Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Cleaning/protecting Dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Cleaning/protecting Dash

I've been looking for a product to apply to the vinyl dash and trim of this and other cars that will clean and protect the dash, without long term drying. I have heard in the past that Armor All and similar products are not good for your dash in the long term. Is there anything that actually gets in there and conditions the dash, keeping it soft and clean for the long haul?

Old 11-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,895 Likes on 7,163 Posts

I use a product called "Aero 303" (or maybe it's Aerospace 303). I like it and I'm told it doesn't contain silicone (?).

But, I'm not a detailing guru. Others will chime in.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  19.3 KB

Jnp....Doug is pretty much on the money as I believe thats what a lot of the detailers use....good stuff.
Another great product and one that I use myself is , "Autoglym vinyl and rubber" its a water based product so does not leave a shiny / sticky residue on the dash etc.....It also leaves a wonderful lemon type smell and as the name suggests can be used on door rubbers and any vinyl / rubber trim

Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care £6.12 This amazingly versatile preparation dramatically simplifies cleaning and maintaining an immaculate all-round appearance on a multitude of surfaces.
Use on fascias, instrument panels, PVC door and seat facings, vinyl roofs, kick plates, door shuts, door seals, unpainted plastics, rubber, tyres and all similar areas.
Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care conditions and protects interior and exterior surfaces and forms a tough, but flexible, anti-static barrier against moisture, dust, oxidation, staining and fading.
If desired, a less shiny finish can be achieved by applying with a slightly dampened cloth. Can also be used as an engine bay surface conditioner following cleaning.
Please note that due to the slippery characteristics of this product it should never be used on tyre treads or on motorcycle tyres.
  • Can be used on multiple exterior and interior surfaces
  • Forms protective anti-static barrier
  • Easy to use
  • Autoglym is used and approved by over 20 car manufacturers, including Jaguar, Aston Martin, Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen
500ml trigger spray
Hope this helps JNP

Old 11-12-2010, 02:15 AM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jnporcello
I've been looking for a product to apply to the vinyl dash and trim of this and other cars that will clean and protect the dash, without long term drying. I have heard in the past that Armor All and similar products are not good for your dash in the long term. Is there anything that actually gets in there and conditions the dash, keeping it soft and clean for the long haul?
For years my go to product has always been Meguiar's APC + until recently that I had the opportunity to try 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium Interior Plastic Cleaner. It may cost more but the results are remarkable and a little bit goes a long way!!

1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium Interior Plastic Cleaner safely cleans all clear and colored automotive plastic interior fittings such as dash, trim, door panels, navigation/audio screens, steering wheel, and pedals. It leaves a long-lasting matte finish with fresh citrus scent!

1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium Interior Plastic Cleaner is the perfect everyday cleaner for interior plastic surfaces. It’s a mild cleaner to prevent the drying of these porous surfaces, yet it is effective at removing body oils and grime on a regular basis.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David, what retail chain is that cleaner sold in? I live in Tampa FL and have an S-Type with the Sand interior. I am trying to determine what is leather and what is simulated leather on the dashboard and doors and what to use on each part. My last car was all plastic and cloth and my old mustang ('73) had vinyl throughout. First car I have owned in a while with true leather included in the interior.

Thanks ahead of time for the assistance.

Last edited by Innovative Detailing; 12-24-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

If you have a VDP (leather dash), can you use Lexol or similar?

Old 12-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ToddbinFLA
David, what retail chain is that cleaner sold in? I live in Tampa FL and have an S-Type with the Sand interior. I am trying to determine what is leather and what is simulated leather on the dashboard and doors and what to use on each part. My last car was all plastic and cloth and my old mustang ('73) had vinyl throughout. First car I have owned in a while with true leather included in the interior.

Thanks ahead of time for the assistance.
Todd, you are very welcome.......I purchased my Einsett from this place and they are in Florida, they are also offering 15% and free shipping thru Dec 26, 2010

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/eicopr.html

Happy Holiday's