Canada All Canadian members please post here...

Canadians Importing US Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 06:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat Earth
Resurrecting and old thread here. I know the RIV process, but are the daytime running lights the only modification necessary for an XF or XKR? The US issue speedo is OK? If I understand the thread here, if a get the recall letter and the daytime running lights modified by Jaguar USA, I don't have to make a visit to the Canadian Jaguar dealer. All I have to do is take the car to the inspection station (a Canadian Tire in my case)? Also, does the Canada-EU free trade deal mean that Jags come in duty free (just HST) now?
My info may not be up-to-date as it was over 6 year ago I imported, however, the 4 things at issue were:

1. DRL (which should be an easy fix now)
2. Speedo - had to register in KPH. Mine showed both and though KPH was smaller, it showed so no issues.
3. Bumper - no longer an issue as crash standards are harmonized
4. "Brake" warning light had to be changed to the international symbol. I'm unsure if this is still the case.

I hope this helps.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Resurrecting and old thread here. I know the RIV process, but are the daytime running lights the only modification necessary for an XF or XKR? The US issue speedo is OK? If I understand the thread here, if a get the recall letter and the daytime running lights modified by Jaguar USA, I don't have to make a visit to the Canadian Jaguar dealer. All I have to do is take the car to the inspection station (a Canadian Tire in my case)? Also, does the Canada-EU free trade deal mean that Jags come in duty free (just HST) now?
That's pretty much it. Speedo is no issue, I can't even read the KPH on mine (tiny) and they let it go. Getting the recall letter and running lights are much cheaper in the states and The Maine Jaguar dealer did mine for free, so I skipped the Canadian Jag dealer completely. I paid the GST 5% at the Canadian border and the PST when I registered the car locally. The boarder guard informed me that Canadian Tire is the only place I could go for the initial inspection. The main thing to remember is fax the documents to both sides of the border 72 hours before crossing. And Call Them to confirm receipt! There was a very POed gentleman in line in front of me at the border the dealer had faxed the documents upside down and he had to wait another 72 hours. Make sure the crossing you choose excepts cars, not all do in NB. The whole process is quite easy and well worth the time.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fulton. Thanks for that. It's not just the money saving, but the selection that's available in the US. And I'm more than a little irritated that Jaguar Canada doesn't even have a searchable database for pre-owned.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

And I'm more than a little irritated that Jaguar Canada doesn't even have a searchable database for pre-owned.
That is inconvenient but can be done by searching dealer-by-dealer

Ottawa's Official Land Rover / Jaguar Dealership

Used Vehicles for Sale in Toronto - Used Cars, Used Trucks, Pre-Owned | Jaguar Land Rover Thornhill

Used Jaguar Vehicles for Sale in Montreal | Jaguar Brossard

etc.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:07 AM

Mikey, I know but there's something weird about doing it that way. If I check out pre-owned at Jaguar Ottawa or Bud's in Oakville, I get pushed to a third party site. What's with that? It feels like Jaguar Canada and the dealers are trying to distance themselves from their own pre-owned product.

On another note, anyone dealt with Birkshire in Thornhill?

Last edited by Flat Earth; 05-06-2014 at 11:07 AM. Reason: sp
Old 05-07-2014, 06:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think with Budd's the 3rd party site is just a hosting site - still managed and maintained by Budd's but hosted by someone with usable software. I do agree, though, that it would be beneficial to Jaguar to host a searchable database of not just pre-owned, but also new vehicles. BMW does it - I agree it would be a solid business decision.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:29 AM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

On another note, anyone dealt with Birkshire in Thornhill?

I have only had a couple of interactions with them and found them to be about the same as any other used car dealer. Know your stuff and you will be alright.

I was asked by a potential US purchaser/car collctor to inspect a car for them. I made the appointment to go see the car. When I arrived at Berkshire I found the car had been parked in a corner of the showroom. This made me wonder why, so I had the car pulled out so that I could carefully see all around it. Turned out the car had been in an rear end accident which at a glance, appeared to have been repaired well. However with some careful inspection from the underside and inside the boot area, proved to be a complete utter bodge job. Don't know who did this work. Anyway I wrote my report and gave him my estimation for the value of the car.

The potential buyer apparently did not like what I had reported to him so he had another expert fly in from western Canada to take a look at the car for him. This gentleman gave the okay on the car and the grossly over priced sale went through. I got a letter from the buyer about two months later apologising to me for not listening and doubting my word. He agreed that what I had reported to him was in fact factual and accurate.

So if dealing with them just as you would with any other shop, know your stuff and what it is worth in real dollars.

Last edited by peddlarbob; 05-07-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:19 AM

Thanks PB. Good info to know about Birkshire. He lists some pretty nice Jags on their site and my parents just live nearby so I'll pay him a visit. As long as he's not totally bad...

Old 05-07-2014, 09:40 AM

Mikey, I know but there's something weird about doing it that way. If I check out pre-owned at Jaguar Ottawa or Bud's in Oakville, I get pushed to a third party site. What's with that?
Not sure I follow. Each of the links I gave goes to and stays with the individual dealer's website (?)

Old 05-07-2014, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Not sure I follow. Each of the links I gave goes to and stays with the individual dealer's website (?)
The Toronto ones are fine but Jaguar Ottawa (Ottawa's Official Land Rover / Jaguar Dealership) moves me to a new site touting the merits of a company called IMPORTAUTOLISTING.com. At Budds, the Jaguar dealer in Oakville, hitting the pre-owned Tab and then View Inventory button brings up a pop up window saying:

"This link will take you to a site over which Budds Imported Cars has no control.We assume no responsibility for the content of the material contained at that site or for the accuracy of any information that is found there."

Really?? Why would a new car dealer have to separate the new and used sales and make it obvious that they were doing so?

No nationwide searchable database? Audi, BMW, MB and Porsche all have one, why not Jag?

Old 05-07-2014, 07:37 PM

The Toronto ones are fine but Jaguar Ottawa (Ottawa's Official Land Rover / Jaguar Dealership) moves me to a new site touting the merits of a company called IMPORTAUTOLISTING.com. At Budds, the Jaguar dealer in Oakville, hitting the pre-owned Tab and then View Inventory button brings up a pop up window saying:

"This link will take you to a site over which Budds Imported Cars has no control.We assume no responsibility for the content of the material contained at that site or for the accuracy of any information that is found there."

Really?? Why would a new car dealer have to separate the new and used sales and make it obvious that they were doing so?

No nationwide searchable database? Audi, BMW, MB and Porsche all have one, why not Jag?
Wow- the site at Budds is weird. That redirect would put me off right away.

I do see your point about a centralized database.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just brought my 1996 xj6 across, very little trouble, a couple of cost that upped my price by about $500, but overall easy. Even had someone offer me money for the car once inside the border. But do consider having your car shipped, I was amazed how cheap it was to have it shipped to Calais Maine, cheaper than travel, hotel, food and other person if needed. I may not do it again but it was fun in the end and ended up with a fantastic xj6 in exceptional condition.

James Dow
1996 vdp xj6
green