Canada All Canadian members please post here...

Headlight fix ontario

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 10:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Headlight fix ontario

Both of my headlights are loose on my 2004 x type ( I believe it is the common problem of the adjusters being broken) and now both of my low (dipped) beams are blown. Since it seems like you have to go through the process of removing the bumper and removing the headlight assembly to access the lights I thought it would be a good time to try to replace the entire assembly or repair the adjusters.

It is - 30 today and doesn't look like it is going to warm up anytime soon, and I don't have access to a garage so doing it outside isn't much of an option right now.
I was wondering if there was anyone in ontario (Preferably north of Toronto as I live in Bracebridge, but am willing to drive where ever i need to) that might either have the entire headlight assembly or the repair kit I could purchase. Also if there was anyone on here that has gone through the process of either the repair or replacement that has a garage/shop that would be able to do the repair or help me do it. I am not looking for it to be done for free and would rather give money to someone on here for the assistance

any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-24-2015, 08:33 AM

well it warmed up enough this weekend to try to change the low beam bulbs again.

I found out it is possible to change change them ( as long as you don't mind having more skin under the hood of the car than on your hands at the end of it) and doing most of it by feel as it is very hard to see anything after your hands are in there. One trick I did discover however ( not sure if it is an x type problem or all jags) is when you go to reattach the cover, there isn't enough room to get your hand in to pull the clip back over the cover.

If you have kids and a trampoline use the hook shaped tool that removes the spring to grab the clip and pull it to lock the cover in place. Another tool that I actually found worked as well was a nail puller ( not sure what everyone else calls it but it is essentially just the back of a hammer that is attached to a handle) it also fits into the small space nicely and grabs the clip easily.

I will still have to do the headlight fix in the future so I am still interested if there is anyone out there that might be willing to offer advice/assistance but at least I have headlights again.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:17 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Hi-

I guess you've noticed that there's very little traffic in this section of the board over the winter as many of us store our cars or just plain head into hibernation ourselves.

Things will pick up soon.

Mike

Old 02-24-2015, 09:55 AM
Default thanks

thanks Mikey

Yes that is what I figured Not too many of us fools out there that drive them all year round.

looking forward to the spring however and hopefully get out to a couple meets this year