Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

DR ColorChip Paint Chip Repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DR ColorChip Paint Chip Repair

I had not seen anything about this product in the forum so I thought I would add my experience.

My car had a number of chips and road rash around the headlights and on the hood. My car is black so they really stand out.

I saw this product advertised during the Mecum Auto Auction and decided to give it a try. I ordered a kit from their website. You can enter the year make and model or the paint code from your car to e sure you get the right paint. They had mine - Anthracite Pearl.

I ordered the kit on Friday and received it the following Monday. It contained the correct paint, some paint brushes of varying sizes, a rubber glove, a lint free towel and solvent that is used to remove excess paint.

If you have not seen the ad on TV - you fill the paint chip or scratch with paint using one of the brushes with a generous amount of paint and then immediately smear the paint blob with a gloved finger. You keep doing that - paint/smear/paint/smear.... until all of the scratches are filled. Once dry (up to 2 hours after application), you apply some of the solvent to a dry lint free cloth and gently rub the excess paint off the finish. As long as you don't rub too hard the excess paint will come off without removing the new paint from the chip.

It all sounds a little crazy but it works! I first tried it on some inconspicuous chips on the bumper and gradually moved to the headlight surrounds and then the hood and then to some light scratches on the door panels and fenders. For small scratches and road rash the change was fantastic. It can't fix everything but it fixed most of it.

It was not as effective on a couple of larger chips but there was improvement for those also. I may try going back over those.

I paid around $60 for the kit. Well worth it. I am thrilled with the results. s. I attempted to attach a before and after shot showing the headlight surrounds from the right hand side of the car. I hope I did it right. I plan to go back over the entire area again because I did miss some spots....

Joe
98 VDP

Attached Thumbnails DR ColorChip Paint Chip Repair-dscf2255.jpg   DR ColorChip Paint Chip Repair-dscf2271.jpg  
Old 09-29-2010, 01:19 PM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Looks awesome, for $60.00 you definitely scored.........

Old 10-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, I just found a tiny paint chip on the hood by the leaper. Apparently I got hit by a rock on the interstate. I'm sad. I'll try this!

Old 10-15-2010, 07:00 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Shameless plug - I have an unused cabernet pearl Dr. ColorChip kit I'm selling for $25+ shipping if you want to try it for less than full price. (I sold the car.)

Otherwise they charge $9 for new bottle of matching paint, which is nice. Seems like an honest company with an effective product...