Canada All Canadian members please post here...

headlights and seatbelt lock problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 08:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default headlights and seatbelt lock problems

Hi Guys
I just joined up after researching and reading a bunch of post. I am from the muskoka area in Ontario (which is why I went with the AWD X type,) and this is the first jaguar I have owned after owning a few BMW's

I just bought a 2004 Jaguar X Type a week ago and already have some questions. I have read through the previous posts about some of the headlight wiring problems and they have answered most of my questions but I have one that is probably so stupid it hasn't been asked before as it is probably an obvious answer, but here goes:

A previous owner I believe has had issues with the headlight wiring, because when I turn on the headlight switch without the ignition on, only the small light ( in with the highbeam light, inside light) lights up, I assume that this is the daytime running lights. When I start the car the outside lights (low beam I believe) and the parking lights light up automatically) and by turning the actual light switch inside the car the only difference is that the interior dash lights come on.

Now the low beam light appears very dim ( i thought it was only the daytime running lights that were on) and the first night I drove it in the darkl I had to have the fog lights on to see anything unless I had the high beams on. When I got home and looked all lights appeared normal. I went and bought new bulbs anyhow and replaced them and haven't driven in the dark yet but they appear about the same brightness. (the one thing I noticed was that the entire headlihght system seemed to float around within the assembly but always seemed to go back to the original position)

So now the stupid part of my issue. Obviously someone changed the wiring so all the lights come on as soon as the car is started but since it appears that the daytime lights are wired to the light switch i need to know if there could possibly be a voltage difference that would go to the driving light compared to the low beam lights. I would assume not and that it would be the same and just the bulb output would be different but wanted to check before going forward .

Also wondering if anyone knows any place that I could get a good aftermarket seatbelt buckle ( lock) without going to the dealer, as mine only allows the seatbelt to go into the lock if you push the realease buttton

I appologize for the long drawn out explanation and also if i should have posted in a different area but wanted to check on the canadian forum first.

Thanks for any replys.