Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Clay Bar

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:50 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking Clay Bar

Just been looking for a new claybar...

I saw this on ebay

Blue 150g Car Clay Bar Auto Detailing Claybar Cleaner | eBay UK

Im no way connected with the seller...

I know you get what you pay for but has anyone tried it.

Pointers on a recommended claybar aleo appreciated need to do my E-Type ready for the Silverstone classic.

Will post some pics when done

Last edited by Car-Nut; 06-02-2011 at 03:02 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Generally, with clay, it's all the same rubbish with different colors and names. Being in the UK, I would try some Bilt Hamber clay. They sell "soft" and "regular" versions of their clay. Dodo Juice also makes "Supernatural" clay that I have had good results with on a few cars.

Soft is good for cars with less surfactants and regular is good for cars that see more exposure to the elements and debris.

The main thing to remember with clay is that ALL clay will induce some marring to your clear coat. No matter how soft they are. Claying the car should be followed up with a close inspection of the paint and at least some measure of polishing before moving on to your LSP (last step product like wax or a sealant).

Good luck with it and if you need any advice, tips or tricks, let me know. I have been detailing (as a pro and a hobbyist) for quite a while now and have detailed most everything from a train car to a Gallardo..lol

The following users liked this post:
Car-Nut (06-05-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Spyral,

Thanks for your reply....

Looks like I will need to buy both one for the daily hack and one for my E-Type

I never knew there was various clays

Any tips and tricks you care to pass on I'd love to here...

------

I havent done anything to the the paint on my 420g yet but to try out my new micro fibre cloths I did the bonnet (which is like the size of a football pitch) with paint cleaner and gave it a good buff with one of my new cloths and it came up really well Thanks for the tips on my other thread from you guys over the pond recommending them

Old 10-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello to all....I think it is a great idea to have a detail thread.....I am trying to get as much work in before the first snow as possible. "Paintxpert"

Last edited by Innovative Detailing; 10-20-2011 at 03:27 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be careful with clay....it can be abrasive. Shortening the life of your clearcoat, is not something you want to do. Use mild cleaners as a resort to aggressive polishes and compounds.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I bought this one early this summer; first ever for me...think my previous brushes with "clay" were when my brother and I were racing a Jeep in mud-bogs during our college years..and before that, in elementary school when we went on a field trip to a potter's establishment and played with wet clay on the turntable! So a first time ever as applied to an automotive finish for me:

DI Packages DI Ultra Fine Clay Bar 200g & Clay Lube | Detailed Image

I clay'd my XJ and assigned my 12 yr old to do daughter's S-type with strict instructions to toss it if he dropped it...still have well over 80% of the product left...and I think he dropped two specimens....in any case..it stores well in one of those plastic soap dishes you used in AOCS, with the entire assembly then sealed in a zip-loc bag.

Here's how it all came out:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/d...pective-56723/

Old 10-20-2011, 03:36 AM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

I have never tried it personally since I am here in the US. When purchasing clay, dont buy cheap, get the best you can. I recommend Auto Magic "Clay Magic" its worth every penny...Blue is the safest, its a fine grade.

If you clean you vehicle properly and take all precautions to not induce fresh scratches, clay is an awesome invention and a great tool for detailing!

BTW in my 25+ years of professional detailing I have never had to worry about clay minimizing the life of the clear coat, I have even taken mil reading with the ETC and its not reduced at all....just use the fine clay, not the aggressive one!

Last edited by Innovative Detailing; 10-20-2011 at 03:44 AM.