Old 11-13-2013, 01:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, from the Sunny South coast.
[/IMG]

Old 11-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts
Default Greetings from newbie on mid north coast, NSW

Hello all. I am green with envy at the vision of all those delicious cats of fellow forum members, now that my garage is empty. Working hard to change that.

As a newbie, have I posted this correctly Dave? Seems a long time between new arrivals? I posted a more detailed (and nostalgic) intro in the recommended New Members forum.

Given that all my Jag experiences, dating back to the sixties, are presently ones of sad departure, I'll cheer myself up with sharing that when it comes to tyres, my 4WD Ford tractor eats any of my past Jags. They are 21x32 making them about shoulder height, fat as a pregnant elephant, and each is filled with over half a ton of water based ballast. Fitted with wheel weights, each weighs much the same as an entire S1 E-Type!

See, I knew you would want to know that!
Enough already!!!

We are on the move from farm back into civilization (downsizing, with neighbours replacing my beloved 4bay shed), so my input may be a bit spotty at times. Again, a big "hello" to everyone contributing to this forum and the more technical model specific ones. Brilliant!

Old 11-21-2013, 11:05 PM
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Ken, and thanks for the introduction. I think with the move back to civilisation the only thing left to do is resume your Jaguar/Daimler ownership!

Dave

Old 11-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy 350 & TH400 help needed

Gday guys,
I have a 1970 series 1 XJ6 running a Chevy 350 & TH400, problem is my speedo bounces all over the place & my tach is not reading at all.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
cheers

Old 11-26-2013, 02:20 AM

dcburton78,

Sounds like a worn gear in your speedo drive based on a similar experience I had in a Fiat 124. I'd recommend posting in the relevant XJ section - although some don't like them, there are a lot of chev conversions out there!

Dave

The following users liked this post:
dcburton78 (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 04:38 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A bouncing speedo is either a worn gear/s or a frayed inner speedo cable. When it frays the small broken wires catch on the inside of the outer causing it to wind up and then let go and spring around getting the "bounce". The outer cable can wear too getting a kink in it causing the same thing.
A worn gear once the teeth get low start slipping causing the bounce until they no longer get contact any more loosing the speedo altogether. There is a worm gear on the output shalf and a standed type on the cable. On the th400 they are colour coded, a different colour meens different number of teeth, match the colour of the new ones with the old ones. Best to replace both at the same time. Any autotrans workshop will probably still have them.
To check the gears, find where the speedo goes into the rear of the trans, undo the bolt holding it in, above the cable usually. Pull the cable out, the normal type of gear should come out with it, if not just stick you finger in the hole and it will be just in there. Looking at it will tell you if it's worn or not. To check the worm gear you can use a torch and look in the hole or use your finger to feel it. It should be square/flat across the top, dished it's worn.
If both of those are good then it's the cable. You can test it with a drill on a very slow speed attached to the cable to see if it still bounces.
Only way to see if it's the inner or outer is to check the length of the outer for wear.

Hope this helps,
Valguard

dcburton78 (11-27-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 03:53 AM

Thanks Valguard,
I'l check it out on my next days off.
Cheers

Old 11-27-2013, 04:34 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No prob, I used to work in a autotrans work shop back in the early '90s. Did many speedo repairs.

dcburton78 (11-28-2013)
Old 11-28-2013, 05:15 AM

G'day Guys,
my name is Deano, i have posted within the forum a few times now but as a new member i am still finding my way around the site & keep seeing some great posts.
I very recently found myself a mistress in the form of a 1970 XJ6 series 1, Her name is Candy & has great sex appeal about her. Candy also has a bit of a wild streak hidden within that gives her a seductive growl.
I live in Orange NSW & regularly travel across the blue mountains down to Sydney & look forward to hitting the open road with her

Old 12-07-2013, 07:19 PM

Welcome Deano,

As a resident of the Blue Mountains I'll keep my eyes peeled for a white series 1 making its way up and down the highway!

Dave

Old 12-08-2013, 05:04 AM

Cheers dstary,
you may even already know Candy as i purchased her from a gent in Springwood.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:18 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi, about 25 years ago I owned an XJ6, and am to take delivery of a new F type, March, I hope. I had a British Racing Green convertible Mustang when I lived in the US, so am really looking forward to combining the convertible and Jag experiences!

Old 01-15-2014, 05:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Adelaide saying hi

Sorry I never saw this either when I first posted maybe you should stick this page up top. Any how Im Garth live in Adelaide I have just bought a 84 H.E. sovereign this is my first Jag after wanting one for years

Old 01-21-2014, 05:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all,

Bought my first jag a couple of months ago, 1995 XJR, black on black,

I'm from Brisbane, QLD. looking forward to playing with and enjoying the old girl, and possibly cruising with other jag lovers

Old 02-25-2014, 08:08 AM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi all
Robert from Port Pirie South Australia
Just what we need, localized information for events, repairers, swap meets and the likes.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:33 AM

don't tell me I am a lone wolf here in South Australia??
Makes it hard for meets if I am the only one

Old 02-28-2014, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Nope,they are a few forum members from crow country that I know of. If you're interested in 'meets' maybe the jaguar car club (australia) could be worth looking at.

I'm yet to meet another forum member Robert,but considering I live in the wilderness that's understandable. Pop in for a cuppa next time you're passing through!

Old 02-28-2014, 10:39 PM

Thanks for the welcome Neil,
Might just do that.... next time we're passing through.
I spent most of my youth in Vic.... either schooling in Melbourne or working in Mildura.
My father retired in a town called Birchip... so spent a little time there too.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Sorry Robert,didn't realise you were a new member. I would have made the 'welcome' part a bit warmer..

Haven't been to Mildura for 40 or more years,time to reacquaint there. Last time I was in Birchip (really that is the middle of nowhere land) was while at the Quambatook Tractor Pull..Never been to Port Pirie either. Just seem to have everything right here,Moutains,Rivers and the great Lakes and great folk.(fires and floods)

If Port Pirie is like where I live you wouldn't be in the heart of Jaguar Owners land. I think the other 'local' jag is likely an XJ40 that I see every few months,but they might have a holiday house in the area too.

Best of luck Robert and looking forward to your passing though...just a little SthWest of Mt Little Dick. (not named by me)

Old 03-01-2014, 04:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Hi Robert, how right and very perceptive you are in your post in the adjacent thread on "Jaguar parts aplenty on Oz eBay"...

My current dilemma is less about the car, and more about a friendship. Clarke has offered to check out the car for me, and together, we may come up with a strategy to buy it on my wife's behalf ... Clarke's time; my money; and my wife Chris as the beneficiary ... she after all was the talented 180+kph driver of the big V12 efi Daimler VanDen Plas I showcased in an earlier thread (Sunraysia).

But your cat must rank as one of life's great bargains ... $1200 for a Jaguar of style, presence, grace, space, pace (need I go on, or do you get the idea I'm fascinated with the Jag classics). It goes without saying that she will have foibles and glitches but, as you say, each task you undertake and put right, adds to the prestige and satisfaction. I recall a mate's Mk7C, way back in 1969 when I had just rebuilt the Mk1 in my avatar - what an inspiration that big burgundy monster was, as I tackled one job after another on our "grey ghost".

I post my replies here for a number of reasons:
  1. you speak of Mildura and NW Vic, and I spent many years there in 70s and 80s along with our many Jaguars. If you ever saw a white streak beyond Merbein heading towards Renmark, it was probably our E-Type. If a black streak, it was perhaps Grant or his wife in an equally wickedly fast XJS. See what you missed while living in Sunraysia?
  2. you are surrounded by several fellow SA members - Grant Francis, Gath or Garth (xj12s3) and several others - suggest you PM Grant who is a great font of knowledge, doesn't bite, but despite his medication, is quite deranged about V12 Jaguars;
  3. as a rescuer of a classic Jaguar of immense national and international importance, your name has been entered in the sacred register of nice people ... there to join others of impeccable taste and bold character.
Best wishes, Robert,
Ken

Quick Reply: Australia & New Zealand Members - Welcome List