LED headlights allowed in Vic

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 07:53 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default LED headlights allowed in Vic

Hi there
I want to change my headlights to LED. The available rating from PrecisionLED is either 6000k or 8000k. Is there some guide as to what is legal on Vic roads? Thanks

Old 07-26-2022, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,265 Posts

Originally Posted by Rober2
Hi there
I want to change my headlights to LED. The available rating from PrecisionLED is either 6000k or 8000k. Is there some guide as to what is legal on Vic roads? Thanks
I dont think you will get the simple answer you are looking for. Headlights are a Federal matter covered by Australian Design Rules so it not really a matter of being legal in VIC. The VicRoads website gives guidance on add on spotlights and bars but doesnt address headlights as they are an ADR item.

If you want to go this route I think its a matter of trying it and seeing if you start getting flashed for dazzling people. In the end it would come down to some coppers opinion ( I may be on the wrong wavelength here as you didnt say what beams you wanr to do , i assume both)

I recently updated the headlights in my car with higher performance low beams and added a light bar as the high beams were ok. I live regionally so need to be able to see the wildlife at night.

Old 07-26-2022, 06:24 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks, I will check the federal requirements or just ask my mechanic. I checked the Vicroads requirement, and you are correct; all they have are additions rather than the actual headlights. Try it out and wait for others to flash in case it's too dazzling? So, what rating did you replace your low beam with? Thanks

Old 07-27-2022, 02:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,265 Posts

Originally Posted by Rober2
Thanks, I will check the federal requirements or just ask my mechanic. I checked the Vicroads requirement, and you are correct; all they have are additions rather than the actual headlights. Try it out and wait for others to flash in case it's too dazzling? So, what rating did you replace your low beam with? Thanks
I didnt even look at ratings, I just bought the correct H number and went for the marketing 150% brighter than standard version. Result was good and I have a nice white low beam now instead of dismal yellow lights. This was actually spurred by the light bar addition as I had quite good depth and a nice white light with wide cover on high beams and switching back to low beam was just plain disturbing.