Oil poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:20 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil poll

Since a lot of the lubricants on offer overseas aren't available locally who would be interested in revealing what they use in their Jaguars? I'll start the ball rolling.

3.0L auto X-Type: crankcase - unknown; transfer case - unknown, transmission - unknown, rear diff - unknown; coolant - you guessed it, unknown.

Since prior to me buying this car it has always been serviced through a dealership I guess it's always had Jaguar fluids used throughout. Who's next?

Old 07-29-2014, 07:58 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

My Jaguar is not the most important car in my fleet. 2001 Bonneville racks up the most miles,followed by "Her in doors" Mazda 3,both top of the range castrol lubricated,then the Jeep(now 1500-2000km year)Castrol magnatec also. Jag gets the cheapest oil that meets the book. Shell Helix HX5 15/w40 at $16.99 /4 ltr.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:36 AM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts

I use quite a few different oils in my vehicles for the engines in my Jaguars
I use Hi Tec oils
In the XJR6 I use this Super 70 SG/CD | Hi-Tec Oils

In the XJ8 X350 I use this HTO 10W/50 SM/CF | Hi-Tec Oils

In the Jeep and Renault diesels I use this PM Lubricants Pty Ltd - PM412/20

For the XJR6 diff's and Jeep GC diff's I use this Red Line Synthetic Oil - ShockProof® Gear Oils - Heavy ShockProof®

In the XJ8X350 and Renault trafic Transaxle I use this AMSOIL Severe Gear® 75W-140

For all my power steering I use this AMSOIL Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid

For auto transmissions I use What the shop puts in I get all my automatics done every 60,000 k,s regard less

In my bikes I use amsoil http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/motorcycle/20w-50-advanced-synthetic-motorcycle-oil/?code=MCVQT-EA in

Brake fluids I use this DOT 5 Brake Fluid-41800220 | Oils & Fluids | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store its the best value synthetic brake fluid I could find

Coolants I use what is manufacturer recommend whoever sells the most decent prices for the XJ8 and water cooled bikes I own I Use this https://www.acdelco.com/parts/vehicle-maintenance/mechanical-repair/dex-cool-antifreeze/
I buy it at the holden dealer (I know)

The Jeep was supposed to be using amsoil but the mechanic that did all the fluid changes 3 years ago turned out to be a storey teller so its probably the home brand he was using going to change it in the next couple months before summer its done 90,000 and 3 years

I like the amsoil products the distributor keith is over in mudgeeraba and is a mate
The PM oil guy is Steve good bloke analyses the oil for me I like the mineral oils in the diesel engines they seem to run better than on the previous synthetics
And the Hi Tec oils distributor is in Brissie as well Paul great service they are also the Wynns guys
I use the Wynns EGR3 for all the EGRs on my diesels until l I get them switched OF (lol)
So there you have it I buy all these items in 20 litre drums to save costs

I wont be using the redline again for a while I used it in the XJR6 diff and Jeep diff's because they are all brand new and the Jeep gets driven by my wife a lot so say no more
The jaguars especially the earlier ones sufferd from diff problems with the inboard discs on early models it was due to the brakes heating up the oil prematurely on the later outboard disc cars till the X350 it was becase the diff sat so high in the body no cooling air
I cant say much about the X350 yet it is a completely different set-up then the older models I have had in the past let you know in a few years LOL

Old 08-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in the days I was a Castrol Syntec kind of guy... all these years later - Amsoil is my main goto - I have used many different name brand fluids over the years - but jumped on the synthetic craze early. This 2003 Jaguar X-Type is starting off with me a little helter skelter - I too have no idea what was done to her prior to my getting her - got some vibration thru the car since I secured driveshaft (revitalized the center support bushing) - this pushed me to change the rear diff and TC fluids - used 75/140 Royal Purple - not my 1st choice but cost less than Mobil1 and couldn't wait for Amsoil. The oil change coming soon - the guy I got it from said it was done - it looked and smelled pretty good so I'm leaving it for 3000mi - then it's getting Castrol Edge 5w30 full syn - just because I had a coupon - and it does have a slow leak from the pan I think...