Canada All Canadian members please post here...

Prowling Vancouver Island

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Prowling Vancouver Island

Bought my 1991 XJS convertible in December, been tiddling it up and taking care of a few semi-serious repairs but we are ready to hit the highway here on the Island. Who needs to pay high ferry fares to cruise the crowded highways of the mainland anyway? We've got plenty of open road and sites to see. Hope to see more of us cat people over here this spring and summer. I'll be the one enthusiastically waving as you whiz by.

Cheers all,

Don

Old 04-14-2013, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Sounds like a fun summer Don. The Island does have some nice roads, but I seldom drive them because of the ferry costs you mentioned.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I took her out yesterday for a serious shakedown cruise as I wasn't totally confident in the rad hose I replaced (lower rad hose, a MacKay brand and I had a h*ll of a time getting it on) afraid it might just pop off and spew coolant all over the highway 100 kms from home. Anyway it didn't and I had a fabulous, fall-in-love-all-over-again 3 hour drive, the highlight was the run up highway 18 to Lake Cowichan. It's 20 km, 100 kmh, banked corners and smooth pavement. Just purrfect! There's little traffic on the weekends, lots of logging trucks weekdays. I have to admit, I put my right foot down a little more than the law allows a couple of times (maybe most of the time) and still had lots of G forces to go. I think my speedo must be wrong, I wasn't actually doing 150 kmh I don't think. WoW! I'm satisfied she's purring fine and ready for a day's run to Tofino or Port Hardy, both great highways to drive.
On my way home I came up behind a couple in an XJ6C with vintage plates. I wove through the traffic until I could come up alongside and we waved. He is local by the looks of his plate surround so will be meeting them again. Also on the road yesterday I had a late '40s, early '50s Rolls Royce with Washington plates on my stern for a while. I slowed down so I could have him in my rear views for a while. Beautiful car.

Last edited by Don's Cat; 04-15-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: To add the last paragraph.