Canada All Canadian members please post here...

Sunoco/PetroCan 'Ultra 94' vs Shell 'VPower 91' gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 02:59 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by peddlarbob

The vehicle manufacturers site I found is apparently based in Australia so I thought that would disqualify it. So I left it out. However I do offer this list.

Automobiles

* Manufacturers that prohibit use of E10 fuel or issue warnings include:

Ferrari - Prohibits use of E10 fuel - "...we suggest that our customers not use alcohol fuel in our vehicles.".

Hyundai - E10 warnings/precautions only - Quote, "If your engine develops driveability problems, the use of 100% unleaded gasoline is recommended.".

Kia -E10 warnings/precautions only- Quote, "Discontinue using gasahol of any kind if driveability problems occur...".

Porsche - E10 warnings/precautions only- Quote, "...change to a different fuel or station if any of the following problems occur: deterioration of driveability and performance, substantially reduced fuel economy, vapor lock, and engine malfunction or stalling".

Volkswagen/Audi - E10 warnings/precautions only - Quote, "If you experience a loss of fuel economy or driveability and performance problems due to the use of [ethanol blends], we recommend that you switch to unblended fuel.".

Manufacturers that allow use of E10 fuel includes:

Bentley - BMW - DaimlerChrysler - Ford - General Motors - Honda/Acura - Hyundai - Isuzu - Jaguar - Kia - Land Rover - Mazda - Mercedes-Benz - Mitsubishi - Nissan/Infiniti - Porsche - Rolls Royce - Saab - Subaru - Suzuki - Toyota - Volkswagen/Audi - Volvo

This info is from the same snake oil salesman as the other link. It's the guy selling fuel testing kits.

Maunufacturer Ethanol E10 Fuel Recommendations

Nevertheless, in all of the above, there is only Ferrari that 'prohibits' the use of E10. All the others have a warning/caution to switch back to pure gas if issues arise. The issues are strictly to do with driveability.

Let's compare that typical verbage from Jaguar:

"Most drivers will not notice any operating difference with fuel containing ethanol. If a difference is detected, the use of conventional unleaded fuel should be resumed."

Pretty much same-same as Kia, Hyundai and P/VW/A. The owners manuals in all my other modern cars, on the same list as Jag as being 'approved' for use of E10, also contain a similar caution so the author of this article has inconsistently placed the cars on separate lists. No idea why.

I dug a little to what the issue was with respect to Ferrari. Seems some models have aluminum alloy gas tanks and there's fear that water-laced E10 could cause a corrosion issue. I then contacted a buddy back in Montreal who owns a few. To my surprise, he was completly unaware of the ethanol issue (he's a driving enthusiast but not a motorhead) and stated that he's been filling up 'at whatever gas station is closest' for the last few decades.

Never had a problem. I have an early '80s racing bike with an aluminum fuel tank. Took a look, no damage.

Don't know whether to quote Chicken Little or the Bard on this one but it seems once again it's much ado about nothing in the sky is falling.

Happy New Year to all!

Old 01-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Robinb
This is why I prefer to get my gas from "responsible" vendors who constantly check on free water in holding tanks.
Originally Posted by Mikey
I think we all agree on that, and this practice holds true whether E10 or pure gas.
Not quite all. Your Ferrari-owner friend stops at 'whatever gas station is closest', but presumably uses ethanol-free premium so is not at as much risk. Has he read the manual?.

Contaminated fuel will stop an engine cold in it's tracks no matter the type.
If the contaminant is free water, with or without sludge, you are correct.
If the contaminant is a water-ethanol mixture, it has the potential as a lean fuel to cause engine damage. However, such contamination can only occur with E10.

Anyhow, apart from some hard feelings toward DuPont and snake-oil salesmen, and a residual feeling of distrust for E10, it has been a fascinating debate. Thanks to all, and time to move on.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:31 PM

Not quite all. Your Ferrari-owner friend stops at 'whatever gas station is closest', but presumably uses ethanol-free premium so is not at as much risk. Has he read the manual?.

You presume wrong. Not all premium fuel is ethanol free.

Much like the vast majority of people who just drive their cars, he has not read the manual. He pays no attention to whether the fuel has ethanol or not, also like the majority of car owners. As to source of fuel, he has also not had any problems with buying from supposed 'off brands' including Satan Costco. Jut like the vast majority of car owners.

If the contaminant is free water, with or without sludge, you are correct.
If the contaminant is a water-ethanol mixture, it has the potential as a lean fuel to cause engine damage. However, such contamination can only occur with E10.
On the contrary, it takes only a small % of water in fuel (any type of fuel) to stop a motor. The mixture just won't ignite. The engine will not be damaged due to a lean mixture, it will quit long before anything so drastic occurs. Old myth.

Last edited by Mikey; 01-01-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:27 PM

Mikey, read my words carefully....

I do not presume that all premium is ethanol-free. I said that your friend was presumably using ethanol-free premium, as mandated by Ferrari.

And again...

Show me an automotive engineer (other than yourself) who thinks that a lean water-ethanol mixture injected into a high-performance engine under load is completely harmless.

Here is your opportunity to once again have the last word. Happy New Year.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:01 PM

Here is your opportunity to once again have the last word. Happy New Year.
Nope, all yours.

I clearly stated that my buddy was unaware of the ethanol issue, did not read the owners manual and as a result took no notice of whether the fuel was E10 or 'pure'.

You've moved the goal posts to a 'lean water-ethanol mixture'. A 'water/ethanol mixture' is NOT the same as a 'lean mixture'.

Last edited by Mikey; 01-01-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:50 AM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

You presume wrong. Not all premium fuel is ethanol free.

Talk about being accurate. After doing a little research I could not find a single gas station in Perth that had a premium gas with any ethanol content. All claim to be ethanol free.

In fact talking to all the major oil companies, not one has admitted to supplying premium gas laced with ethanol to any of their outlets. So only heaven knows where you are getting yours from.

Last edited by peddlarbob; 01-02-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,873 Likes on 7,151 Posts

I'm sure that's something that varies from region-to-region.

Here in Washington all the high octane/premium is E10. In Oregon (as near as I can tell) non-E10 premium is technically available at the pumps for road use but in looking at the availability maps it appears that only the boat marinas are actually selling it retail.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-02-2014, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
I'm sure that's something that varies from region-to-region.

Doug I totally agree with you on that.

I only researched Ontario Canada. I started with Perth because of the claim that Mikey had made. My final calls were made to the major oils themselves to find out what they were supplying just in case there was a difference.

I did leave out Sunoco because I am not sure they even know what they are supplying. Can never get a straight answer out of them on anything.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:15 AM

Not sure that I ever advanced the idea that Perth was the centre of the universe or what relevance that would have to the discussion even if true.

Does all high octane have ethanol in it? No.
Is all high octane fuel ethanol free? No.

Do I care one way or the other? Also no.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:58 AM

Not sure that I ever advanced the idea that Perth was the centre of the universe or what relevance that would have to the discussion even if true..

Reference post#15

Does all high octane have ethanol in it? No.
Is all high octane fuel ethanol free? No...

Within the boundaries of Ontario Canada as I stated all high octane premium gas is absolutely ethanol free according to the suppliers.

Do I care one way or the other? Also no.

Then I would suggest you leave it out of your arguments.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,873 Likes on 7,151 Posts

Ferrari - Prohibits use of E10 fuel - "...we suggest that our customers not use alcohol fuel in our vehicles.".

I suspected something slightly amiss here so just for giggles I pulled the owners manuals for three Ferraris. Besides the obvious contradiction of 'prohibits' versus '....we suggest...' I'd conclude that it's a misleading statement, perhaps outright false.

2007 599GTB: No prohibition of E10 whatsoever. Not even a warning or suggestion or gentle nudge against using it.

2003 Enzo: Same as above

1995 F50: No specific E10 warning or prohibition. However, on this model the fuel tank must be replaced every 10 years regardless of fuel used, and the manual does state that "....excessive additives ..... might necessitate earlier replacement" with ethanol being listed as one of the 'additives'.

Naturally, then, one might wonder if the other 'manufacturer' statements from the same document are accurate.

<shrug>

Cheers
DD

Old 01-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I have decided to try using E10-free fuel for a few months in the Jag and see if I notice any differences. Fortunately for me there is a Shell station in the next town over that says on the pump "Shell V-Power 91 gas contains no ethanol".

Old 01-03-2014, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Doug

Naturally, then, one might wonder if the other 'manufacturer' statements from the same document are accurate.

<shrug>

Cheers
DD

I did some similar research on other vehicles- NONE of had a prohibition on E10. Most had only a motherhood type statement similar to Jag's wording mentioned above.

What's rather ironic I guess is that the OP's question could have been answered in one reply. 'All high octane gas in Ontario is ethanol free'.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by BrentGardner
I have decided to try using E10-free fuel for a few months in the Jag and see if I notice any differences. Fortunately for me there is a Shell station in the next town over that says on the pump "Shell V-Power 91 gas contains no ethanol".
I'd be gobsmacked if there was any tangible difference from one brand to another.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:12 AM

What's rather ironic I guess is that the OP's question could have been answered in one reply. 'All high octane gas in Ontario is ethanol free'.

That is probably the same as most other questions that are asked on these forums. Amazing what you can learn with a little research.

Admittedly I have been out of the business for a few years now but when I was actively supplying gas station equipment to the Major oils, all the tanks were fitted with floating suctions. This means the gas you are purchasing comes off the top of the gas contained in the storage tanks. Only time you had a chance of getting water was when the tanks were getting low. This system was a great improvement over the older system of having submersible pumps in each tank. However I cannot help but wonder what effect this will have now that there are selective fuels with Ethanol in them. Accepting that every gas stations storage tank used to contain a certain amount of water, could we now be getting ethanol sludge pumped into our vehicles tanks when these storage tanks are on low instead of the water laced gas we stood a good chance of getting before.

I am sure a lot of improvements have been made in these systems since I retired, so more research to be done to bring myself up to date with the present procedures being used.

The following users liked this post:
Robinb (01-04-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by peddlarbob
...when I was actively supplying gas station equipment to the Major oils, all the tanks were fitted with floating suctions. This means the gas you are purchasing comes off the top of the gas contained in the storage tanks. Only time you had a chance of getting water was when the tanks were getting low. .... could we now be getting ethanol sludge pumped into our vehicles tanks when these storage tanks are on low instead of the water laced gas we stood a good chance of getting before.

I am sure a lot of improvements have been made in these systems since I retired, so more research to be done to bring myself up to date with the present procedures being used.
Look forward to the results of your research, Bob. The ethanol "sludge" you refer to will in fact be an ethanol/water mixture plus any additional crap that is soluble in ethanol but not in water. Emergencies excepted, I try to fill up the day after I see a tanker at a gas station. Always high-test, never E10.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:55 AM

I guess I just don't understand why some insist on attempting to convince others that the sky is falling despite the lack of any credible evidence to support it.

E10 is nothing new. There's been no increase in events of contaminated fuel since it's introduction several decades ago anymore than there's been an increase in damage caused directly by ethanol.

This is deja vu all over again- reminds me of the '70s when unleaded fuel was introduced. The predictions of widespread engine damage proved to be false with the exception of some WWII vintage designs, yet almost 50 years on, the grandchildren of these doomsayers still believe it's about to happen.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:52 PM

I guess I just don't understand why some insist on attempting to convince others that the sky is falling despite the lack of any credible evidence to support it....
No one says the sky is falling, only that E10 increases the odds. If you choose to skip over the implied warnings from Jaguar, if you choose to dismiss the postings from members of this forum, if you choose to ignore the vast amount of literature from respected sources on the Internet, it's little wonder you don't understand.

The following 2 users liked this post by Robinb:
DPK (01-04-2014), peddlarbob (01-04-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 06:54 PM

Mikey Maybe you could try and learn from Doug. His comments even when disagreeing with somebodies point of view are always without exception worded very politely and respectful. Yours on the other hand seem to border on being downright insulting each time.

I know I also have my moments also but at least I try to moderate them a little.

The following 2 users liked this post by peddlarbob:
plums (03-03-2014), Robinb (01-04-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 08:14 PM

I suppose my abruptness is fueled by members who consistently dig up dormant posts for no reason other than to fan the flames.

Both puns intended.

My apologies to all other members, yourself included.

Quick Reply: Sunoco/PetroCan 'Ultra 94' vs Shell 'VPower 91' gas