Trainer wheels fell off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 03:38 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts
Default Trainer wheels fell off.

Hey Guys, didn't notice when it happened. But I've moved from "Junior member"
to "member", what discounts do I get? (lol)
Maybe this is just my way to chat to you guys.
I can be a bit cheeky now, my son took this pick the day we got the XJ6

ps. me imitating the Bently add,minus the tux

Old 02-07-2014, 03:41 AM
Default Forgot to add the pic,Sorry

Here it is, If I had a Bently that would be me. But in King Gees,s driving to work.

Clarke

Attached Thumbnails Trainer wheels fell off.-dsc_8117.jpg   Trainer wheels fell off.-bentley-finger-car-ad.jpg  

Last edited by o1xjr; 02-07-2014 at 03:47 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 02-07-2014, 03:58 AM
GGG
Received 16,857 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by o1xjr
Hey Guys, didn't notice when it happened. But I've moved from "Junior member"
to "member", what discounts do I get? (lol)
Maybe this is just my way to chat to you guys.
I can be a bit cheeky now, my son took this pick the day we got the XJ6

ps. me imitating the Bently add,minus the tux
Clarke,

Turns from Junior Member to Member when you hit 10 Posts. Next milestone is Senior Member at 100 Posts and Veteran at 1000.

XJ6 is looking good. Shame about that evil looking joy rider stealing it from you.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
o1xjr (02-08-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 04:07 AM
Received 10,496 Likes on 6,931 Posts

HAHA,

My spousie wants a Bentley, purely to agitate the guys at the can deposit depot who constantly give a stir about bringing the cans around in a Jaguar.

They really dont get the fact we ONLY have Jaguars, no other make is allowed in the driveway, except the Bentley if she goes thru with it.

I seriously doubt she would ever see over the steering wheel, but that is a subject I am simply NOT brave enough to mention.

o1xjr (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 04:28 AM

Silence is bliss sometimes, you get to know when to answer and when to hold your tongue.
That evil looking joy rider would be myself,tried to offload him many times.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Hi all,

Vote this one of the funniest tongue-in-cheek series of posts seen in ages.

Aussies (and, by popular invitation, that includes you, Graham) must have their irreverent sense of humour "built in"- sort of like all the electrical jokes that lie hidden beneath the surface of any Jaguar part branded Lucas ... Ha ha ha!

Clarke, I was pleased to see that the fellow stealing your XJ did not prevent you from dressing appropriately for dinner. But please dear, try to refrain from making those frightful gestures in front of the servants!

Best wishes all.

The following 2 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
GGG (02-08-2014), o1xjr (02-08-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 04:15 AM

Hey, the pic was taken the day we got the XJ6(doing the purchase day photo shoot). I was turning it around when I realised my son was taking pics of me so I gave him the finger. As you know Ken, my first middle name is "long winded", now you know my second middle name "tongue in cheek".
Went to Bribie Island in the Jeep today with my nepthew,his 2 boys and my 2 kids. Fed the fish with 2kg of pilchards swam in the surf and went home with no fish for dinner but spent a motza on fuel but had a good day.
First day since I bought the xj6 that it hasn't been used.
Checked the timing and the dwell yesterday(with my retired mechanic neighbor),all good. Plugs look good and carbs are running neat, not rich or lean. Still pre-igniting.
I'm leaning towards cracked block between cylinders now, I'm happy to drive it as it is as it doesn't overheat or use oil,no water in oil and otherwise runs fine. Just got to flood it with choke to shut it down......cheap fix for now.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:07 AM

We are a weird mob. They even made a movie loooong ago about us.

The pre-igniting is more than likely carbon build up on the piston crowns. I had that with the S2 Daimler, and simply leaving it in "D" as I shut it down solved it. Eventually teh carbon burned away, and all good.

I doubt that block is cracked. The S1 were way less prone to it than the S2 engines.

Idle speed with SU carbies is critiical to aid shut down smoothness. The S2 cars had a quite complicated "gulp valve" set up to achieve this. It did work well, but became troublesome with age, and most were removed.

A paper on LUCAS i have had for a very long time, just because.

Eletrical theory as per Joseph Lucas.doc

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
cat_as_trophy (02-08-2014), o1xjr (02-08-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
A paper on LUCAS i have had for a very long time, just because.
I love it Grant ... chuckle of the week ... reminded me of Joseph Lucas' two Irish employees Paddy and Shaun, who were put in charge of the firm's diversification into turn indicators. Critical test session saw Paddy at the driver controls and Shaun providing on-the-spot feedback ...

"Aye Paddy ... they're workin' ... Nah lad, they're not workin' ... they're workin' ... they're not workin' ..."

The lads considered them so unreliable, they shelved any further plans. Surprising, because you can sometimes find this same process at work in Lucas fuel pumps ... Lucas wipers ... even Lucas switchgear. Even so, with patience, most can be made to work with acceptable reliability. For "reliability" read "they're workin' ... they're not workin' ..."

What I could never tolerate was the knowledge that in our beautiful Series1 E-Type with gorgeous red Connelly leather trim, some clown at Jaguar (perhaps under the then stranglehold of British Leyland) signed off on fitting grey plastic and reddish vinyl door arm rests - lifted straight off the Mini Minor (I kid you not!). Now there's a weird joke!

Cheers.
Ken

o1xjr (02-08-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 11:47 PM

Hi Grant,
love the Lucas theory, it must be right. I have British bike and the starter motor is smoking, but only as long I'm pressing the starter button. Pulling that out as soon I get my jeep back together tomorrow. A week ago all were running well, now jeep is overheating,Triumph is not starting. The starter motor is at the lower front of engine where water from front tyre goes straight into it and I have been out in flash flooding from heavy rain(water up to footpegs) so I assume the starter motor is fairly damp inside. At least the Japanese put their electrical components at the back of the motors, never had a jap bike get wet components. And they all say Nippon .........., not lucas.
I hope you are right about the block unlikely being cracked, got further investigate at some point. As I said it's running well and its a cheap car so keep on driving and I'll eventually got to the bottom of the problem, idle is at 700 rpm in neutral which the book states,but idling like a 186 with a lumpy cam. playing with carbies is next on the list.

Cheers, Clarke

Old 02-09-2014, 06:13 AM

I agree with the lumpy being carb related.

More than likely out of balance, and depending on HD8 or HS8 how fiddly they will be to get right.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:21 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
............ A paper on LUCAS i have had for a very long time, just because.
It must be a knockoff copy - doesn't have the official factory logo:

Name:  lucaspod.gif
Views: 285
Size:  3.8 KB

Graham

Old 02-09-2014, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Graham,

Evil genius! Are you sure you're not an Aussie?
Cheers

Old 02-10-2014, 02:41 AM

HD8 I think, is it marked on them somewhere. Or is there an easy way to tell.
Clarke

Old 02-10-2014, 03:47 AM
Default HD8 or HS8

Hi Grant, can you tell what carbs I have from this pic. It is the only one I have, can get better shot tomorrow, XJ6 is out in the cold tonight. Parked on the street as Jeep And Bonneville are in A&E for now. New fan clutch coming for Jeep tomorrow and Triumph has a drowned starter motor. Took that apart,water came out.
Not much of a fleet manager, 3 not running right and 1 bike needing tyres. Her Mazda 3 is the only sorted one this week. But XJ6 is still getting a run daily.
Had a young "p" plater say to me today "cool car,what is it?", When I said Jaguar he just nodded and walked off with a blank look. I love that. At least he noticed it.
Clarke

Attached Thumbnails Trainer wheels fell off.-dsc_8105.jpg   Trainer wheels fell off.-dsc_8104.jpg  
Old 02-10-2014, 04:05 AM
GGG

Some useful information on SU overhaul in the technical section of their website:

Technical - SU Carburetters

Graham

o1xjr (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by o1xjr
Hi Grant, can you tell what carbs I have from this pic. It is the only one I have, can get better shot tomorrow, XJ6 is out in the cold tonight. Parked on the street as Jeep And Bonneville are in A&E for now. New fan clutch coming for Jeep tomorrow and Triumph has a drowned starter motor. Took that apart,water came out.
Not much of a fleet manager, 3 not running right and 1 bike needing tyres. Her Mazda 3 is the only sorted one this week. But XJ6 is still getting a run daily.
Had a young "p" plater say to me today "cool car,what is it?", When I said Jaguar he just nodded and walked off with a blank look. I love that. At least he noticed it.
Clarke
Look like HS8 to me.

Have a feel underneath (the carby Clarke), and feel for a plastic tube running from the base of the fuel bowl to the jet. It may have a spiral metal protection on it. If so HS8.

If you only feel a solid cast alloy arm then HD8, which I seriously doubt they are by the snaps, as I see a mixture screw and a bowl top that is HS8 100%.

The HS8 is a better unit and less prone to engine fires (see, not just a V12 thing), but are a tad fiddlier to set up, but some serious JD prior to starting the work always helps me.

Let me know if you want a"word doco" on that (the carby setting I meant, not the JD), and I will oblige.

What's this "cold outside", its Qld, damn, we got 42 tomorrow and 44+ on Wed with rain, YUK.

o1xjr (02-11-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 05:03 AM

Nah not cold outside, XJ6 is just feeling left out in the cold. Probably don't need the word doc on the JD, "Jack lives here" a lot of the time,and gentleman Jack drops by occasionally.
Word doc on the carbs would be appreciated though.
Pretty warm here. My neighbor gave me a lecture today on the effects cars have on the environment and he kindly pointed out I have 3 cars and he catches the bus.(plus the bikes)
My reply was I only drive one at a time and it's carbon footprint is smaller than his bus. As you can see we don't see eye to eye.

Clarke

Old 02-10-2014, 06:54 AM

I will do that doco tomorrow after work.

My answer to those clowns was/is "that I actively encourage the development of alternative fuels by buying another V12". I still stand by that today.

LPG is for cooking my dinner, not running engines on.

I had 4 V12's at the time, of a total of 8 Jags, and the Greeny living next door with the push bike family really got p(*&^%ed when I bought another one home.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 02-10-2014 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Spelling still sucks
o1xjr (02-11-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 05:20 AM
Default 100% HS8 carby's

Hi Grant, They are HS8. Rubber looking tube with a spring around it.
Funny thing is the Intereurope XJ6 book,Haines S1-3 book , and the Bently second edition XJ6(printed in 1972) book all state the car has HD8 carbs. That is why I assumed I had hd8's. Would the HS8 be standard or have they been replaced at some stage, the kick down switch on the cable linkage is different to the books as well. Mine has a switch with an arm on it, the pics in 2 of the books show a ball end type micro switch that pushes in rather than the arm.
Have also noticed I set idle for a manual box(700 rpm), should be 600 rpm for the auto in N or P so will look into that when I can get car in garage, Jeep blocking the door with no radiator in it, new parts were supposed to arrive today.

Clarke

Attached Thumbnails Trainer wheels fell off.-dsc_8256.jpg   Trainer wheels fell off.-dsc_8447.jpg  

Last edited by o1xjr; 03-09-2014 at 12:23 AM. Reason: add text

Quick Reply: Trainer wheels fell off.