Battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 08:08 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Battery

Hi All,
when i had my car serviced recently the shop reported the battery at 66% so I'm expecting to replace it soon.
Its a 2017 XF 25t.
Any advice on what to get or where to get it.
TiA.

Old 07-29-2023, 02:34 AM
Received 10,494 Likes on 6,929 Posts

Hugh,

If you need one, I would slow charge it a couple of days, trickle charge in our old language.

I use Arlec 900Ma Battery Minders on all mine,and some of those batteries are 10+ years old.

Independent Batteries on Research Road are my supplier when needed. Kim was my contact back about 5 years ago, maybe still there.

The following users liked this post:
hcardle (07-30-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 03:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,371 Posts

Pretty sure a 2017 XF would have an AGM battery from the factory so that's your first choice. An AGM battery is a bit pricier than a traditional flooded cell lead acid battery (although it is still lead acid) but if the OEM battery is an AGM then you should not opt for a cheaper flooded cell battery, mainly for Stop/Start system reasons.
Your next choice is to make sure it will fit - length, width and height - so measure the existing battery.
Your third choice is to make sure it is at least as powerful (CCA - Cold Cranking Amps and Ah - amp hours) as the factory battery, both of those things should be on a label stuck on the existing battery. The new battery needs to have the same or bigger numbers but not less.
Supercheap Auto have plenty of AGM batteries for sale at reasonable prices, see here: https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/se...=agm%20battery.
Just select one with the right size and ratings.
I bought one of these (a Century DIN85LH, very likely the same one suits your XF) from Supercheap a few months ago for my F-Type but the original battery is still going strong after nearly nine years in the car so I haven't fitted it yet. I bought it when Supercheap had a 30% off sale on these batteries and it sits on the workbench ready to go in, so you may prefer to wait until Supercheap has a sale again.
As Grant says get yourself a battery maintainer/tender (not the same thing as a battery charger), I have used one for many years and that is why my original F-Type battery is still going strong after all this time. I have one from Supercheap, an older version of this one: https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...=en_AU&start=3
Works a charm but if you prefer something more mainstream the go-to brand around here is CTEK such as the MXS 5.0 see here: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/16257561...3ABFBMxpKGjLRi
Again as Grant says before you fit a new battery make sure you fully charge it as most times it has sat on the shelf for a while and may be less than fully charged. Modern Jags are very very sensitive to battery condition and charge!

The following 3 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Grant Francis (07-29-2023), hcardle (07-29-2023), Jkel72 (07-30-2023)
Old 07-30-2023, 11:36 PM

Good advice.
I bought the CTEK. $105 on ebay with big discount. AND i found the battery, under the spare in the boot. I believe I can connect in the engine bay at the junction/fuse box. I guess the instructions will tell me how to use it. I'm hoping it will rejuvenate my battery somewhat. Is that likely?
So I imagine I will hook it up for a couple of days and just monitor the CTEK status. It should tell me when it is finished. Beyond that, how often do you use it?
Incidentally the Stop/Start system stopped working some months ago. That could be because of the battery condition.
We will see.
Thanks again

Old 07-31-2023, 02:20 AM
Received 10,494 Likes on 6,929 Posts

Hugh,

ALL batteries, no matter the fancy technology claimed, need top up charging..The general rule of thumb was that the charging system takes 30minutes minimum, to put back what you just used to start the thing, providing it started on the 1st hit.

OK, that statement is from the late 60's, and charging systems have changed a bit, but so have the demands on that system, computers on wheels now a days.

All mine have had the charger, standard or Minder, attached the 1st Sat night of each month. That has been since 1970.

The current crop has these Calcium things, and the standard Arlec ($45) Minder is just fine for that same overnight top up. The X has the Green light in the morning, the S sometimes later Sunday, but it has a bigger capacity battery, so it all lines up in the real world.

I found the +ve post under the bonnet on them all, eventually, and used that for charging. The battery never gets unplugged, too much Sh&t to reset for my old brain now. Like the clock for daylight saving, DUH, wait 6 months, it well all be correct again.

hcardle (07-31-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hcardle
Good advice.
I bought the CTEK. $105 on ebay with big discount. AND i found the battery, under the spare in the boot. I believe I can connect in the engine bay at the junction/fuse box. I guess the instructions will tell me how to use it. I'm hoping it will rejuvenate my battery somewhat. Is that likely?
So I imagine I will hook it up for a couple of days and just monitor the CTEK status. It should tell me when it is finished. Beyond that, how often do you use it?
Incidentally the Stop/Start system stopped working some months ago. That could be because of the battery condition.
We will see.
Thanks again
Hugh,
I connect my battery tender to the charging points under the bonnet and it seems the XF X260 has the same set-up. Works perfectly for me so it should for you as well.
As long as the battery is not too far gone a day or two at most on the CTEK will bring it fully back to life.
I put the tender on mine pretty much every time I'm not using the car, I have the pigtail connector hard-wired to the charging points so it's a 10 second job to connect or disconnect and I don't even have to unlock the car let alone open the bonnet or boot.
Yes, a main battery that is less than 100% charged and healthy will cause the Stop/Start system to stop working.

Last edited by OzXFR; 07-31-2023 at 07:59 PM.
Grant Francis (07-31-2023), hcardle (07-31-2023), Jkel72 (07-31-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 07:21 PM

Mmm. I might need more details of how you have it hooked up. Let me get it first and try it out. It might be obvious.

Jkel72 (08-01-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Mmm. I might need more details of how you have it hooked up. Let me get it first and try it out. It might be obvious.
Nup, how I have it hooked up on my F-Type is unusual/not obvious and to the best of my knowledge no-one else has done the same.
I drilled a small hole in the under-bonnet positive connection and bolted the eyelet of the positive pigtail cable to it with a 10 mm nut and bolt, and then unscrewed the adjacent earth/ground post, slipped the negative cable eyelet under the bottom and bolted it back down. Dunno if the X260 is the same.
Also to get the red plastic cap on the positive connection to fit back over the pigtail cable I had to cut a slot in the underside of the cap and that took some doing as that plastic is hard as a rock! The plug end of the pigtail cable then hangs down just below the edge of the bonnet when in use with enough slack to make it easy to plug the tender in, when not in use it tucks up out of sight under the edge of the bonnet, between the bonnet and the plastic lining piece underneath, again I dunno if it could be done this way on an X260.
Here's a pic showing the connections:

Hr

Grant Francis (08-03-2023), hcardle (07-31-2023), Jkel72 (08-01-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Nup, how I have it hooked up on my F-Type is unusual/not obvious and to the best of my knowledge no-one else has done the same.
I drilled a small hole in the under-bonnet positive connection and bolted the eyelet of the positive pigtail cable to it with a 10 mm nut and bolt, and then unscrewed the adjacent earth/ground post, slipped the negative cable eyelet under the bottom and bolted it back down. Dunno if the X260 is the same.
Also to get the red plastic cap on the positive connection to fit back over the pigtail cable I had to cut a slot in the underside of the cap and that took some doing as that plastic is hard as a rock! The plug end of the pigtail cable then hangs down just below the edge of the bonnet when in use with enough slack to make it easy to plug the tender in, when not in use it tucks up out of sight under the edge of the bonnet, between the bonnet and the plastic lining piece underneath, again I dunno if it could be done this way on an X260.
Here's a pic showing the connections:

Hr
Genius. Thanks for taking the time to add photo. explains it perfectly.

Jkel72 (08-01-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 11:19 PM

Received my CTEK yesterday and hooked it up. I just used the croc clips for now. I did have a look at hooking up permanently but the pigtail is too short to get it to edge of engine bay so if I need to open the bonnet I might as well just use the clips.
Left it overnight and it seemed to complete OK.
Still no auto Start/Stop so I have hooked up CTEK again. Stop/Start doesn't bother me that much I just like things to be right.
I might need to get the battery checked again. It was at 66% when I had car serviced.
I checked the Engineers screen and there is no mention of Stop/Start.
If this is because the car has learned my driving style can I make it unlearn? How can I reset the system to default?
Other reasons;-
  • Intelligent stop/start is deactivated.
  • The vehicle's battery charge is low.
  • The driver's seat belt is not fastened.
  • The external temperature is less than approximately 0°C.
  • The external temperature is more than approximately 40°C.
  • The engine has not reached its operating temperature.
  • Demand from the Climate control system requires the engine to be running, for example, when in Defrost mode, and
  • A shift paddle has been used to select a gear

Old 08-03-2023, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member

On most modern Jags including I think the X260 you can reset the electrical system simply by disconnecting the battery for a short while (20 seconds is usually enough) then reconnecting it. On the F-Type at least and I am fairly sure the X260 as well the easiest way to do this is to disconnect the earth/ground lead - the black cable which runs from the negative battery terminal to a stud on the floor of the boot - simply undo the nut which holds that cable down to the stud and remove the cable off the stud (then hold it up and away from any metal connection for 20 or so seconds). This most likely will reset your stop/start system and get it working again, on the F-Type at least this process often clears all sorts of electrical gremlins caused by a low battery.
Also I recommend you buy a battery charge/condition tester, plenty on Fleabay going cheap.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Grant Francis (08-03-2023), hcardle (08-03-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 08:55 PM

So after another round of reconditioning I still have no Start/Stop. I tried disconnecting battery, still nothing.
I suspect lazy techs at Solitaire accidentally disabled it, or they thought they were doing me a favour.
I will get a battery tester and check it has sufficiently recovered.
I hooked up my CAM OBD2 device to have a look but I got no connection. I got power but no comms. Does Jag block the port?
Is there any independent mechanics with SDD capabilityt?

Old 08-22-2023, 11:55 PM

If the battery condition code has been set it may need to be reset even though the battery has now been reconditioned.
I will need another OBD2 device to read and reset error codes. I believe there is an option to do a battery replacement.
There is plenty of info here on suitable devices. Some are very expensive. Is it necessary to spend a lot to get reasonable functionality or will this be good enough? BAFX

Old 08-23-2023, 02:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,856 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Pretty sure a 2017 XF would have an AGM battery from the factory so that's your first choice. .....
As you will know, there's lots of discussion across the model forums about replacement battery choice in general and AGM versus Wet in particular. As far as I can tell for this era models, Jaguar fitted AGM when the vehicle has Intelligent Stop/Start.

..... Still no auto Start/Stop so I have hooked up CTEK again. Stop/Start doesn't bother me that much I just like things to be right.
Intelligent Stop/Start certainly divides opinion. Some members love it, others loathe it. It's on my F-Pace but disabled. This was done by disconnection and is easily reversible. Yours may be the same. Have a look for a module like this near the battery. Both F-Pace and F-Type have this so it's likely XF is the same:

If the plug is disconnected, simply push it back in the re-activate Stop/Start.

Graham

hcardle (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member

Yep, I'm fairly sure the X260 has the same set-up as the XE and F-Type for stop/start so it's very possible that plug has been pulled.
I am in the "I hate stop/start" camp so disabling it was the very first thing I did on the F-Type, then a few years later I removed the secondary battery entirely. Different set-up on the early F-Type, dual batteries for stop/start vs the later models and the X260 with just a single battery.
When I run a scan using my iCarsoft V2.0 I get a DTC, can't remember which one.
Hugh - I upgraded from an iCarsoft i930 to the V2.0 and I have no use for the i930, I am sure the i930 will work on your X260 so you can have it if you want it, just let me know via PM. If your stop/start plug has been pulled it should show the same code as I get and anyway a decent code scanner is a must have on a modern Jag.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
GGG (08-23-2023), Grant Francis (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 04:06 AM

Thanks Graham.
I'm not so bothered about having the Start/Stop feature but more that the car has a problem and this is just a symptom.
I'm sure its to do with the battery being reduced in capacity. But now I believe I have resurrected that and I still don't have full control of the cars functions. I wonder what else is disabled?

The following 2 users liked this post by hcardle:
GGG (08-23-2023), Jkel72 (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 04:22 AM
Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Graham.
I'm not so bothered about having the Start/Stop feature but more that the car has a problem and this is just a symptom.
I'm sure its to do with the battery being reduced in capacity. But now I believe I have resurrected that and I still don't have full control of the cars functions. I wonder what else is disabled?

I have some gremlins as well. I have hooked up to a charger and topped it up, some gremlins are better some are still there.
disconnected the -ve terminal as +ve is difficult to get at. About the same.
I’d like to fix the gremlin but not too stressed.
suggestions?
will by independent mechanic be able to diagnose?

Old 08-23-2023, 04:56 AM
GGG
Received 16,856 Likes on 12,186 Posts

...... Different set-up on the early F-Type, dual batteries for stop/start vs the later models and the X260 with just a single battery. .....
My Bentley Continental GT was dual battery like that - I x AGM + 1 x Wet. The Bentley is even more sensitive to battery condition than Jaguars!

F-Pace just has the single battery and I hook up my CTEK to it the same way you do with the F-Type.

Graham

Old 08-25-2023, 10:33 PM

I plugged it in and the X260 wasnt listed so I updated the iCarsoft and tried again. When I run the diagnose option i only get door modules and keyless entry come up.
There are no codes listed. clearing codes does nothing.
When I run OBD2 diagnose i get communications failure and now i have a permanent gearbox fault, no stability control and no special modes are available.
It drives terrible.
What now?
I might ask in the x260 section.

Old 09-12-2023, 08:43 PM

It seems my battery is now down to 55%. Supercheap tested it.
I started phoning around yesterday to try and save a few dollars. So far $450 up to $611 (Independent Batteries).
I have run another cycle with the Ctek but I think it is too late to recover it. Lesson Learnt.
Might need to just bite the bullet.
Any supplier suggestions?

Quick Reply: Battery