what does this XJS look like on paper?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 08:37 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Paul

this continues to be an interesting thread. Just to add to the confusion I have a 100% original 1984 V12 HE that will be for sale in about a month time. This car is almost in 100% condition and a full history can be supplied together with a full photo file. The colour is light bronze metallic with buff leather interior.

price will be $ 12 800 when placed on market.

Only reason for selling is that I have acquired a extremely rare 1976 XJS (pre HE) convertible, which will be on the road in about 4 weeks. after that I really do not have enough garaging for more cars, so unfortunately our current XJS has to go.

if you will send me your private email address I would be happy to provide you a complete file for consideration. I can be contacted at themodelworks@ozemail.com.au or on phone at 0424 598 787

happy hunting
Regards
BernardS

The following 2 users liked this post by narrowgauger:
orangeblossom (07-21-2014), paulyling (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 09:06 PM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

thanks Narrowgauger. This thread is very helpful indeed.

Mate my email address is paulyling80@gmail.com

Send me some pics if you like or better yet, post them up here and let the Jury decide!

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 12:35 AM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Paul,

I have been following all of your threads and I am going to ask a question that I feel should be brought up. Please do not take this the wrong way but I think it is just as important to qualify the person to a type of car as it is the car for the person. First, I think it fair to say the Jaguar XJS V-12 is a fairly difficult car to work on. I say this based on access issues. The XJS with the V-12 has a very tight engine compartment.

In all the years I have been around the XJS I have seen three distinct types of owners: Those that know how to work on cars and have the skills, the desire and the aptitude to tackle the V-12 XJS, those that have deep pockets and are able to pay to have things taken care of on the V-12 XJS and those that have neither and find themselves stuck with a car that is not running and therefore is now a burden and not a pleasure . That being said I have heard over and over again that a well sorted Jaguar V-12 is not that bad a set up to maintain (the key to this statement is "well sorted" and what it takes to get to the well sorted stage ).

So, IMHO how you see yourself and your circumstances is very important in this whole equation of which car to buy. Do you have a place to work on a car like this, the tools and abilities etc. I work on cars for a living and the reason I decided to buy a 1995 with the 4.0L six is because even though I have the room, tools and abilities to work on the V-12 I had to be honest with myself and admit I no longer had the desire. I really no longer wanted to work on a pleasure car as much as I wanted to drive and just enjoy it. I also wanted a convertible and I knew that a coupe was not going to give me the experience I was after. I paid a lot more for my '95 over an older early convertible but to be honest I have not regretted that decision for a moment as the AJ16 has been very trouble free.

If the reality is the only viable option cost wise at this time is a older V-12 coupe then here is my advice. Take a serious look at the yellow 1980 coupe. The reason I say this is the owner just spent around 20K to change the engine to a HE. This is a huge thing for the reason I mentioned before which is the issue of access. Someone who is willing to upgrade an older car with a newer engine is also the type of person who is going to have all the hoses, lines, seals etc etc upgraded also. Much easier to do all this on a V-12 with the engine out then with the engine in the car. Also, why would the owner put that kind of money into the car if it were not a sound car to begin with? Oh, and the yellow really stands out and would look sweet with the right wheels and tires.

The following 3 users liked this post by LuvmyXJS':
o1xjr (07-21-2014), orangeblossom (07-21-2014), paulyling (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 02:11 AM

Heh bud I really appreciate your honest advice.

To be honest I would be happy to tinker a little but anything major I would be taking in to mechanic, hence why I was sniffing out recommendations in one of my other threads.

Good point about Mellow yellow, however i think the Blue Goose sounds like it has equally been well taken cared of. These two IMO are on the top of my list.

The following 2 users liked this post by paulyling:
o1xjr (07-21-2014), orangeblossom (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,783 Likes on 2,618 Posts

Originally Posted by paulyling
Heh guys

another contender. (Cheers OG) Have a look at this Blue Meanie:

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...5308&silo=1011

She's a little pricey. Budgeting for $15k max, there would be extra costs in travel etc, (its about 2000 + kms, 2 days by road) so would have to be able to talk down a fair bit. I think this one might be out of reach but anyway....thoughts?
Hi Paul

The Link you put up for Blue Meanie aka 'True Blue' isn't working (for me) so I'll put up my own link to it and see if it works any better.

I know $15.5k is a lot of dough but a '1990' is the Year you should be aiming for, as like a 'Fine Wine of a Certain Vintage' some years were better than others.

It pays to buy the best you can afford, as if not you will always be throwing money at it and there almost certainly will come a time, when you start to add up the bills and then end up by kicking yourself, for not going the full 9 yards!

I would rather spend $15.5k on 'True Blue' than $13k on a much lesser Car but since She's a little bit way down the road, you have a legitimate reason, to negotiate on the price long before you even leave the house.

If I felt that this Car was for me, I would open by saying that I had a $10k budget but might be prepared to go up a bit if I found the right Car.

So that way you are negotiating, not on the $15.5k asking price but only on the $5,5k overspill.

In which case the Seller He/She may be willing to Split the difference, so you pick it up for $12,750k

If so 'Boom!' you've gone and bagged a bargain!

To me this Car looks 'Plug and Play' with nothing to spend and nothing to do, except to go out and enjoy it!

She is a later Car than mine and just take a look at that Engine! the Wheels! the Leather! the Body Work!

And Full Service History!

What is not to like?

From my own personal viewpoint, I would be breaking the Bank to buy myself a Car like this.

So can't wait for Grant and Clarke to jump in with their comments.

As for 'Mellow Yellow' it doesn't make any sense to me why anyone would spend $20k upgrading her to HE

When for that sort of money, you could have the 'Top Brick off the Chimney'

1990 Jaguar XJS Cars For Sale in SA - CarPoint Australia

Last edited by orangeblossom; 07-21-2014 at 04:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Grant Francis (07-21-2014), paulyling (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 04:40 AM

Yeah for sure I agree about Mellow Yellow. Wow if he spent 20k then he sure is losing out selling her for less than that. Strange...Maybe they are hard up. However my friend has a 68 Chevy Impala he has poured $55k in over many years but recons if he sells it he would only get like $20k.

Yeah I agree True Blue is real nice. Might get in contact with the seller. I dunno. Just have a good feelin about the Grey Goose though

Old 07-21-2014, 05:49 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

So any other thoughts on the Grey Nomad?
Originally Posted by Grant Francis
The Blue Goose (my name is better than yours HAHA), has NO rust that I have ever found when working on it.
Just have a good feelin about the Grey Goose though
Hi Paul, you guys have been busy the last 24 hours.
Don't you mean Blue Goose,you have got so much going on here you are losing track of the cars(lol).
OB, your link works. Couldn't get it from Paul's post. Another good car by the look of it. Should be able to pick it up for less than the asking price.
That makes two good cars in South Australia,sounds like a good weekend away to me,check them both out.

The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
orangeblossom (07-21-2014), paulyling (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 06:43 AM

lol "Grey Goose". Im thinking of alcohol already. (not allowed for 4 weeks on the rig)

Yeah i think if those two are still available in a few weeks then I might even see if my company would fly me home to SA instead of QLD. I plane it from Ho Chi Min City to Singapore then Singas to Brisbane. Should do direct flights from Singas to SA i think. Anyway off topic whoops...

I think i might sent an email in regards to True Blue (1990). She certainly looks fine.

Still any thoughts in regards to M.Y why they would recently pump $20k and sell it for near $12k?

Dang thats a drop.

Oh heh by the way. silly question time:

For the owners using petrol (not gas) do you always use the premium type? If so which? Do you require any additives? Can you please share what your kitty drinks?

Old 07-21-2014, 06:53 AM

so...when sending an enquiry to some ad like in used cars....what sort of things would you say in an initial letter of enquiry? What sort of things should i leave out? (ie max budget $15K)

Old 07-21-2014, 07:12 AM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Hi Paul,

The blue XJS looks very nice also. I would find out how recently the hoses etc have been replaced as it only takes one hose leaking to keep the car from driving. As for the yellow car the owner stated if I am not mistaken that they downsized home wise and bought a new car that is now sitting out of the garage.

Ownership of a car like a XJS becomes more of a relationship and you will find that many of us XJS owners are very committed to our cars. IMO it is a good thing to see a owner putting that kind of commitment into their car. What it tells me is that the owner did not intend to sell the car and that the car is a well loved and a sound car. Trust me the majority of us have more more into our cars both in money and time then the market will allow for but we do it because we are passionate about these cars. Much better a prior owner put the money into the car with the intention of keeping it only to have things change-as the saying goes " their loss-your gain".

Anyway I would take a close look at the yellow car for this reason and I would study all the receipts very closely to see what all was done to the car. While you are doing this keep in mind that what the owner just spent on this car in labor and parts could be you doing the same thing on another car. Good luck in your search but take your time. Do not be tempted to buy the first one. Have at least 3 very good candidates and check them all out, meet the owners, look over the receipts and drive the cars. If possible take someone with you from this forum that already knows these cars to look over with you.

All of this will help you know when you have found the right car for you. Wait until you have given at least three a complete check over and then if any one stands out and says that is the car for you then begin the process of negotiation. Take your time as you will live with your choice for a long time.

The following 2 users liked this post by LuvmyXJS':
orangeblossom (07-21-2014), paulyling (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 07:27 AM

Still any thoughts in regards to M.Y why they would recently pump $20k and sell it for near $12k?

Dang thats a drop.

For the owners using petrol (not gas) do you always use the premium type? If so which? Do you require any additives? Can you please share what your kitty drinks?
The last bike I restored I spent close to $7k(not including purchase price) and sold it for $2k more than I paid for it, I did myself out of $5k for my trouble. Happens all the time.

I run 95 octane and add a lead replacement,I have been told it is not required but I don't see what harm it will do. I am half way through my third 1 litre bottle at 1 Ml per litre I have used 2500 litres of fuel so have spent double the initial purchase price of the car in fuel in 7 months, As OB says "smiles per gallon,not miles per gallon"
what does this XJS look like on paper?-1703_fv1l.jpg

so...when sending an enquiry to some ad like in used cars....what sort of things would you say in an initial letter of enquiry? What sort of things should i leave out? (ie max budget $15K)
Try not to sound to keen,ask a list of questions as long as your arm(you will find them all in posts in this thread),and by no means mention your top dollar.
You are the one with the bargaining power here. Really,I wouldn't talk money in any initial contact, try to get the seller to mention "negotiable" before you do. This might be couple of messages down the track ,do mention you are from Brisbane and that you are checking out local cars before you consider travelling interstate. And that there seems to plenty to choose from.

Just my opinion. Hope this helps,others will be along with there 2 cents worth too.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:30 AM

Cheers guys I appreciate the advice. Wise words indeed

Old 07-21-2014, 08:11 AM

Paul, not knowing anything about XJS's I am only speaking in general terms of buying a used care from a private seller. Arm yourself with technical info from the XJS guys .

Old 07-21-2014, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah for sure I agree about Mellow Yellow. Wow if he spent 20k then he sure is losing out selling her for less than that. Strange...Maybe they are hard up. However my friend has a 68 Chevy Impala he has poured $55k in over many years but recons if he sells it he would only get like $20k.

Yeah I agree True Blue is real nice. Might get in contact with the seller. I dunno. Just have a good feelin about the Grey Goose though
Hi Paul

That's just the kind of Example you do not want to follow, buy the best Car first time out and then you hopefully wont have to throw any money at it.

Apart from a Tin of Car Polish!

'Mellow Yellow' just doesn't make sense, as if you upgrade it to an HE it would lose Originality.

So why would anyone go and Spend $20k doing that?

What's so Special about 'Grey Goose' from what I can see there are only a couple of Photos and very little in the way of info to go with them.

Its also not a great colour to keep looking clean, I have to wash the blinking thing every time I go out!

'True Blue' is a deeper and much better/smarter Colour.

paulyling (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

lol "Grey Goose". Im thinking of alcohol already. (not allowed for 4 weeks on the rig)

Yeah i think if those two are still available in a few weeks then I might even see if my company would fly me home to SA instead of QLD. I plane it from Ho Chi Min City to Singapore then Singas to Brisbane. Should do direct flights from Singas to SA i think. Anyway off topic whoops...

I think i might sent an email in regards to True Blue (1990). She certainly looks fine.

Dang thats a drop.

Hi Paul

You are not so much 'Off Topic' as much as making everyone 'Green With Envy!'

Flying around in Private Jets all over the World like some of us take Taxis!

I really do need to get out more!

As for the question of Petrol, I will leave that to the Experts aka Grant/Greg/Clarke.

But I'm a self confessed 'petrol snob' who only fills her up with 'Tesco Momentum' 99 Octain

Our Fuel | Momentum99 Benefits | Tesco Petrol Filling Station

Last edited by orangeblossom; 07-21-2014 at 04:50 PM.
paulyling (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

Too blinkin right!

Never let a Seller know how much you've got to spend, you've got to turn the tables and get them to sell you the Car.

So play it Cool and just send out an indicator of interest, if the price is right.

(as of course you have got others to go an look at!)

'Mellow Yellow' $12k or 'True Blue' $15.5k

You should get 'True Blue' for $10k to $14k Max! (so its no contest!)

1980 or 1990? You cannot even compare the two, give 'Mellow' the 'flick' its 'True Blue' all the way.

When you upgrade to a Convertible maybe from a Dealer.

In their eyes 'True Blue' will make a much better PX

paulyling (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 08:50 AM

lol private jet! ha ha i think if that were the case i would be chatting in the E-Type forum lol!

so....top 3 contenders so far:

1) Blue Goose
2) Mellow Yellow
3) True Blue 90

So far also will look at the other locals to get experience....am i missing any from the short list?

Old 07-21-2014, 09:00 AM

yeah i think True Blue 90 out classes mellow yellow...but who knows...3 weeks and a bit to show time...

Old 07-21-2014, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

lol private jet! ha ha i think if that were the case i would be chatting in the E-Type forum lol!

so....top 3 contenders so far:

1) Blue Goose
2) Mellow Yellow
3) True Blue 90

So far also will look at the other locals to get experience....am i missing any from the short list?
Yeah!

Don't tell them you work on an Oil Rig and leave the 'Rolex' at home!

paulyling (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 05:30 PM

ha ha i want a rolex one day!

Well I emailed True Blue 90 and waiting to hear back.

The reason im excited about Blue Goose is a have alot of information on the car which makes me a lot more confident, plus the colour is one of the original desires, and the price is right. I have been talking with Grant behind the scenes via email. If he doesnt mind Ill paste in some more of the info on BG. BTW he comes with the Growler in the boot. Whaddya reckon? Would look better with the leaper or growler in this case?

No doubt about TB90 thought. Shes a beauty. Once I here back Ill start posting some info on her.

Damn i just wanna fly home and drive one of these!!!!!!

Definately think Mellow Yellow has gone down the short list to # 3 but he's still there.

Quick Reply: what does this XJS look like on paper?