Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Detailing trim

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default Detailing trim

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  7.4 KB

[font=verdana][size=2][align=left]

[align=center]

DETAILING TRIM

Painted black trim is often difficult to properly maintain. If you wax it, the original satin finish will begin to take on gloss. If you don't treat it, the trim will fade.

Trim is anything the manufacturer or you apply to the car to enhance its style and appearance. It is trim that makes the difference between an otherwise plain-looking car and a sharp automobile. However, due to the time involved in maintaining trim, it is often overlooked.
Over time, trim that is not maintained will become dirty, dull and worn, making the whole car look bad. Well-maintained trim stands out and makes the whole car look better.
Common trim items include chrome bumpers, window molding, chrome light rings, chrome door handles, rubber door and bumper guards, window wipers, emblems and antennas. On classic and antique cars, you might also have horns, leather straps, hood ornaments and exposed exhaust manifolds.
Black Trim
Most cars made during the 1980s and 1990s featured some black trim. Most black trim pieces are made of plastic, rubber, anodized aluminum or satin black painted metal.
All black trim should be regularly cleaned with car wash shampoo. If extra scrubbing power is required, use a toothbrush, paintbrush or a soft detailing brush. Do not use a stiff bristle brush on black trim, as it will scratch.
To keep black trim in good condition, it must be treated with a protectant 6-8 times a year. There are different treatments for different materials.
On smooth black plastic, you can use any vinyl and rubber dressing. For best long-term results, choose a vinyl and rubber dressing that contains ultraviolet (UV) protection to prevent sun fading, such as Sonus Total Eclipse.
On textured black plastic, use a vinyl and rubber dressing. A gel product, like Sonus Tire & Bumper Dressing Gel offers longer protection and a rich, glossy look.
If your textured black plastic is heavily weathered or faded, you can bring it back to life with a product like Forever Black, which is a dye system for black plastic and rubber trim. It's advertised as a permanent solution, but in my experience it will only last a couple of years if the vehicle remains in the sun. Also, don't think that Forever Black is a replacement for vinyl and rubber dressing. It's not. AfterForever Black cures, you still need to keep the trim protected and looking good with vinyl and rubber dressing.
To maintain black anodized trim, use a noncleaning wax or sealant. Anodized aluminum must be treated with great care. The coating is very thin. Even the mildest abrasives (polish and cleaners) will quickly scuff or remove the coating. The sun is a problem, too, as exposure to UV rays will fade black anodized trim.
Painted black trim is often difficult to properly maintain. If you wax it, the original satin finish will begin to take on gloss. If you don't treat it, the trim will fade and become flat. The best solution I've found so far is to treat satin black trim (windshield wipers are a good example) with Meguiar's Exterior Trim Detailer. This product is amazing on these trim areas, offers a natural satin finish, wipes off to a greaseless finish, and won't soften the black paint. Simply spray on and and thoroughly buff dry after applying.
Rubber Seals
Rubber seals and moldings around windows, doors, lights, hood, trunk and bumpers are designed to protect the car from water, wind and dirt. These rubber components also trim the car to enhance its appearance. If you do not maintain rubber seals, they will become stiff and brittle, and will eventually crack or tear.
Clean rubber door, trunk and hood seals with soap and water twice a year. Treat the seals with a water-based vinyl and rubber dressing. After coating the seals, allow the dressing to penetrate for 10 to 15 minutes, then dry the seals with a clean towel. I use Sonus Total Eclipse on seals. It dries completely oil-free and protects againt cracking.
Some car manufacturers, such as Porsche and BMW, recommend using talcum powder on door and hood seals to provide lubrication. This will extend the life of the door seal. Simply sprinkle a small amount of talcum powder on a small piece of T-shirt material and wipe it onto the seal after applying rubber and vinyl dressing.
Rubber seals around windows, lights, door handles and mirrors should also be cleaned twice a year using a brush and soapy water. However, these "exposed" rubber seals should be treated more frequently than door and hood seals, as they get heavy UV radiation from the sun.
I recommend treating window seals with rubber and vinyl protectant once a month. Apply the protectant prior to cleaning your windows. Use a generous amount, and allow it to penetrate before buffing dry. When working in tight areas, use a cotton or foam swab to apply the dressing. Use a quick detailing spray to clean off excess protectant from painted surfaces.
Badges
Many cars have badges or emblems sporting the manufacturer's crest or the name of the automobile. These badges are easily cleaned with a soft toothbrush or detailing brush and soapy water.
If the dirt is stubborn, use a higher-strength cleaner, such as 303 Aerospace Cleaner. Be sure to flush thoroughly with water after using one of these cleaners.
After cleaning, protect the badge with a coat of wax or sealant. Remove any excess wax with a quick detailing spray and a clean toothbrush or detailing brush.
Car name emblems are often more difficult to clean and wax around than a badge. Most often, the emblem is a script that sits right on the paint. Waxing around these emblems is a challenge, as a polishing cloth won't reach between the letters to remove wax residue. In this case, use cotton swabs, or wrap the head of a tooth brush with a single layer of cotton T-shirt material.
Door & Bumper Guards
Many cars include door and bumper molding that serves to protect the car from door dings and soft bumps. Treat these pieces of trim with rubber and vinyl protectant once a month to keep them in good shape. I like Sonus Tire & Bumper Dressing Gel for this job. It works great under the hood, too.
Door and bumper molding should be thoroughly cleaned twice a year with soapy water and a toothbrush or detailing brush. Dirt commonly builds up on the bottom edges, in cracks or around the small caps used to terminate the ends of molding pieces. Use the brush and soapy water to get in the cracks as deeply as possible.
Light Covers
Plastic light covers scratch easily. After only a few months on the road, light covers will begin to show signs

Old 09-21-2007, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: Detailing trim

Good post Jim...the author seems to like Sonus products...might give some a try.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 102

I have Buck and love em

The Sonus tyre and bumper dressing gel is fantastic product

Jim

Old 11-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the post Jim. Very informative.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 107

Thanks Michael..............I thought it was pretty good too.
I try and keep my car as clean as possible and have picked up quite a few tricks along the way but this guys seems to have it all. The products he recommends are fantastic too

Jim

Old 03-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"On textured black plastic, use a vinyl and rubber dressing. A gel product, like Sonus Tire & Bumper Dressing Gel offers longer protection and a rich, glossy look.
If your textured black plastic is heavily weathered or faded, you can bring it back to life with a product like Forever Black, which is a dye system for black plastic and rubber trim. It's advertised as a permanent solution, but in my experience it will only last a couple of years if the vehicle remains in the sun. Also, don't think that Forever Black is a replacement for vinyl and rubber dressing. It's not. AfterForever Black cures, you still need to keep the trim protected and looking good with vinyl and rubber dressing. " (OP)

I have a BMW that the black plastic trim has picked up a bunch of wax residue and other contaminates over the years. I heard about using peanut butter to remove it. Long story short... I tried it and it works great! It made the white dull faded black trim look brand new! and it has looked that way for almost 3 months now. Just apply creamy peanut butter like you would polish a small area of paint and within seconds it's close to perfect! Try it out, itt's worth the trouble.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

PB huh, you're making me hungry. I'll keep that tip in mind.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

How do you remove the fading and oxidation from the black rubber trim, say above the windshield?