Canada All Canadian members please post here...

Hello - New Owner from Toronto

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello - New Owner from Toronto

Hello Everyone,
Just bought my Jag and I'm trying to figure out a couple of things:
1) Rust - I drive from garage to garage, and I understand this is actually quite bad for corrosion in the winter. I never done any rust proofing to my previous cars and they all got ugly surface rust spots around 7-8 year mark. What kind of treatments would you recommend, is there any particular shop around the GTA that does a good job that you would recommend? (imagining my beautiful jag getting rust spots keeps me up at night)
2) Mechanic - Anyone has a recommendation for a good mechanic in the GTA? I see that McNally does Jaguars. I actually used him for my Mercedes, however I discovered him much later in my car's life and didn't have long experience with him. I found that it took forever to book an appointment with them as they are very popular with the online crowd.
Thanks!

Old 02-01-2021, 08:19 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,171 Likes on 818 Posts

welcome to the club @Goashem . I don’t rust proof my cars. I do keep them clean and very well maintained. I have no rust issues except for the steel subframe which I will get to having painted... one of these days.
Others may/ will disagree, but I have exceptional and cost friendly service at my dealer. The very few times I did not go to a dealer, I had to have the work corrected... As a result I will never use aftermarket brakes or bushings again.
Jaguars are particular about their maintenance... Those not familiar with the car can perform more harm than good.

Old 02-01-2021, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by guy
welcome to the club @Goashem . I don’t rust proof my cars. I do keep them clean and very well maintained. I have no rust issues except for the steel subframe which I will get to having painted... one of these days.
Others may/ will disagree, but I have exceptional and cost friendly service at my dealer. The very few times I did not go to a dealer, I had to have the work corrected... As a result I will never use aftermarket brakes or bushings again.
Jaguars are particular about their maintenance... Those not familiar with the car can perform more harm than good.
Thank you for your reply!

I'm assuming you mostly keep the jag in the garage as well?

Old 02-02-2021, 06:17 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,171 Likes on 818 Posts

The xkr is in the garage but I do drive it year round. Including to ski country and on dirt/gravel roads. She has 150,000 kms and was born in 2007.
The Land Rover sleeps outside;-). He has 110,000 kms. Born in 2013.
Take a look at my signature block. I’ve had a few Jags. And I drive them hard but do maintain them properly.

The following users liked this post:
Goashem (02-02-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Use Krown oil spray treatment, it works very well but is very mess for a week or so after application. Don't park it in your driveway/garage until it finishes dripping.

Some say modern cars don't need to be rustproofed. I disagree.

Some rust treatments are actually harmful to the car. Never use tar underspray - they do more harm than good.