Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Engine Bonnet Insulation Cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:49 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Engine Bonnet Insulation Cover

The insulation cover on the inside of the bonnet ('01 XKR Coupe w/86k miles) is dirty and needs to be cleaned and refreshed. I took a vacuum cleaner to the cover but did not improve the appearance. What do you recommend to clean this cover? Would steam work, like was recommended to clean seat belts?

Old 09-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

For cleaning the BIC or hood liner, I would either go with the steam method or a light spraying of APC+ followed by a light blast with a pressure washer. Use a blower or compressed air to dry, being careful not to saturate the engine. Some of these liners when showing their age, can deteriorate easily and crumble...so inspect thoroughly before cleaning!!

Old 09-23-2010, 11:36 AM

By APC do you mean All Purpose Cleaner? What cleaner do you recommend?

Would you recommend a carpet cleaner followed by blowing the liner to dry?

I plan on trying this over the weekend and will report the results. The alternative is to purchase a new liner at $200, so I am motivated on the cleaning side.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:05 AM

Meguiar's has a "Detailer Line" it is their All Purpose Cleaner +

Not too sure about carpet cleaner, it may not have the strength of the APC+ formula which is made for automotive applications....

Would love to hear how your project went, please keep us tuned!

Old 09-24-2010, 07:20 AM
Default Engine Bonnet Insulation Cover

David, I took your advice and ordered the Mequire's All Purpose Cleaner to use on the cover. Do you dilute this product? I read where other's have used it and used a ratio of 10:1. I'll read the product's instructions but was wondering what you would use to clean the cover after 86k miles. I plan on using the product on the interior carpets as well.

I show the car in the Jaguar Concours Championship class and have attended 4 shows this year with a final showing in Oct. The judges deducted a few points for this dirty cover, thus the inquiry. The car has averaged a score of 99.8 for the last 3 shows.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by stremsjg
David, I took your advice and ordered the Mequire's All Purpose Cleaner to use on the cover. Do you dilute this product? I read where other's have used it and used a ratio of 10:1. I'll read the product's instructions but was wondering what you would use to clean the cover after 86k miles. I plan on using the product on the interior carpets as well.

I show the car in the Jaguar Concours Championship class and have attended 4 shows this year with a final showing in Oct. The judges deducted a few points for this dirty cover, thus the inquiry. The car has averaged a score of 99.8 for the last 3 shows.
Great, you will be pleased!.....just make sure you purchased the APC+, they also offer APC.......The APC+ has fabric brightner's and softner's.....and a low PH as well........I use a 5 gallon storage jug and I mix it 1/2 gallon to 4.5 gallon of H2O....

Hopefully at the next show, after this little project you will score a 100!!

Good luck!

Old 12-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be warned they shrink with cleaning if you not careful
My s type shrunk so much it ripped every hole out! a good 50mm.