Cars/stuff for sale worth mentioning thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts
Default Cars/stuff for sale worth mentioning thread

No ... it's not an ad for eBay ... but, I was amazed at the breadth and depth of parts being offered at the moment. I PM'd several of you XJ owners, but felt this deserved the widest audience as there are far too many good items that we should not see go to waste. I will avoid giving hotlinks (too many). Just use "jaguar" followed by "diff" or "bonnet" or whatever in the categories search facility.

Examples enclude diffs and entire rear ends encased in carriers @ $200-$400; an XJ bonnet incl chromed grille and lights still looking for start bid of $50; another for $100; and all the usual Jaguar "trash and treasure". As I said, not a promo for eBay, but a "heads up" for all those looking for an early Christmas stocking filler for that spare corner in the garage or workshop. ROTFL.

For my part, found another Jag for sale that has my wife's name written all over it ... I think her saying "no" is just a well used encouragement ... so a rushed trip north may be in order if I can get the vendor to answer my emails (or perhaps that cunning cane cutter Clarke has beaten me to it!).
Best wishes to all,
Ken

---------------------------------------

OK let's kick this off...

Very simple, if you find a Jag, or some parts for sale that you think are worth sharing, then post it here. Could be a bargain, could be something weird or exotic, or something that's just plain cool...off ebay, gumtree, carsales, or even if you get a picture of a car on the side of the road with a For Sale sign on it...

Post one or two pics and a link to the ad so we know where to look. If you want to quote some of the ad then feel free.

There are just three rules for this thread.

1. No posting your own stuff for sale. We have a classified section for that.

2. Cars must be for sale in Aus/NZ, or if overseas then eligible for import via normal channels.

3. Discussion is welcome in this thread but keep it on topic.

Last edited by Cambo; 07-07-2014 at 09:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Gippsland (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 04:01 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Cunning cane cutter. Never heard that one before,lol
What car is it you are interested in ?

Old 02-28-2014, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by o1xjr
What car is it you are interested in ?
I'll PM you details of the car ... but, the real question is this ... it reads like a "steal" ... so, is it perhaps just that?

May all be wishful ... still waiting for email answer ... Too good to be true?

I'll keep you posted mate.
Ken

Old 02-28-2014, 06:03 PM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi Ken and Clarke.....
Sometimes too good to be true is not a bad thing......
Not often I grant you, but occasionally.
As you know, I recently came into possession of my baby,
Yes she has a few minor things to do, but is very drivable, and any repairs can still be carried out without taking her off the road.
Point being... I thought too good to be true also @ $1200.....
I couldn't have been more satisfied

Old 03-01-2014, 04:19 AM
Veteran Member
Default Bargains in Jaguar-land

Hello Robert,

How true your observation, but let me reply via your adjacent post in "Australia/NZ New Members" because you raise a number of matters I would like to comment on away from the discussion of spare parts.

Regards,
Ken

Old 03-02-2014, 01:38 AM

Since buying the XJ6 I've been surprised how many are around being parted out and how easy most parts are to come by. Either online or from making a few calls locally.
Found guy in Brisbane who only wrecks Jags,Landrovers and Jeeps. AJG Spares at Acacia Ridge
AJG Spares | New and Used Car Parts for Jeep, Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover models

Last edited by o1xjr; 03-02-2014 at 01:42 AM. Reason: mistake
The following users liked this post:
cat_as_trophy (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member

Hey Clarke and Robert,

Many thanks for your share (AJG Spares at Acacia Ridge) as a good Brisbane supplier of Jag parts. I agree with your observation that there seems to be a plentiful supply of XJ parts around the country. Perhaps as some of the classic saloons age, owners of marginal cars are realizing better values by dismantling.

I have just been scanning (Jaguars on gumtree.com.au) where I was amazed to see, among other wonders, very tired looking V12 XJS for just $1,500 - $2,500, some nice XJ6s, then XJ40s aplenty. It will come as no surprise that I find the Sovereign, the VanDen Plas, and especially the couple of Daimlers very attractive. It's a good thing I am supposed to be downsizing for our move from farm into town, otherwise the less than $4,000 negotiable being asked would be a terrible temptation.

I've had to unleash all my charms to persuade Chris she needs a baby X-Type ... finally succeeding ... and in Brisbane we may have found a cracker. So, any discussion of a long wheelbase V12 as a project car would attract certain resistance at this time. As Grant would say ... Bugga.

Best wishes,
Ken

Old 03-03-2014, 04:42 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Thumbs up Cars/stuff for sale worth mentioning thread

This Series 1 XJ6 is very tempting...even at $4K if it's as good as it looks in the pictures...

Jaguar series l, XJ6 Sedan | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia Inner Sydney - Moore Park | 1040137686

jaguar serie l xj 6, 4.2L SWB

this car has a NSW rego till april, she runs great, stop even better, and goes anywhere you want. one of my everyday driver at the moment.

mechanic: it had a new water pump fitted a couple of months ago, and new engine mounts.
some wiring done for the last pink slipto improve head lights and 2 news front tyres fitted less than 500 km ago.

she is navy blue, a very dark shade of it.
the paint job still looks great, but rear RH door has some paint buble growing, not rust, but paint.
beside she looks stunning, chrome work is ok.
interrior is grey velour, no cracks, it looks ok as well.

Attached Thumbnails Cars/stuff for sale worth mentioning thread-%24_20.jpg  

Last edited by Cambo; 07-07-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:43 AM

I too have noticed lots for sale on Gumtree and other sites....
as much as I would love to check out and buy some of them...... there is still that one thing that prevents it...... Money (or lack of) lol

full cars are becoming very reasonably priced.... but parts prices are still a killer, as you say Ken, this is why so many are moving to dismantling.

got a quote just yesterday for parts from a local dismantler/supplier ..... Adelaide you can't get any parts cheap.

Left door mirror $75.00
R/h/s fender/guard turn signal indicator (rectangle style) used base with new bulb holder $45.00
Corner bumper bar reflector new $48.00 used $20.00
L/h/s tail light (lens only if possible) lens $95.00 stock is getting low
Anti Glare Dash Mat to suit all model XJ40'S & X300'S in Mocha , mocha has been changed to caramel $75.00.

Yet a complete 1988 XJ40 Sovereign exactly the same as mine even the color sold on Ebay for $750..... I missed out by a whisker

Last edited by red_101au; 03-03-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:01 AM

great idea

Old 03-04-2014, 04:33 AM

AGJ Spares in Brisbane is no longer open.

He has only closed in the last few weeks, I will find out if he has closed or moved.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo351
You guys have given me an idea, stolen from another forum, but a good idea none the less...
If there is anything you come across for sale & would like to share, feel free to post it in here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...31/#post922974
Hi Cameron ... good move but any chance (as a Mod) you can organize or influence merging the two threads (and all the posts) into one thread ... already some good info here to which you have added yours.

I agree the thread topic should be wider than just Oz eBay, and should build on principles that started this thread and most recently expressed by Robert (red_101au) ... genuine friendship and keenness to share with others. Sad that your 3 "rules" need to state the third ... have never seen such problems here on the Aus/NZ section ... except that our Kiwi neighbours are often a wee bit quiet ... rather a pity as the few Jaguars I have seen over there all seemed really beautiful. Love to hear and see more ...

Perhaps to help emphasize your first rule not to advertize one's own items, the new combined thread title should be:
"Jaguar Cars, Parts and Services for sale elsewhere"

Originally Posted by o1xjr
AGJ Spares in Brisbane is no longer open.
Clarke; disappointing news about AJG Spares. Hoped we may visit them during my Bris trip. Their web site is still up. Please keep us posted.

Originally Posted by red_101au
full cars are becoming very reasonably priced.... but parts prices are still a killer, as you say Ken, this is why so many are moving to dismantling.
Whatever our desires Robert, all of us have budgets that limit our priorities ... perhaps this trend of "more affordable" whole cars may see more owners moving towards the US trend of buying down-market cars as donors for spares that are otherwise so expensive. The host of XJs and Sovs being offered around Oz at very affordable prices may see this trend really take off here as well. Always a bummer missing a bargain ... Maxwell Smart may have "missed it by that much", but my score looks bad too ... like 0 out of 3 in the past week!
Best wishes all,
Ken

Old 03-05-2014, 04:56 AM

How is the search for a car going Ken ?

I am going to chase up AJG Spares on Friday, couple of Jeep pals of mine want to know what happened too.

Engine mounts going in tomorrow, just got to decide which of the floor joists is going to be drilled for the block & tackle. Got to pick one I can use if I ever(should I say when) have to remove the engine.

Clarke

Old 03-05-2014, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member

Not good Clarke. Time for a general "heads up" warning to all fellow members that this car (2003 X-Type on CarPoint) which I described as looking a "steal" is now looking more suspicious. Neither I, nor Clarke who has been trying to help me locally in Brisbane, have received replies to our many inquiries, by the seller Arun. I will now report this to CarPoint as a potential "trawling scam" and will advise outcome.

Chris and I are off in the S-Type for a few days touring around the NSW Northern Tablelands, to clear the cobwebs and drown our sorrows.

Best wishes with the engine mounts ... catch you when I return.
Cheers,
Ken

Old 03-05-2014, 07:58 AM

Hi all,
nothing really to add.... just wanted to pop in and keep intouch with everything and everyone.
I have to agree with Ken, from my short time on the Jag forums..... I really think that we are all here for a good time, to share experience and help others where possible.....
No one wants in house fighting.

ok... that's my two cents worth...

Old 03-05-2014, 01:27 PM

Hi Ken and Robert,
Happy touring to yourself and Chris,enjoy the S-type. I was looking forward to checking out the X-tpye for you, wasn't to be.
I agree with you Robert, nice to pop on and catch up In friendly manner.

Hi Cameron, havn't crossed paths with you yet. But sure we will plenty of times in the future. Any posts I have read have been nothing but civil,maybe I missed a few along the way?

Happy motoring to all.

Clarke

Old 03-05-2014, 05:55 PM

OMG.....
I just noticed my status is now senior member.... how did that happen.
Only been on here for a couple of weeks hehehee.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member

Hiya Senior Member ... I can see the grey whiskers from all the way over here ... hahahaha.

After my "heads up" warning about the 2003 X-Type I was chasing, I figure I should add the following to ensure no-one else falls into what I see ( and have reported) as a "trawling scam" ... Carsales Network ID SSE-AD-2511784.

Back to the drawing board.
Cheers,

Ken

Old 03-10-2014, 03:58 AM

Welcome back Ken, hope you enjoyed the Northern Tablelands.
Robert, you have my problem. Too much spare time and posting lots, 100 posts makes you a senior member.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:23 AM

Thanks Ken, yes.... the whiskers are grey too, red and grey not really a good look.
And thanks for the heads-Up... something that should be passed on thru forums.

I see Clarke... that's how it works, a hundred post for senior.... I better stop posting.
Next thing I know I will be classic then vintage and then finally an antique.

Actually having a ball..... didn't even notice how many posts.
and yes, being a stay home pensioner type... I do tend to have a lot of spare time lol

Quick Reply: Cars/stuff for sale worth mentioning thread