Jag Imports from the UK

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 03:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jag Imports from the UK

Hi guys,
Ive noticed a couple of members discussing the import of Jags into NZ and Aus. Where does one start where this is concerned. I made preliminary inquiries last year and was told i could only import classic cars. I'm very interested in importing a newer cat.
I currently drive a s type r 2003 and its starting to get a little old.

regards
Joe

Old 05-14-2012, 07:30 AM
Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

From what I understand, to import a post-1989 vehicle that isn't on the SEVS or RAWS lists is basically impossible unless you are a returning citizen or immigrating to Australia. Currently the only Jaguar vehicle on one of those other lists is the XJ220.

For private import, you need to have owned and used the vehicle continuously overseas for at least 12 months before you are eligible to import it.

So basically as I understand it you have two options.
1. If you currently live here, then either you need to move overseas for 12+ months
or
2. find a good friend who is currently overseas and is coming back in a year or two and give them the money to buy you a car.

The car would need to be purchased, registered & maintained in the name of the overseas person and they would need to have use of it for over 12 months. Dept of Infrastructure will want to see proof of ownership, MOT & insurance/maintenance documentation supporting the application.

Applicants can only bring in one vehicle every 5 years.
As far as I know there is no restriction on sale of the vehicle once it arrives here.

There is plenty of documentation on the infrastructure.gov.au website.

I am using a company called Cargo Online to relocate mine and they have been very helpful so far. My XKR is booked on a boat early next month. Then the fun of getting it registered starts.

Hope that helps (although it probably isn't what you wanted to hear).
Rob.

The following 2 users liked this post by champir:
GGG (11-16-2012), joebit (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 07:31 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi.
I have just imported a 2006 XKR from UK to NZ. Over here vehicles need to meet euro 4 standards. This normally means they have to be 2006 or newer...as a rule of thumb The law changed here recently. You no longer have to own the vehicle previously. Classic/left hand drive (did one of these last year) have different regs.
I have no idea how it works in Aus, can't be that different....can it?
I would look on you govt www for anything relating to importing vehicles. They normally list testing station ph numbers. Just give them a call. I called the AA and asked them...very helpfull!
Good luck with it. This is my second import. It looks complicted to start with but really isn't once you get into it. Google shipping companies in Aus. Call them, they also have loads of info they can pass on....after all they do it all the time.
Once you settle on a company. Google them, see if anything untoward crops up.
Whatever you decide, goodluck. Me, i say go for it!

Old 11-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Champir is correct vis-a-vis the import to aus

Old 11-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Champir is correct vis-a-vis the import into aus. The govt have made it impossible to get ANY post 1989 cars into the country. New Zealand DOes NOT have an auto manufacturer and therefore, no protection (sic) is demanded.

better off trying to import a Bentley or roller up to 1989, they are at least inexpensive.

regards,
Michael P
1991xj40 Sov, 138,000kiloms

Old 11-16-2012, 06:22 PM
GGG
Received 16,853 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by champir
From what I understand, to import a post-1989 vehicle that isn't on the SEVS or RAWS lists is basically impossible unless you are a returning citizen or immigrating to Australia. Currently the only Jaguar vehicle on one of those other lists is the XJ220....................
Rob,
Excellent post.
I can see you being appointed forum Australian Import Consultant.

Graham

Old 11-17-2012, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Get it to NZ first. Team up with a Kiwi that going to move to OZ

Cheers
34by151

Old 11-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 34by151
Get it to NZ first. Team up with a Kiwi that going to move to OZ

Cheers
34by151
It could work but it would get complicated.

Vehicles coming in to NZ attract 15% GST (tax). Once you have got through the process of importing it into NZ, it seems the Kiwi would need to own and use the vehicle in NZ for at least 12 months before taking it to Australia. A further Australian Import Duty and GST taxes totaling 15% might take the shine off the exercise also.

See also: Need help Shipping your Car to Australia from New Zealand, USA and UK?

Regards
Stuart

Old 11-17-2012, 10:22 PM

I'd guess that the same rules apply for import NZ as they do from anywhere else. The importer must have owned and used the car for 12 months to be eligible to import it.

The other option would be to move overseas for 12+ months and bring it back yourself. Sadly they were only just starting to make XK8/R's in the mid nineties when I worked in the UK. I couldn't have afforded one new then and I still can't now.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by cadmium
Vehicles coming in to NZ attract 15% GST (tax)
Yes but yo cant bring in a car that is not on either list that way.

Cheers
34by151

Old 11-18-2012, 04:33 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 34by151
Yes but yo cant bring in a car that is not on either list that way.

Cheers
34by151
Here's some other stuff I have picked up.

Let's say I as an NZder go to the UK and buy a car, and live there, own it and drive it for 12 months, I can bring it back into NZ without paying GST as long as I own it for 2 years in NZ after I return. A change of ownership within 2 years of import will attract 15% GST. See near the bottom of this boring stuff: Importing a motor vehicle (Factsheet 44) | NZ Transport Agency

I spent some time dreaming of all the different ways I could cut costs by importing 2003-2005 XKRs from the UK, and in the end realised I was better off buying a vehicle already in the country. People importing 2006-on vehicles on like 'muncher' have advantages because their vehicles meet new NZ emission standards and are less likely to have succumbed to the nasty salt they use on the roads in parts of the UK.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:15 PM

Looks like the Federal Govt have updated the website for vehicle imports.
Importing Vehicles into Australia

There is a new "quick quiz" feature that makes determining your options a little easier.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

When I was working with a car dealer to get an XKR imported from the UK they were specifically looking for cars at auctions that were ex-company/VAT registered cars because I think that their contacts in the UK were then able to claim the VAT back which makes the purchase price cheaper. GST then gets charged in NZ but the price is still a little cheaper as VAT is higher than GST.

Adding GST to a full price XKR made it not a lot cheaper than buying one here once all the costs were added on. The only benefit is a much larger pool of cars available. I managed to find a highly specified, low K's car in NZ in the end though.

Another option is to use a company such as this:

Experts in Exporting Prestige, Performance & Supercars to Asia | Autos Direct 2 Asia

My mechanic imported a 2010 XKR for a customer through them recently and it seemed fine.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:58 AM
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

If anyone wants to know specifics about importing pre-89 cars in Aus, drop me a line. I brought my '86 911 in in 2011 and have a pretty good handle on the ins and outs, and have helped 4 other blokes with their Porsches too.

Regards,

Rob

Old 02-25-2013, 04:13 AM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts

You can only import 89 or later model cars from the UK if you have owned and used the car for 12 months with proof of usage and so forth

You cannot be away from the car more than 2 weeks so going to the UK buying the car and then coming back to Australia does not work

If the car is purchased as a business vehicle and you have a registered British business you can be away from the UK on business indefinitely as long as your business commitments bring you back to the UK regularly

My mate brought out his Bentley like that
I am still trying to get him to bring me out a paramount XKR finding one is the hard part (LOL)

Last edited by doc; 05-04-2013 at 03:41 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

On top of all the other red tape I didn't see a mention of the ADR requirements. Like others I thought of the import idea and looked into it,got quotes for transport,stevedores,quarantine,customs,duties,con tainer,etc etc.
What's on eBay I wonder?

Old 04-26-2013, 07:47 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

I'm bringing back my XJR as a personal import, as i'm moving back to Australia in the next couple of months.

I'm using a broker, all up with shipping, duties, GST, registration, stamp duty, etc. i'm looking at ~$9K in costs door to door.

From my point of view, it's not really about saving money (in the end the car will still owe me a bit less than buying local) BUT you can be sure there is not a single 2005 XJR in Australia in black with red interior.

So that's the benefit, not so much financial, but choice of what's available....

Old 04-27-2013, 04:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Awesome..cranberry? Never seen it.
And about the best model for my money too. Half your luck! So 9K plus what the car cost. The insurance fine print worried me too. Small dents are to be expected? Define small for me. I not sure they were going to actually put it on the ship(container),just tow it behind.
Where's home Cambo? NZ or OZ ?

Old 05-01-2013, 02:51 AM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo351
I'm bringing back my XJR as a personal import, as i'm moving back to Australia in the next couple of months.

I'm using a broker, all up with shipping, duties, GST, registration, stamp duty, etc. i'm looking at ~$9K in costs door to door.

From my point of view, it's not really about saving money (in the end the car will still owe me a bit less than buying local) BUT you can be sure there is not a single 2005 XJR in Australia in black with red interior.

So that's the benefit, not so much financial, but choice of what's available....
I bet you will be the only one with that colour combination here in Australia
I had a Hong Kong import 450 SL years ago silver with red interior was one of 2 in Australia the other one came from the UK
When you are bored with your XJR let me know black and red is a sexy
colour combination LOL

Old 05-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

I'm originally from Perth, but I'll be moving to Sydney.

The shipping will be on a car carrier ship (RORO roll on roll off) not in a container, so yes there is a risk of damage, but that's what insurance is for.

The majority of the import costs are Govco; the shipping is only €1250...

The XJR will not be for sale, sorry blokes!

Quick Reply: Jag Imports from the UK