sacrifce any more space back there. Running how many wires from the front to the rear to keep it, and the NAV alive? I do miss my clock though.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by RKD8000
DESIGNXKR has not responded to me about their designs which are amazing. Therefore I am moving forward with my 2003 XKR...

I just met with my custom installer and here is our plan as I expect it.

Cost, just under $1K out the door installed.

New SONY 4000BT head unit installed to appear factory.

Steering will controls remain active.

Factory NAV remains active and audible, uses OEM amp, aftermarket speakers (hidden).

To achieve factory NAV audible operation, it gets it own under-dash speakers. Hidden from view. The OEM Nav has a mute wire so the new stereo mutes when the NAV talks. I understand when the NAV talks under the new conditions this may mute a phone call for a few seconds if on a call and using the NAV.

OEM head unit mounted securely and discreetly (hidden) in trunk, but accessible, NAV volume set, unit turned off. This allows retention of the OEM NAV, for now. It will be easy change settings for the OEM NAV and also to move onto to a NAV upgrade later. Being in LA, the urgency to change the NAV is not a prevalent as it might be in other geographic locations. I have found the OEM NAV to be fine in nearly every instance to date.

We were able to separate the OEM NAV and get it to operate without the OEM head unit connected, but not with sound, that is why the old head unit and OEM amp remain in the vehicle, but hidden away. It will operate independent of the new system.

Hands free phone, via Bluetooth through the system.

Power Telescopic OEM Antenna is only up and down with use of AM/FM.

Power telescopic OEM Antenna DOWN with SAT RADIO, CD, USB, AUX, or NAV.

SiriusXM Sat radio installed. SAT RADIO data delivered to the new head-unit, as it is SiriusXM ready.

New Primary amp mounted on the OEM existing equipment rack, w/crossover.

Trunk matching panel to cover all of the OEM and new gear.

Small amp for OEM sub-woofer, mounted near sub.

Sub can be controlled independently on from the new head unit.

Front and back fade works within the car, under the planned setup.

Upgrading other components from this point will be pretty easily done, be it new speakers (which will probably come next) or new navigation at some point.

All buttoned up and pretty!

If all goes according to plan, I should receive the vehicle back tomorrow evening, with new jams ready to rock. More technical details and photos to come. Wish me luck...
Well I finally got my XKR back from the stereo installer and pretty much achieved it all, at least all I wanted to get done this time.

Since I wanted to keep the factory NAV and do all the other stuff listed above it was quite challenging. I had to choose a different head unit than I originally had chosen.

Went with Kenwood KDC-BT852HD. Better than the Sony I had picked. Bluetooth, SiriusXM, Pandora, HD Radio, Integrated phone support, USB, Auxiliary, AM/FM, CD, and I love the fact that if I listen to anything other than the radio my antenna stays down!

Had to keep the factory amp connected to the old head unit for the factory nav to keep working as it ever did knobs and all, which talks through separate under dash hidden speakers and soft-mutes the new headunit when it talks. Keeping the factory NAV was a non-issue for me living in LA, the maps are fine. If it lets me down somewhere, I always got NAV in my Blackberry. Getting it all working was tricky. I was present off and on throughout the work. Had to guide them in some measure.

All steering wheel controls work, including phone too. Added two new amps for the audio side. One for the overall system and one for the sub.

I am 99% satisfied, I think I may change the fabricated suede covered piece the new head unit pops through to a plastic piece the fabricator showed me he had made. Still all in all, pretty slick.

SEE SOME PHOTOS OF THE INSTALLATION HERE:
Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - RKD8000's Album: 2003XKR AFTERMARKET STEREO SYSTEM

Last edited by RKD8000; 11-22-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by H20boy
^ don't forget to follow up with some pics, sounds like you have yourself a good plan! Mounting the OEM head unit in the trunk was an option given to me also, but I didn't want to sacrifce any more space back there. Running how many wires from the front to the rear to keep it, and the NAV alive? I do miss my clock though.
H20boy and whomever... Go see pics of the install here. You can read about the install in my post above.

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - RKD8000's Album: 2003XKR AFTERMARKET STEREO SYSTEM

Old 11-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Veteran member

That's a very clean install, and one of a small few that have saved the factory nav in the process of updating everything else. Nice job!

I see you're boasting about that fine clock you retained by snapping that pic.

RKD8000 (11-24-2012)
Old 12-29-2012, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by H20boy
Not a single comment, everyone must not have a subscription to this area.

Looking back at these pics, I really hate the J A G U A R stickers... off they come!
Having enjoyed reading this article.I am interested to know if my 2002 XKR satnav would display the clock without a nav disc inserted ,once for about 5 seconds it displayed the clock.but as I do not have a disk and have no knowledge of how the unit works I would like to know....currently I run an Alpine TV tuner through the original satnav screen .

Old 12-30-2012, 01:20 AM
Veteran member

Its been a few years, but I am pretty sure a disc must be in the player, otherwise, you'll get a constant 'ERROR - Please Insert Disc' message on the screen when on.

stelious (12-30-2012)
Old 09-23-2013, 08:03 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by skubeedoo
By the way, the Kicker subs sound amazingly good for their size. Now my bass-less jag has the low end it needs. Just use a high power amp, cross it low and punch it hard. They can handle a lot of power for 6.5" subs.
hi
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036MOQAE

The HK "super" sound system jag installed sucks. But then again, most car manufacturers and their great sound systems suck. The tweeters alone in the doors are worthless.

I installed Polk tweeters over the front of the tweeter "plates"

Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB1001 1-Inch Silk/Polymer Composite Dome Tweeters (Pair, Black): Car Electronics

For the mid-ranges in the dash, that was a bit tricky, I used this speaker:

Tang Band W2-1811S 2" Neodymium Poly Full Range Driver 264-886

Then used a crossover for the mid-range frequencies. Even though the speaker is rated at 20w max, realize that it's the bass that carries most of the power, mid-ranges see much less wattage. You can also use an inline bass blocker like this (select the frequencies you want):

Bass Stopper 2.8 kHz/1.4 kHz 266-220

I hope this helps. It took me forever to find a speaker that would fit in the dash for the mid-range. My car's speakers in the dash were gone, the cone surrounds were deteriorated. I live in the desert and the heat fried them. But anywhere you live, they still get old fast from the heat on the dash from the sun.

The small 2" full range above, I used a pair of dikes to snip off the corners where they mount, put a squirt of hot glue from a glue gun, and fastened it that way. Quick and easy. They really sound nice.

For the woofers in the doors, I used the woofers from this Kenwood set:
Amazon.com: Kenwood Kfc-P709Ps 6.5-Inch Performance Series Component Speaker System: Car Electronics

They sound fantastic, very rich bass and can handle quite a bit of power. The nice thing about this set is you can take the tweeters and replace the tweeters in the rear above the subs. The rear tweeters are a pain to replace if you do it the conventional way. I took a screwdriver and gouged out the old cone tweeters basically to make room to 'push' the new tweeter into the open space. I used a glue gun to secure them, drilled a hole in the sub cabinet to run the wire that goes to the old tweeter, through the sub cabinet and solder the connections to the new tweeter. I put the crossover supplied with the tweeter inside the sub cabinet and used some hot glue to secure it to the sub cabinet wall so it wouldn't rattle.

Great info how does it sound compared to the Alpine system in jaguar

Last edited by The_Ikon; 09-23-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Quick Reply: XK8 Deck Replacement, NAV & New Subwoofer