Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Drying your car

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 03:04 AM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I guess my leaf blower isn't powerful enough because it always leaves some annoying droplets!

Then again, I no longer wash my car the traditional two bucket way--I use ONR!
ONR didnt work to my expectation, I have since switched to Poly's, far better results, IMO

Originally Posted by aholbro1
ONR?
Do tell. ...
ONR> I recommend Poly's

What is Poly’s? The consummate professionals in the car care and detailing world are the technicians who prepare the vehicles for car shows and specialty events. Each year 200-300 detailing technicians prep thousands of vehicles for the nearly 90 shows in the North American Auto Show Network. Since 2001, increasing numbers of these detailing professionals have experienced why Poly’s Clear-Tech Detailing Fluid is the most revolutionary and effective product they have ever used.
Poly’s is truly multi-faceted. It performs multiple functions and excels in each one. All other vehicle care products can only do one or two tasks competently. Poly’s is the only water-based product that is able to clean exteriors and interiors including leather, while leaving an incredible, protective shine on hard surfaces like paint, glass and chrome. Poly’s helps protect and preserve the cosmetic integrity of softer surfaces including clear plastics, black moldings, and window gaskets. Auto show detailers are saving significant time, money and effort by using this one amazing product. You should too.
How Is Poly’s Applied? It’s All In The Mix!

Poly’s is an easier way of washing your car. Use Poly’s like a normal car wash by adding one or two caps to every gallon of water, (1:420 dilution). You may also dry wash, spot clean, interior clean and spray-shine by adding only one cap of Poly’s to a quart of water, (1:120 dilution). Just spray on and wipe off. NO RINSE. This same multi-purpose detail spray dilution is perfect for use as a clay glide, color sanding and buffing lubricant and chrome polish. For windows, add no more than a 1/2 cap of Poly’s to a quart of water, which equals a 1:240 dilution.
Advanced Science And Performance!

Poly’s Clear-Tech Detailing Fluid is formulated for the more demanding care and protection of clear coat finishes. Its super wetting, low foaming polymer technology cleans by flowing underneath the dirt particles and lifting them from your vehicle’s surface. Poly’s lubricating micro-gel polymer actually helps dirt glide off your car with minimal wiping action. The micro-gel polymer not only minimizes scratching while cleaning dirt particles, it also dries on your vehicle’s surface creating an ultra long lasting shine and semi-protective coating. Regular, continued use of this product will remove mild paint oxidation and help prevent etching from hard water, bird droppings, tree sap and even eggs. It will extend the life of applied wax finishes. Poly’s exclusive micro-gel polymer is not a wax or silicone. Therefore it does not build-up, fade away or yellow like most wax or silicone additives in old technology car washes. No traditional wash and wax product protects or shines as well as Poly’s.
What’s Wrong With Old Technology Car Wash Soaps?
Traditional carwash soaps use large amounts of foam to stick to your vehicle’s surface and “capture” the dirt particles. High foaming cleaners rely on more vigorous wiping action to move soil and foam off your car’s surface. This process has four disadvantages.
1. The foam entrapped dirt particles can actually scratch your car’s finish.
2. Large amounts of water are required to rinse the foam away.
3. If any foam is allowed to dry on your car’s surface it can eventually stain the paint.
4. Higher foaming car washes typically contain more alkaline (elevated pH) cleaners that strip waxes, eventually dull the paint and offer no conditioning or protection for the clear coat.
Poly’s Is Environmentally Friendly!

Poly’s Clear-Tech Detailing Fluid is virtually non-toxic. All of Poly’s ingredients are safe and biodegradable. Poly’s does not use high alkaline cleaners or caustic builders that foam excessively. In fact, Poly’s is gentle and generally non-irritating to human skin. Poly’s is ultra concentrated and has a dilution ratio of 1:420 and higher. This means that significantly lower amounts of active ingredients are rinsed away compared to traditional products. Poly’s low foaming, dynamic cleaning action rinses clean very quickly. Compared to old technology car washes, Poly’s can slash rinse water usage by 40 to 70 percent.

Originally Posted by frogplop
OK
you guys have discussed washing and drying
waht is yoiu take on the best polish and cloths i have always found that when i polish a car it leaves all the swirl marks black is the worst
frogplop

When washing use a grout sponge, dry your vehicle off using an SM Arnold Water Sprite, they are fabulous,,,for polishing and waxing you can use the Costco MF towels, great buy for the price or check with Rob at Wholesale Microfiber Towels - Microfiber Car Cloth (Wholesale Pricing) for some great towel deals!

Stay away from wash mitts that trap dirt and dont use a California Duster

Old 07-02-2011, 06:34 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting info on Poly's, something I will research further...

I would also be iterested to hear about your 'detailing dolly' THANKS

Old 07-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After I've had a bath, I use my towel to dry the car.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I been using a normal towel 100 percent cotton however it starts off dry on the roof I think I will damp it a little also where can I get this poly stuff from thanks for all the good info

Old 07-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also what is a grout sponge and where can I get it from

Old 07-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

I use a synthetic chamois called "The Absorber". Have always liked it.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:56 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wash my car at my office/factory and then drive over to the carwash (about 200 yards away) and put $4 bucks in the slot for a 'pure water final rinse'. I then drive it round the block and it eventually dries without a mark and without touching it.

Attached Thumbnails Drying your car-dsc00258.jpg   Drying your car-dsc00260.jpg   Drying your car-dsc00257.jpg  

Last edited by direng; 07-31-2011 at 04:12 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Car-Nut
Has anyone heard of the way how to wash your car dry (no joking)

I read about it on an E-Type site a while back

Has anyone used the method ?
Drying a Vehicle using water

Sheet the water by using a gentle flow of water direct from the hose (without a water nozzle) starting from the top downwards, and then use a water blade on the glass surfaces. Remove the water from the paint surfaces with a blower, again from the top downwards and then finish off with a waffle weave towel and a drying / lubrication aid (Dodo Juice -Time to Dry) diluted 1:1 with distilled water

Water sheeting (Marangoni Effect)

[: since a liquid with a high surface tension pulls more strongly on the surrounding liquid than one with a low surface tension, the presence of a gradient in surface tension will naturally cause the liquid to flow away from regions of low surface tension]

This is my preferred method of drying a vehicle paint surface; on the final rinse of the washing process remove the nozzle from the hose, reduce the water pressure and hold the end of the hose parallel to the paint and reasonably close as this is will prevent splashing as you flood the surface; this drying method helps to eliminate water-spotting. Use a forced air blower to remove water residue and then follow up with a waffle weave micro fibre towel to thoroughly dry the paint surface

I have tried many products over the years for drying but I finally found what really works the best, a micro fibre waffle weave drying towel. When they are wet they’re very soft and super absorbent, and glide easily over the surface, the ‘pockets’ in the weave ‘hold’ any dirt or surface debris unlike some other super absorbing products that trap dirt between the towel and paint surface with the potential to cause so serious scratches (never use it when it’s dry and stiff – it can potentially scratch) Wet –Wring- Wipe

Old 07-31-2011, 04:45 AM

[I stay away from genuine leather chamois, they have a tendency to strip off wax for some reason.]

The inherent problem of any flat weave drying towel; is that it breaks the surface tension to ‘lift’ the water from the surface along with any protective wax. Modem synthetic materials have gained ground and the use of chamois is being replaced by Micro fibre waffle weave technology as they hold more water (approx. 5 times more water, therefore require wringing out less often) and will not `pull' wax from a paint surface as the ‘dimpled ‘pattern of the towel allows air pockets that do not allow ‘lift’ like a flat towel surface

Old 07-31-2011, 06:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

While we're on the subject, does anyone know of an inexpensive means of removing minor scratches from a clear-coated paint?

The manufacturers of my polishing compound say ' not for use on clear coated finishes'.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys are right on track!!! In fact I have been doing detailing and paint rejuvenation SINCE 1969. The gentleman that stated the least times you touch your finish the better, is absolutly right!!! The leaf blower hit the nail on the head. Dry further after the blower with a damp micro fibre OPPOSITE of the way you normally dry the car. UP and DOWN on the sides. In order to counteract scratching you can spray your favorite carnuba on the FOLDED in fours..(Not a LOT, just a spray).damp microfibre. Your goal is "Optical Perfection" This keeps the rag from MARRING the paint as you dry. Follow with a soft dry micro to remove remaining wax. Just my take. "Paintxpert" search it....or "expertautopolishing"

Old 09-22-2011, 02:17 PM

I can tell you that you can RUIN the paint job if you DONT know what your doing! That is a fact....In fact I see it about ten times a year. The owner wants to get a bird crap off and rubs through the clear coat. Get a pros advice. If it stops your finger nail its NOT coming out. Paintxpert.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:21 PM

Compound can be very aggressive to auto paint. All of a sudden your rubbing and your through the clear.....guess what its body shop time. It took me thirty eight years to learn the art of scratch removal on expensive vehicles. Once you dull it with compound you need someone to high speed polish it. Power polishing is also an art today.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:25 PM

If it says not for clear coats I would NOT use it. If I can help let me know. I need the year and model and the color. If the scratch takes on a light color then that could be primer color. If it stops your fingernail when lightly going over it. Likely its too deep. Good luck!!! Paintxpert......JUNIOR MEMBER.....

Old 09-22-2011, 02:31 PM

DONT DRY YOUR MICRO FIBRE TOWELS IN THE DRYER. It takes away their absorbency. Paintxpert....... Shine since 1969 My business has been built on educating my customers..... Your ability to take care of your cars finish, once it is polished is my business. Go to my site if you have questions.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I also use a leaf blower it works very well and no worries about scratching finish.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:16 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Paintxpert
I can tell you that you can RUIN the paint job if you DONT know what your doing! That is a fact....In fact I see it about ten times a year. The owner wants to get a bird crap off and rubs through the clear coat. Get a pros advice. If it stops your finger nail its NOT coming out. Paintxpert.
Paintexpert what is the best way to get BC off your car then?

I always try to reove it ASAP once Ive seen it.

My x330 has two places on the bonnet where you can see it has been scrubbed by a PO so I will need a repray.

Tips welcome

Old 09-28-2011, 03:46 AM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Car-Nut
Paintexpert what is the best way to get BC off your car then?

I always try to reove it ASAP once Ive seen it.

My x330 has two places on the bonnet where you can see it has been scrubbed by a PO so I will need a repray.

Tips welcome
The best way to remove bird droppings is to do it ASAP to avoid any severe damage. Birds digestive system is made up of some very acidic properties...which therefore allow them to pick up food or insects that may be in the dirt or sand. I have even heard of cases where birds have digested glass particles and excreted them onto the paint along with the droppings. So not knowing the extent of the birds diet, its always best to take a safe approach to remove as not to scratch or damage the paint.

My suggestion for removing bird droppings is to cover the dropping with a MF towel. Then saturate the MF towel with your Quick Detailer of choice, allow it to soak and penetrate....then after a few minutes gently wipe it up.....(Do not drag it)

As for the previous stains or etchings a pro detailer should be able to advise you if these are correctable either by colorsanding or machine polishing....

Old 10-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the leaf blower, but stick with electric. Some gas models tend to blow oil mist out the discharge.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great read, already have an electric leaf blower, time to search for the other stuff

Quick Reply: Drying your car