Canada All Canadian members please post here...

Canadians Importing US Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default be very picky - cautious - honest...

I brought our XK8 up from Florida. A couple of observations, and some reinforcment of statements others have made. Don't you just love when people keep an aging thread alive?

1. Be upfront and honest. Don't hide what you paid, keep copies of ads, reciepts for money taken with you (be sure to declare cash you bring down!). They can and will check what you paid.

2. Be cautious, just because it's a US car doesn't make it a good car. I found many hot climate problems, bad bushings, fade, etc.. I also found an undeclared Katrina car; it had rust through in parts that don't even get surface rust. In the end I looked at about 30 XK8s, many were good in photos but not live. I bought a very nice car in the end.

3. Be sure to have your paper work in hand. I thought I had it all, I sent copies to the border, they said I had all I needed, but when I arrived I found in addition to an ownership I also needed a title - I had to rent a car to get home and return a day or two later.

4. Don't listen to your local Jaguar dealer in Canada if they claim they need to do everything. Research. Call RIV. The Toronto area dealers quoted $500 for a recall letter, and $500 for enabling the day time running lights. The Jaugar dealer in Palm Beach inspected my car, changed my oil and filters, arranged the letter, and set the day time running lights on for less than $200.

At the time of purchase including my one way flight, meals, and motel I still saved a solid $5,000 to 7,000 over what a similar car was selling for in Toronto. I think the gaps may have narrorwed in the last two years, but with exchange, a better supply of cars to select from, and the fact that the list prices seemed to be lower when new (different exchange rate at the time?), the deals are good.

Good luck.

Last edited by UKAuto; 11-07-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I imported a 2002 Merc SL500 5 years ago, having found a special edition that was not available in Canada. Delighted that I did and still love the car. I will suggest one caution - selling US cars in Canada can be slightly more challenging as many buyers get scared off by a US car. Similarly, I investigated trading for a newer version, but the 2 M-B dealers I spoke with had very little interest in my car as a trade - tougher for them to sell or wholesale. Unless you plan to hold onto the imported car for some number of years, purchase savings might be offset by a lower re-sale. Not necessarily, but one more piece of food for thought.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
I have imported a number of used jags from the US, the cheapest way to get the car and paperwork for the canadian border is to have it done in the US.
Even if you don't buy the car from a jag dealer make it a condition of the purchase that the nearest jag dealer programs daylight running lights and issues a letter saying there are no recalls.

On the first jag I bought in I did the US customs 72 hour notification, however when I got to the Canadian customs I noticed that they had no interest in the US documents ( I believe the US just wants to try and keep track of US vehicles). I have bought in 2 more cars since and have not done the US customs exit requirement without any problems.

I have had all of my purchases shipped up to Seattle, you can get them shipped from just about anywhere in the states for around $1000 which is usually cheaper that flying down and driving back.

Finally check the RIV canada site to make sure the car is on their okay to import list.
pn4sure
64 Jag MK2/xjr6
06 XKR

Old 12-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by pn4sure
Hi,
I have imported a number of used jags from the US, the cheapest way to get the car and paperwork for the canadian border is to have it done in the US.
Even if you don't buy the car from a jag dealer make it a condition of the purchase that the nearest jag dealer programs daylight running lights and issues a letter saying there are no recalls.

On the first jag I bought in I did the US customs 72 hour notification, however when I got to the Canadian customs I noticed that they had no interest in the US documents ( I believe the US just wants to try and keep track of US vehicles). I have bought in 2 more cars since and have not done the US customs exit requirement without any problems.

I have had all of my purchases shipped up to Seattle, you can get them shipped from just about anywhere in the states for around $1000 which is usually cheaper that flying down and driving back.

Finally check the RIV canada site to make sure the car is on their okay to import list.
pn4sure
64 Jag MK2/xjr6
06 XKR
I have often wondered about bypassing the US side. but since I am a Nexus member and often travel to the States for business, I'll probably go through the process anyway. But why 72 hours? seems a bit excessive to me.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

PN4sure,

What is the tax situation? I understand that CBSA wants 5% GST, plus 6% duty, but did you have to pay provincial tax when registering it in BC?

Thanks

Old 01-06-2013, 01:49 PM

Yes you have to pay provincial sales tax also, so total in taxes is 18% in BC

Old 01-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

Good information, thanks. The various taxes, duties, and fees can really add up.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:29 AM

Hey guys, I actually just imported my Jag last week from illinois. A bit of a pain in the ***, but worth it nontheless. Im positive I saved a few bucks, but that remains to be seen as the car doesn't run yet and needs a rear panel pulled

What I also wanted to point out is that some ports of entry have different rules on the export notifications. All are 72 hours, however some just ask you to email them the vin and vehicle description (white, 4 door sedan, etc.) some are more of a pain because you have to fax over the title and often the title they reviece through the fax is unlegible & they proceed to give you **** once you arrive. I try to avoid importing into Canada through those ports of entry. Emailing is a lot simple...er.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

just a note, I brought in a jag last weekend, piece of cake if you download the RIV checklist. Also they didn't start the 72 clock until I called the US boarder to see if they received the fax. And I had the lights and recall letter as a condition of sale and it cost me nothing. $500 at the dealer in Halifax if I had waited

Old 05-28-2013, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 386 Posts

Does anyone know of problems if l ship my Florida reg car from the UK to Halifax the drive slowly down the East coast after a short visit around Canada.
I have read that a US car can be used in Canada without problems.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:22 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by malc4d
Does anyone know of problems if l ship my Florida reg car from the UK to Halifax the drive slowly down the East coast after a short visit around Canada.
I have read that a US car can be used in Canada without problems.
You're not purchasing and importing a car into Canada with the goal of registering it here, so none of the above discussion applies.

The biggest concern would be making sure your insurance is valid while in Canada/US.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:36 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
You're not purchasing and importing a car into Canada with the goal of registering it here, so none of the above discussion applies.

The biggest concern would be making sure your insurance is valid while in Canada/US.
If you have Florida plates then there is nothing to do. UK plates - that could be a diff story - perhaps contact the Nova Scotia Ministry of Transport to see if a temp premit is required.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey

Insurance is a big deal, make sure yours if valid for Canada, only a few dollars to add it to your existing insurance if not. Hopefully you don't have a Canadian license as Canadians are prohibited from driving US registered cars in Canada. Not that anyone notices the ones that do. Not a problem if you carry a license from anywhere else. Enjoy the trip Highlights in New Brunswick: Fundy Trail, Bay of Fundy, City of Saint John, Hopewell rocks.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Fulton
Hopefully you don't have a Canadian license as Canadians are prohibited from driving US registered cars in Canada.
Not quite true- If I had friends visiting from the US with their car, there's nothing illegal about me driving it.

We're not allowed to import a vehicle into Canada with the intent of keeping the out of country plates. Must get it legally imported and plated within X number of days.

Same regs apply to our US or EU cousins bringing a car into their home country.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks all.
Jag has Florida registration and covered for Canada on insurance (will double check) and my license is also Floridian.
Now saving up for gas....v12 5.3 cant pass a gas station without having to pop in to say hello.
Will the ferry to Boston area be working again this summer ?
Driven across many European borders without problems, how is the Canadian/USA border crossing. anything l need to know ?

Old 05-29-2013, 06:30 PM

Will the ferry to Boston area be working again this summer ?
Driven across many European borders without problems, how is the Canadian/USA border crossing. anything l need to know ?
You might want to start a separate thread for these question in another section since they have nothing to do with the original subject or title. Not sure if anyone reading the Canadian section would have relevant experience given the unusual circumstances you seem to have.

The Canada/US Border is just under 5500 Km in length not counting Alaska with around 120 separate immigration and customs points so asking 'how is the crossing' is a little vague.

Not familiar with any ferries going Boston- never heard of one in fact.

The following users liked this post:
malc4d (05-30-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, a question to MOHRD....
you said
<<I had the dealer switch to day time driving lights before I flew down to pick her up.>>

How much do you think the modification cost $$$?

Thanks in advance, Dominic

Old 09-03-2013, 07:06 AM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

how is the Canadian/USA border crossing. anything l need to know ?
Driving from the USA to Canada is easy, just show your papers and your in. You will not even be asked to get out of your car.

Going the other way is an absolute pain for British Visitors. You will have to park your car and visit the office to fill out papers and sign your life away before they will let you enter. Not a friendly procedure by any means but that is the States today.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

Hope it wont be so bad i'm a US resident. The ferry company in the UK doesn't seem to know how to do the paper work on a US reg car transiting Canada only. Now if it was a UK car being imported.......well

Old 05-05-2014, 02:58 PM

Resurrecting and old thread here. I know the RIV process, but are the daytime running lights the only modification necessary for an XF or XKR? The US issue speedo is OK? If I understand the thread here, if a get the recall letter and the daytime running lights modified by Jaguar USA, I don't have to make a visit to the Canadian Jaguar dealer. All I have to do is take the car to the inspection station (a Canadian Tire in my case)? Also, does the Canada-EU free trade deal mean that Jags come in duty free (just HST) now?

Quick Reply: Canadians Importing US Vehicles