Australia & New Zealand Members - Welcome List

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 05:23 AM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

hahahaha Thanks Ken for all the nice things you had to say....
Where do I start?? lol
I am proud to own my little lady, she has been a bounty I have chased for many years, as mentioned before, could never quite afford them and when I could was not able to find one.
But I have every intention of restoring her to her former glory and show her all the love and respect a lady of such charm and elegance deserves....
Personally I would love to get her into showroom condition again, and then perhaps enter into car shows.... hence the reason I want to keep her as tock and original as possible.
She has the looks, personality and charm that deserves to be on display.

As for other crow eater out there.... I do hope to eventually chat with them and exchange thoughts and maybe even best locations for parts etc.... locally.

I lived in Mildura for many years, mostly in Pine Ave. but also lived in Irymple for a short time...... I also lived way out past 20th street for a short time lol.

I probably did see and admire your classics from afar, and probably drooled into my shoes at the prospects of having one, one day.

all the best to you and Christine.... maybe we will run into each other on the black stuff some time

Old 03-01-2014, 05:29 AM

Thanks Neil,
I haven't been to Mildura for many years now myself, Possibly 20 or so.
And the last time I was in Birchip was for my father's funeral, around 14 years ago now I think.
So it has been awhile since even crossing the eastern border.
But I have a new Australian wife, and I am planning on doing a little touring to show her a little of our great country, and the country is so much more beautiful that the cities or even suburban areas.
Port Pirie for the most part is a nice quiet little town, far enough away from the hustle and bustle of city life, but still only a 2 hour drive from Adelaide. I don't see too many Jags up this way tho.
I know of only one other and that belongs to a young friend of mine...... extremely nice..... somewhat newer than mine and all of 12 cylinders under the hood hehehe.

Anyways Neil, nice chatting with you and will probably run into you quite a bit in the forums
Take care

The following users liked this post:
Gippsland (03-02-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by red_101au
... I have every intention of restoring her to her former glory .... hence the reason I want to keep her as stock and original as possible.
I lived in Mildura for many years, mostly in Pine Ave. but also lived in Irymple for a short time...... I also lived way out past 20th street for a short time lol ... maybe we will run into each other on the black stuff some time
Good on you Robert. We must have bumped in Mildura, as you mentioned to Neil that you left about 20 years ago. We lived off 9th, then in 15th before purchasing fruit blocks in '79 and moving out to Red Cliffs. You mentioned past 20th, and Chris has just reminded me that for several years, I was the speedway announcer out at Timmis Raceway, past the aerodrome. Small world, eh?

I loved your description of bringing the Jag back to original presentation. The attached is one of our original 60s S-Types after it had a head on handshake with an Australia Post van. Someone's bingle was my bingo! ... once again, I could afford another Jag project. I recall it took a week of work on "the rack" just to pull the front engine bay and wings back into alignment. Amazingly, the bonnet had popped in the accident and was almost undamaged. I recall Chris' efforts in cutting and fitting a new headlining, and then sun visors. After that, it was nothing more than a hell of a lot of constant work to rebuild the entire engine, drive train, suspension and brakes, before we took it to its new home in NSW. But wow ... did that Signal Red and chrome sparkle in the sunlight.

And greetings to you also Neil. I think you may find that Foibles and a few others hail from Melbourne and beyond. I have a few friends around Traralgon and Fish Creek but can't point to any Jags in your heartland. I guess that makes meeting up here all the more enjoyable.

Best wishes fellas,
Ken

Attached Thumbnails Australia & New Zealand Members - Welcome List-s10020.jpg  
Gippsland (03-02-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 09:01 AM

G'day again Ken,
It is indeed a small world..... seems so many of us were all in and around the same area at round the same time too.
You may even know the old place in Pine street that I used to live in,, most people there did..... (the old morgue) still had the slab in the back room and all lol

When I was living out past 20th street, it was a rented place of course, but it was stables and race horse breeders who owned the place.
They had an absolutely gorgeous Ford Custom... straight 8 sitting rotting away in the paddock.......
I wanted so bad to buy that from them, but they wouldn't sell lol.

You spoke of Redcliffs.... My mother lived there for awhile..... so yes I visited there quite often too.

I must say.... that is an amazing and beautiful car, how could you ever bare to part with something like that?
Believe it or not I had a mate who had one years and years ago, he used to rally it of all things..... occasionally I would navigate and co-drive......
but I still had my little Datto 1600 then as my rally car.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by red_101au
I must say.... that is an amazing and beautiful car, how could you ever bare to part with something like that?
Ah Robert, that's the question eh? Why sell something into which you have invested all that time and perspiration. In my case, profit or even the thought of selling, would offer me so little motivation, I wouldn't bother to start. But, after the lustre of some special achievement with a project, another always seems to beckon. I think at the time, early 80s, running both the V12 Daimler VDP and the E-Type, this very beautiful S-Type was the one to go to help finance new ventures. It went to a family that loved it as much as I ... the youngish man had helped me with a few of the final restoration jobs, and I was impressed with his attention to detail and the support of his Dad, who had pined for a Jaguar for years. So, after a couple of years on the show circuit, it went to a great home.

Good to hear of your Sunraysia experiences Robert, but best wishes for life in Port P - a lovely area with water at your feet and only a hop,step and jump from the beautiful Clare Valley. As you say, with only a 2hr drive to the big smoke, you can still enjoy relaxed country living. Friends always found it amusing that we in Sunraysia, the Mallee, as well as much of NW Vic, and of course the Wentworth to Broken Hill mob in western NSW, all regarded Adelaide as "our" capital city.

Touring for us at present is restricted to shorter stuff, but hey, we may get a chance to cross paths. At least, I'll know the car to wave to ... lol

Best wishes,
Ken

Old 03-01-2014, 05:28 PM

I agree.
I couldn't imagine spending all that time, effort and money on restoring such a classic car and then just selling it for sheer profit.
Something like that is done for the love and appreciation of the vehicle and the care taken to bring her back from almost extinction.

Personally I do understand that after a job is completed, and you have the satisfaction of knowing there really is nothing more to do, you then want to move onto another project.
This for the average Joe such as myself does sometimes require sacrifice to get the funds for the next project.... ie: selling the pride and joy to someone who will love and appreciate it and the time taken to restore it.

Personally I would love to be able to afford to have a garage with one of each model totally restored....... but alas, I as most everyone else am not some fancy playboy millionaire or famous actor who can afford to do this kind of thing lol

I will be happy at this time just to get my cat looking and performing like new again, to have the satisfaction of driving her around and seeing all the admiring looks from others as we cruise past.

Speaking of restoring, I have been doing a little research and seems I have it all *** about face.....
I was under the impression that Daimler was to Jag as Bentley is to Rolls Royce.....
as in the slightly cheaper alternative, but it seems the Daimlers were the top of the range in luxury, not the Jag.

Whilst looking for parts I came across some of the Vanden Plas interiors, and they are soooo much more luxurious than my standard range Jag.....

I am toying with the idea of using Vanden Plas interior if I can find some withing a decent price range....

I love the look of the single rear seats along with the aircraft style drop down tray in the back of the front seats and the beading and stitching of the interior is fantastic...

anyway... we will see what happens there.....

Old 03-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All
Glenn From Bathurst NSW 1975 & 1980 xjs both pre-HE

Old 03-25-2014, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

G'Day Glenn.
There's a good road just where you are for having a drive,what's the V12 like down conrod?
Seriously looking at buying an XJS. Been saying for months on this forum how much I like them and appears I have talked myself into it.
There seems to be a few choices on Gumtree ATM.

Any tips on the best model to look at and what not to look at? There seems like a nice one in Adelaide that has 15K spent on it going for $12ish.
Be interested in your thoughts,
Neil

Old 03-26-2014, 03:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G'day Glenn,
Welcome!!!
Im not too far from you at all, (Orange) I got my old girl out for a drive last week & cruised on over your way for a ride around the mountain & some ice cream at Annies

Old 03-26-2014, 05:42 AM
Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Jaguar XJS HE Coupe 1985 | eBay

check this one...the 80's models had the later more fuel efficient v12. Looks a good one.

The following 2 users liked this post by mickvic:
Gippsland (03-27-2014), xjs12g (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 05:56 PM

Hi Neil
The whole track is great to drive around at either regulation or race speed. I am a member of the local car club and have raced around Mt Panorama on many occasions, gets the hair on the back of your neck standing thats for sure.

The best advise I can give you in purchasing a XJS is the later the model the better. less maintenance. The one thing I would do in the purchase process is leave enough money to convert it form auto transmission to manual, that is when the XJS comes alive. Happy to talk more if required
Regards Glenn

Gippsland (03-31-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the welcome. The trip around Mt Panorama is always great fun.
Regards Glenn

Old 04-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Greetings,
Tom from Windsor Sydney, i have a 1975 xj6 S2 Signal Red with original drive line but not a restore, interior etc our own flavour. Sort-of retired mechanic, past few years i've made a project of reproducing jaguar & triumph wiring schematics in colour with index & grids, range listed below, just send me a PM if you want a sample, i can do an extract or full file.
If your in Sydney & want to check out a car show, the OLD CAR SOCIAL CLUB has it's 10 year show this Sunday 6th at Flower Power Newbridge Rd Moorebank... I'll have Big red there..............Tom

:Mark 1 & 2 1955 to 1967
:Mark X , 420, S type (1960's) combined.
:E Tye XKE series 1-2-3 6 cyl/ 1961-72
:E Type XKE series 3 V12
:XK 120-140-150
:Jaguar/ Daimler XJ6 series 1-2-3, 2.8/3.4/4.2 litre 1968-sept/86
:Jaguar/ Daimler XJ6 series 3, 4.2 litre Oct/86-87
:Jaguar/ Daimler XJ6 series 3, V12 87-88
:Jaguar XJ12, XJS and Sovereign; Daimler Double Six (72 - 88) up to F
:Triumph TR 250 to TR6 to 1976
available on request
Jaguar XJ6 and Sovereign (Oct 86 - Sept 94) D to M

Old 04-09-2014, 06:09 AM
Smile

Hi All
Gary here from far too sunny Perth, I have mainly owned Daimlers but my current one is a one owner 1990 series 3 V12 sovereign, gunmetal grey paint with saville grey interior.
This is one of last V12 run delivered to Australia with all the goodies including abs brakes, a lovely car to drive and a perfect body , no rust, previous owner had front and rear screens out and replaced the rubbers just to make sure.
Look forward to having a chat with you all.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Hello Gary,and welcome from me on the complete other side of the Island. We would have to be as far apart as possible..far east corner of Vic. Haven't been across the Nullabor for over 40 years. (was gravel then)

I hope you get as much out of this forum as I have,a wealth of information to be found here.

You may have answered something that I have been trying to find out. What year were the last V12s delivered here. From what I can see '94 (XJS) was the last of them in the UK.

Haven't seen anything later than 1990 here though.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:32 AM

Hi Neil
Thanks for the welcome, I am originally from the western suburbs of Melbourne and know the gippsland area well spent many weekends at Tarwin Lower just past Inverloch.
As far asI know 1990 was the last shipment of v12s to Australia and I believe it was only four. This info came to me secondhand so it maybe incorrect, but either way it would not have been many by this time the Mercedes and BMW were the more attractive buys for the prestige car buyers.
I look forward to the forum as I also have quite a bit of knowledge on Jaguars and Daimlers which I am happy to share.

Gippsland (05-26-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G'day all,
Kev from Mackay QLD. New member. 1977 XJS Coupe 5.3 finishing restore to registerable stage so I can enjoy. Good to see an Aussie/NZ area to meet in

Cheers
Kev

Old 04-26-2014, 01:56 AM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey guys,

Been here a while, never posted a hello....

As the pic shows, I have a 2003 s-type, lots of k's, always something to fix but that's why I like it. It is my wet weather plan for canberra comuting, normally being on a big Honda. Unusually for canberra, I'm a public servant (sarc) so I have plenty of time to unbolt bits, fix and re-attach.

I would call myself a competent mechanic, only missing a hoist...

As a confirmed 'shiny kit syndrome' sufferer, I have most of the toys I need. Happy to help any locals....

Cheers,

Old 05-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default WA Club meet

Hi,

Rob from Perth. Bought a 2010 XKR last month.
Owned various XJSs in England, came over to Aus to 2005.

(Bought Ford F6 Typhoon and HSV Grange in that time, but went back to Jaguar when the local manufacturers threw the towel in...)

The JaguarCarClubofWA meets this coming Wednesday. I've never been before, but thought I'd give it a go - does anyone already go? (or want to come?!)

Cheers,

Rob

Last edited by RobB; 05-10-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:32 AM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default XJS purchase

Originally Posted by Gippsland
G'Day Glenn.
There's a good road just where you are for having a drive,what's the V12 like down conrod?
Seriously looking at buying an XJS. Been saying for months on this forum how much I like them and appears I have talked myself into it.
There seems to be a few choices on Gumtree ATM.

Any tips on the best model to look at and what not to look at? There seems like a nice one in Adelaide that has 15K spent on it going for $12ish.
Be interested in your thoughts,
Neil

Hi Neil,
I'm no mechanical expert, but love the XJS. If you're still deciding, I've owned 3.6, 4.0, 5.3 and 6.0 XJS & RSs, coupe, cab and convertible.. Two of which I (had) converted to manual, one of then had a huge amount of work done inside and out.
If you can say what you want from the car, I'd be happy to offer my 2c - they all have their strengths!..

Cheers,

Rob

Gippsland (05-26-2014)

Quick Reply: Australia & New Zealand Members - Welcome List