Space saver spare.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 05:50 PM
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Space saver spare.

Hi all, just a quick account of a recent issue I had on the way to work one morning in my 95 x300.
In the interested of full disclosure, I take total responsibility for driving on a rear tyres that were way past there used by date with one having a show leak, I had hoped to nurse these along for a few more km.
Anyhow on the way to work at 6am, one of my rear tyres not only went flat but damn near disintegrated on a freeway. I jumped out and quickly grabbed the space saver and Jack out of the foam in the boot/trunk. These were not only in what appeared to be good condition but I doubt had ever even been used let alone removed from the car.
15min later I was on my way no problems at all, regretfully the space saver wheel and Tyer only lasted about 3km untill the Tyer again near disintegrated, leaving me to finish my trip in an Uber
I later learned, speaking with a guy at highway Tyers that, rubber only lasts around 5 years before becoming hard. So although my space saver wheel and Tyer had probably never been used and looked brand new, the Tyer was in fact 29 years old and basically fell apart as soon as I tried to drive on it. Additionally that because these tyers are rarly used or replaced they are almost impossible to purchase new. Commenting that if I could find one it would be Worth a fortune.
Now I'm left with the decision of whether to drive around without a spare, purchase a second hand space saver from a wreckers that would fill the spot but possibly be just as old and useless, or purchase a second hand full size wheel with new Tyer to use as a spare although I'm unsure if this would fit in the boot.
Any thoughts are welcome along with offers from locals who may have a spare space saver or wheel laying around they wouldn't mind parting with.

Old 03-21-2024, 04:07 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyB10
.....I later learned, speaking with a guy at highway Tyers that, rubber only lasts around 5 years before becoming hard. ......
As understand it, the hardening process begins immediately but gradually and is accelerated by exposure to UV light. I've always worked on 10 years as maximum useable tyre life regardless of remaining tread after receiving the same advice from several respected suppliers. Either way, 29 years was putting your spacesaver in the "decorative only" category.

My X300 had a Pirelli Spacesaver T115/85 R18 with original tread depth of 3.0 mm and recommended pressure of 60 psi. I've checked suppliers here in the UK and this size is listed by a few but all are showing "out of stock" so the suggestion you are unlikely to source a new replacement is probably also true in Australia. No one ever replaces them consequently little or no demand.

I've only had to use a spacesaver twice and it is definitely better than the alternative of a sealant kit and electric inflator pump which is all I have on my XK. If it had the space, I'd carry a full size spare but there's only sufficient for a Spacesaver. With the X300 and X308, a full size spare can be carried by lifting the luggage compartment floor panel to the top slot:

I'd go with a full size as a spare rather than a spacesaver from a wrecker which is likely to go the same way as your original if you try to use it.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
MikeyB10 (03-22-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 10:21 PM
Received 186 Likes on 87 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up Mikey. Another thing to worry about as the vehicle ages! I think I could probably carry a normal-size rim and tyre (not one of the rears!) in the XF by removing the subwoofer from under the spare wheel. I am probably not going to do this though.

The following users liked this post:
MikeyB10 (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 03:54 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I always carry a tyre plug kit and a 12 volt inflator pump. Plenty different plug kits available but the "mushroom" plug is better than the "string". Here's an example:

Most tyre depots won't touch a tyre that's been repaired with sealant and they charge a fortune to clean the rim. The mushroom plug is very effective and can easily be replaced with a permanent patch repair at a tyre depot.

Graham

Old 06-03-2024, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,265 Posts

" Either way, 29 years was putting your spacesaver in the "decorative only" category. "

I have a coffee table (fancy term for a small table that I put junk on) in my garage
Its is a 30 plus year old spare mag wheel and metric tyre spare from an old BMW, that I took out for the very reason Mikey mentions
It sits on a couple of 6x6 pieces of timber and has a perspex disc covering the wheel face to form a low table
As you say, decorative only

Old 06-03-2024, 03:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 2,412 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
I always carry a tyre plug kit and a 12 volt inflator pump. Plenty different plug kits available but the "mushroom" plug is better than the "string". Here's an example:

Most tyre depots won't touch a tyre that's been repaired with sealant and they charge a fortune to clean the rim. The mushroom plug is very effective and can easily be replaced with a permanent patch repair at a tyre depot.

Graham
+1 for a plug kit, this is the exact same one as I have: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/35539080...3ABFBMzPSS0vtj
It seems they have gone up a lot in price, I bought mine some seven or eight years ago and it was less than half the current price!
Anyway I have used my kit twice, both times on the left rear of the F-Type, and both times it was quick and easy. Once for a nail and once for a screw, and I never bothered to get either puncture professionally repaired and that tyre is still going strong several years later.
It can be done on the side of the road and possibly without even removing the wheel from the car if you can spot the offending nail or screw easily, but in both my cases I drove a few km home then removed the wheel and did it up on my workbench. For a roadside repair you will need a pair of pliers or similar to extract the offending object so I have a pair in my on-board toolkit. Also a plug can only be used for a smallish hole which is nowhere near the sidewall of the tyre (which luckily for me was the case both times) and anyway that is by far the most common type of puncture.

Old 06-18-2024, 02:42 AM
jya
Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

Yes, I've run my space saver a few times when it would have been around 18 years old, but never exceed 80kmh. It's over 20 years old now so a bit of a worry.
Despite the factory supplied space saver, fortunately the X202 boot pressing fits a full size rim.
I've thought of changing over to a full size rim as a spare, that fits/has same offset but not many options for my car that I know of. I think one of the Ford XR5 may have had a similar offset.
Love to know if anyone's found a successful option.

Never tried to buy a kit. Makes sense to carry one. Below seems okay for around $28 on TEMU.

https://www.temu.com/au/horusdy-108-...232_gj6r9715zb

Old 06-19-2024, 04:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,265 Posts

When I need to change to a standard spare from a metric size in my BMW, I had a hell of a time finding anyone interested in dealing the problem.

I ended up getting a wheel made by a shop in QLD. They do final machining on blanks that meet the basic spec. The price was very reasonable for a one off.

They had a fantastic attitude and where interested in solving the problem. May be overkill for what you want , but they are handy to know about.

https://purnelltyres.com.au/wheels/