Recommendations For Classic Car Insurers - ACT/NSW

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2024, 08:18 AM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Recommendations For Classic Car Insurers - ACT/NSW

Hi I currently have 4 classic cars of various makes insured with Shannons. After a dispute with them about roadside assistance today, I have decided not to renew by policies with them when they come due early next month.

So I am looking for recommendations for alternatives. A quick google check comes up with about 6 companies but with the exception of NRMA and Lumleys I have not heard of any of them.

So if you are with another insurer, please let me know and what you think of them.

Thanks

Garry

Old 07-04-2024, 04:53 PM
Received 3,978 Likes on 2,876 Posts

I’m with Shannon’s Gary…..it’ll be interesting to see what you come up with?

Old 07-05-2024, 02:54 AM

Hi Jim, yes and I guess most people are with them. Haven't found anyone who is not. I did a google search and there are about 6 or 7 other providers some well known like NRMA and RACV, and some I have not heard of before. There is one - Lumleys that existed many years ago and I was insured with them before Shannons came onto the scene - they were OK then but I am sure they were taken over by someone else.

I will wait and see.

Thanks

Garry

The following users liked this post:
Daf11e (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 06:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been with Shannons for years.
My only input is that the premium, though important, pales into insignificance if you have problems when you make a claim. 2 companies I have used in the past were only interested in the cheapest repair cost even stooping to insisting on the use of substandard parts on a near new Audi.
I can say Shannons is great in that regard, no complaints whatsoever.
Neil

Daf11e (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 07:28 AM

Hi Neil - yes I have had good service with them in the past but they have decided not to deal with a issue I had so I am thinking about leaving them.

Old 07-09-2024, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Hello Garry,

Yes I'm with Shannons also for all Ken's Kattery. My experience is based on a no nonsense, no quibbles claim, that saw them happy to include a sagging roof liner as part of a claim. Even so, we engage in an arm wrestle at every annual renewal regarding premiums.

I am mindful of a largely unknown factoid concerning motor insurance in NSW/ACT that may or may not apply elsewhere in Oz . . . the vast majority of insurers (compulsory Green Slip, TPPD and Comprehensive) all belong to a coterie that is parented by just a couple of parent companies . . . possibly only two! In this regard, my understanding is that Shannons sits besides several other apparent competitors, with all owned or underwritten by a common parent company! I have not bothered to check recently, and would be interested to know if this is still the case.

BTW, neither Shannons, NRMA, nor any others come within a bull's roar of APIA for Home & Contents insurance here for old geysers like me.

Best wishes with your research.
Cheers,

Last edited by cat_as_trophy; 07-09-2024 at 11:41 PM.
Garrycol (07-10-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 11:47 PM
Received 3,978 Likes on 2,876 Posts

Ken, I think their under the Suncorp Group.

Old 07-10-2024, 01:21 AM

Yes they are.

Shannons do not seem to understand their obligations under Australian Consumer Law in that if they sell a product they are the point of contact for all issues with that product even if it is provided by another provider. eg If you buy a Sony TV from Harvey Norman and it has issues, Harvey Norman cannot devolve responsibility to Sony for the issue. The customer only has to deal with Harvey Norman as the seller not Sony - Harvey may of course take the issue up with Sony.

In Shannons case - they sold me a product provided by another supplier and Shannons have washed their hands of the issue. Interestingly the other company has come to the party and provided a refund and changed some of their processes - something that Shannons was required to do by law.

Garry